PDA

View Full Version : A rose by any other name

brokenwing
05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
some pretty intriguing forum names here at UU. Care to share how you came up with them?

I've used brokenwing for years on guitar forums. it's from Blackbird of course, but I chose it because it describes the "arc" of my life. I still fly, just not as well...

seeso
05-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Mine is boring. My real name is Narciso.

"seeso" is just my nickname "Ciso," spelled phonetically.

If I spelled it "Ciso," everyone would be pronouncing it, "Cisco."

Told you. Boring.

ukusaurus
05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Seeso at least yours has a story behind it. I was just thinking of dinosaurs at the time then thought of a giant ukulele dinosaur taking over the world. In a way ukuleleunderground is like a giant ukulele dinosaur taking over the world! :D

Misguided Musician
05-01-2008, 07:34 PM
My name was just something I came up with. I have no real idea. I just thought of how I loved learning my instruments as a musician and how figuring it out misguidedly was fun. Put those together and u have my name.

Vroom
05-01-2008, 07:58 PM
well, mine isn't that special either.

My last name is Vroom, and everyone I know except my family calls me vroom... So my nickname is Vroom. haha

14twelve
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Mine's my birthday (in Australia we do day, then month, rather than month then day).

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Mine's my birthday (in Australia we do day, then month, rather than month then day).

yes we do day then mouth.. but at school i do month then day because i been on another forum for over a year and im use to it.. teachers go off..

Ok So MINE!.. is straight forward

UkuLeLe = Ukulele
Reggae = Reggae Music!

the s.. is just like ukuleles reggae music.. basically what it means :D

deach
05-02-2008, 01:32 AM
When I was a freshman in high school, I played football. They put a piece of tape on your helmet and wrote your last name on it. The first play I was in, I speared someone and part of the tape ripped off. From that day on, everyone except my family, called me by my abbreviated last name. Even my kids call me deach.

Plainsong
05-02-2008, 02:14 AM
I started out in online life with the name Aria because some friends at college thought it would be cool. It kind of stuck but I never warmed up to it. This was back in the days of telnet and gopher and before the www. Then fastforwarding to modern times, when signing up for a forum I decided I wanted a music type name, and Plainsong lept out because it's one of my husband and my's song, it's a great album, and it's original meaning is of the kind of chanting that you think of monks doing.

menehunenyc
05-02-2008, 03:26 AM
I grew up in Kailua Hi, from 2 - 18 years. I went away to college and never moved back except for summer breaks. 20 years later I find myself aching for my Hawaiian home (my whole family still lives there), by my wife and kids are set up well here in Brooklyn NY. I thought of the name when signing up on Youtube last year; I wanted a name that tied me back to Hawaii. I always loved the image of the clever menehunes that are so much a part of Hawaiian legend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but legend has it that nothing sacred should be taken out of Hawaii for fear of being cursed, and I think that menehune fall in this category. In short, I felt at times that I never should have taken myself out of Hawaii...not that I'm sacred to Hawaii by any means...So, I feel like a menehune in nyc, shortened to menehunenyc. Lately, more so since I joined UU, that maybe I've been insensitive to the 'sacredness' of menehune by using it as a name. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you all if you think this is true, or if I'm being overly sensitive.
Thanks for this post, I fell like I've lifted a mountain off my shoulders...

Latinleaders
05-02-2008, 04:41 AM
Some interesting names, and interesting stories.

Mine's simple but I like it, it's just an anagram of my first name and surname.
I wanted to move away from my old name IceFunkBreezer / Icefunk as I've used in previous sites.

I like funny and interesting anagrams so I used an anagram wizard on my name which is "Daniel Letras" and I found "Latin Leaders". My name's good for anagrams 'cause it has a good balance of vowels and consenants but
Latin Leaders was one of my favourites.

