Martin S-O Ukulele

Marshmallow

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Martin S-O. Does anybody have any experience with one?

Attachments

• IMG_8559.jpg
    IMG_8559.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8550_2 copy.jpg
    IMG_8550_2 copy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 14
don't have one, but any martin are good! martins are considered second to kamakas(well the really old ones!) but it all depends on what sound you're going for!( no two ukes of the same brands sounds alike,they are unique like people.) so test it out if possible.

I have a Martin S-O

I have a Martin S-O solid mahogany ukulele. It has a very bright sound that jumps out of the instrument. I have an Oscar Schmidt, which was a good starter uke but the Martin is heads above it for sound quality. I bring mine everywhere and will play it anywhere. The bright sound of the Martin S-O carries well and is always wonderful, (even if my playing sometimes isn't)

I know this post is very much after the original post, but thought I would reply for others who may be looking for similar feedback.

this topic was the longest I've ever encountered recently resurrected here.
The Martin S-O was still new to almost players in 2008.
Now, this Martin model is almost vintage.:D

It's discontinued now. Replaced by the S-1. The S-O got mixed reviews, but I have one and like it a lot. I replaced the tuners with closed gear Grovers. Also added a passive pickup, and switched it to low G tuning. I use it as my travel uke. The S-1 also gets underwhelming reviews, but I've tried a couple and think that they are great, especially with the extended fretboard.

I have an SO and it a great uke , I added side markers and fret markers like a style 1 . I tried out an S1 and thought it sounded alot like the SO.
I prefer the SO over the S1 , I'm not a fan of extended fretboards. If you do a search on this site there is alot of info on the SO .

The S-O is made in Mexico and has received mixed reviews. Now discontinued, you might be able to get a good deal on a gently used one. I bought a new one at a reduced price a while back and am quite happy with it. I've tried a number of different strings and have settled on Worth medium browns to give me the sound I was looking for. Good luck on your search.

Top Bottom