Some other good anagrams of my name include:

Ireland Tales
Altered Snail
Ideal Antlers
Linda Stealer (could be an alliace)

and oddly enough... Ladies Rental:eek:

GX9901
05-02-2008, 05:12 AM
I used to post on some Japanese toy related forums. I choose GX9901 because it's the model number of the main robot (Gundam Double X (http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/x/gx-9901-dx.htm)) in my favorite Gundam series, Gundam X. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of Gundam shows and Double X is the absolute least made (in terms of models & toys) Gundams in Gundam history. I'm still waiting for a diecast Gundam Double X or Master Grade Gundam Double X kit some day (not holding my breath).

I'm mostly past that part of my life as ukuleles has taken over (hey, selling off some of the old collection helps fund ukes!), but I just decided to keep the name alive. Lame but true.:p

brokenwing
05-02-2008, 05:17 AM
menehunenyc,
you can take the boy out of Kailua but you can't take Kailua out of the boy.

I don't think you've crossed any lines or shown any disrespect. Just the fact that you've given the matter thought absolves you, IMO. Embrace who you are.:)

Valerie
05-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Well... My name is Valerie. Not very origional, I know. Often online I use my middle name: Dodge or some form of that. But when I do people end up thinking me a guy.

I do still use Dodge more for online things, voice acting, and as a pen name. But I was happy that I beat all the other Valeries to this site and could use that, for once, instead.

Ukulele Dude
05-02-2008, 06:26 AM
When I signed up, I put in Ukulele Dude, thinking it would already be taken, but it wasn't. It's simple, and to the point.

And I'm a fan of the movie The Big Lebowski, in which the main character calls himself 'the Dude'.

russ_buss
05-02-2008, 07:17 AM
some years back, i had a coworker named dana washington. whenever i'd call her extension, her outgoing message would say, "russ buss is not available, please leave a message". i never understood why she used "russ buss" and not her name "dana". it was a big company and we weren't that close so it wasn't an inside joke either. over the years, i've used russbuss here and there for account names because it always stuck in my head.

by the way, great idea for a thread. always fun to see how people come up with their screen names.

russell

Neil Cursed Diamond
05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm a Black Crowes fan, and every year they do a Halloween show in costume as another band. One year they went on as BC/DC. They also have a song called Cursed Diamond.

Someone suggested they go out as Neil Cursed Diamond next year. So...Neil Cursed Diamond.

davoomac
05-02-2008, 09:27 AM
hm well mine's pretty boring.

First name david, last name macapinlac -> mac for short

I got davoo (day-voo) because my sister called me that all the time and I chose that for a nickname on my internet accounts. :p She says that she got it from my classmate in Kindergarten he used to call me davooo all the time.

Other nicknames include: Mac, Macdaddy, BigMac, Mac-a-ping-pong, Mac-attack, Mac-a-pac, and any other variation of "mac". Most people call me mac, but some of the names got pretty annoying haha

NotoriousMOK
05-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Mine is sort of an anti-alias. To some I appear threatening (or Notorious) at first, although the reality is that I'm a pretty passive/peaceful fellow (sometimes I'm downright friggin' jolly). No doubt the Samoan blood and the rice has contributed to my handsome 'bulk' ;). My wife used to call me a 'Mok' in an attempt to be insulting, but I thought it was kinda funny as did my friends. Their kids have grown up calling me "Unca Mok".

In the end, the nickname stuck, but the wife (now 'ex')didn't. Good things come to those who wait. :rolleyes:

Have fun!

Keonikapila
05-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Mine's pretty straightforward...

Keoni ==> Hey, that's me!
+
Kanikapila ==> "To play music"
=
Keonikapila ;)

nikolo727
05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Well since I started playing the ukulele I have been in love with Hawaii.

Everyone looks so happy and peaceful there.

Like they are one big family.

So I went online and looked up what my name would be in Hawaii: Nick.

and it is....nikolo.

7 and 2 are my favorite numbers but Im leaning toward liking 7 more so 727.

nikolo727!

woo

Tsani
05-02-2008, 10:52 AM
My name - "Tsani" - is pronounced "Cha-nee" - or in English "Johnny". It is Cherokee. I am Cherokee from my mother's people. Most people in the world call me John.

cheeseburger
05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Um...I just really like cheeseburgers.

UkuleleAddiction
05-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I just joined. My forum name is UkuleleAddiction because...
http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dneece/pics/ukes1.jpg
http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dneece/pics/ukes2.jpg
http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dneece/pics/ukes3.jpg

Of course I've sold some and bought some since these pics were taken. :D

Digital SQRATCH
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
well on the side i dj, and ive been into the turntablism/skratch scene since about 96, hence the name SQRATCH. dj'ing/turntablism is one of those things that is just in my blood and i can never get tired of it (hey im filipino, so i eithir breakdance, sing, or dj LOL! jk) :P

i added DIGITAL just to add some updated flare to my name (and its also my xbl gamertag!)

backdoc972
05-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, I'm a Chiropractor (spine doctor). My graduating class at Palmer College of Chiropractic was class 972.

brokenwing
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I just joined. My forum name is UkuleleAddiction because...
http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dneece/pics/ukes1.jpg

Of course I've sold some and bought some since these pics were taken. :DThat can't be healthy...:eek:

Kaneohe til the end
05-02-2008, 06:58 PM
i was trying to figure out a sn for this site, while listening to in the end by linkin park, change in to til, and i live in kaneohe, so...kaneohe til the end

Aldrine Guerrero
05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Aldrine Guerrero is my name :D Plain and simple.

Although the TRUE meaning to UkuleleOVERSOUL.... will not be revealed at this time hahahaha.

OrangeUke
05-02-2008, 08:53 PM
My favorite color is orange . . . not very creative huh?

Poi Dog
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I was going to create "HawaiianJohn" - my usual screen name for forums, but for the most part, I wanted something different this time around.

I own a website called Poi-Dog.Net (it hasn't been updated in a long long time). And my dog "Roxie" is a Poi-Dog (Hawaiian Mut)... besides, feel like a Hawaiian Kine Mut also. LOL

Roxie - my Poi Dog! :D
http://a977.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/61/l_e653a2698bc318b28b63834849f06ee8.jpg

Howlin Hobbit
05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Back when I was twelve (that was... umm... counts on fingers... uh oh!... takes shoes off... uh oh!... ahem... many years ago) I was a hall monitor at school and two girls came by. One of them says to the other, "Doesn't he look like a Hobbit?"

I should explain, I'm very short now and was even shorter then. Plus, I was wearing hush puppies and thus had fuzzy feet.

I asked them WTF they were talking about and they told me about the book. I read it. I decided that "Hobbit" was vastly preferable to "shorty" or "tubby" or whatever and encouraged it.

Leap forward mumblemumble years and I'm regularly sitting in with a band here in Seattle, playing harmonica. I walk into the club they were playing one night (the sadly defunct "Old Timers" in Pioneer Square) and the bandleader looks down from the stage and sez, "Hey! Howlin' Hobbit is in the house!" It was a flattering nod to Howlin' Wolf.

Most people in real life know me by Howlin' Hobbit. It's sort of my "brand" and I encourage it.

So there ya go.

menehunenyc
05-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Hooray!! I've been waiting for your explanation since you joined UU...but then again, you really do look like a hobbit, hahaha. Really do love your vids on youtube. Keep on Howlin Hobbit!!

Howlin Hobbit
05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words, menehunenyc. They mean a lot to me, especially with how weird life has been of late.

menehunenyc
05-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words, menehunenyc. They mean a lot to me, especially with how weird life has been of late.

Wierd indeed. UU has really been living up to its name, on so many levels. Its almost like a secret society planning a revolution of sorts (but in a positive way with positive outcomes for all!!). I find UU to be an escape from the nonsense thats going on around us (I'd rather chat on UU than watch the news on TV, hence the underground). I find UU to be an oasis full of kind and generous souls that really want to help others (UU could stand for Ukulele Utopia). Now with more talk of community outreach and fundraising via 'deaching' uke stuff, this forum really is starting to change how people behave. It has certainly changed my daily routine, and I am sure countless others on this site. The ripples are expanding my friends, expanding and connecting with eachother, soon to reach distant shores and impact them as well with our gentle and soothing ukulele tones. Lets keep it real people and keep it fun for all of us.
Thank you UU mods and members...

uumember
05-03-2008, 05:13 PM
My name simply reflects my vivid imagination.

brokenwing
05-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Hey Howlin Hobbit -
Checked out your YouTube "Ain't Misbehaving" and "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" (loved those jazz tones) and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your playing. You handle that Glyph Soprano with aplomb, good hobbit.:)

Howlin Hobbit
05-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks, brokenwing!

Rubbertoe
05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Rubber Toe = Roberto. One of my friends addressed a message to me with that name one day and i tought it was kinda fun. Although when people first see the screen name, a lot of them think weird thoughts. Not all elastic hydrocarbon polymer appendages are dirty. :o

UkuleleHill
05-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Well... Mines prety easy... My name is Andy Hill and well Ukulele so UkuleleHill...

brokenwing
05-05-2008, 07:36 PM
s'funny... whilst many of you feel your forum names are obvious or unimaginative, to everyone else they have originality and a sense of mystery. On one guitar forum I'd been on for years, people unanimously (or almost unanimously) elected to drop their internet "handles" and use their real names.

Seemed like a good idea at the time but I think a lot of people - myself included - missed our old screen names. I guess it's part of the internet culture and UU has a culture all its own.

Kekani
05-05-2008, 09:57 PM
kani means to ring, or sound.

Early on, I've had friends tell me that either their friends (mostly Kupuna) would hear their instruments being played, or play it themselves. From five different instruments came one common statement, "This `uke got kani."

So, Kekani means "to ring, or the sound," or something close to that, I'm told.

Ian Boys
05-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Haha... care to take a guess at how I decided on mine?

...was having a minor lapse of creativity when I signed up... oh well.

Phil Major
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm a Philosophy Grad Student... In my undergrad degree my major was... you guessed it, Philosophy, hence, "Phil Major".

Really, I've been Phil online for years now and it just seems like how I think of my name online at this point.

Howlin Hobbit
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm a Philosophy Grad Student... In my undergrad degree my major was... you guessed it, Philosophy, hence, "Phil Major".

I'll be damned. I would have bet you were one who just used their legal name.

(Good thing I'm not a gambling man.)

Phil Major
05-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I think that Phil Major kind of sounds like "Trent Steele" "Max Power's" oldest and dearest friend... If you've seen that Simpsons..

Big Bob
05-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Well since Bob is a common name,when we had a get together with friends there was another person named Bob,so since I was taller than the other ,voila Big Bob was born .

deach
07-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Reviving this thread for all the newcomers.

freedive135
07-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for bringing it back Deach!!!!

I was a SCUBA Inst. for 20 years in a past life, in my off time I would go freediving/spearfishing and to be a bit of a purist it would only be using mask, fins,weight and a sling. (boy do I miss shooting fish).

The max depth I ever went was 135ft, that was to get a dropped shaft and to see if I could make it, before that its was 112ft.

So it's "freedive135" for me

Boozelele
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Mine is a combination of two words. "Boo'z" as in the plural for what you would yell at the oposing baseball team and "lele", the end of Ukulele.....:)

jjsdad
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
My login is from my two boys whose first name begins with the letter 'J' and my wife whose first name begins with the letter 'S'. So, J - J - S and then me a 'dad'. I pronounce it jj's dad.

Bassukuguy
07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Bassukuguy... incredably lame i know but my primary instrument is the Bass and i enjoy it. then i decided since its Ukulele underground, hey how baout i throw uku in there... and i am a dude so i tought to myself, "Myself you should put guy at the end of your name." so there we go...

online im usually Bassmanspiff or (V)@ (if you look at the last one its Matt my name)
and extra points if anyone get the Bassmanspiff refrence!!!!

hellojodi
07-28-2008, 11:04 AM
I like Hello Kitty quite a bit, and it seemed like a good naming convention to have. Started it when I started my MySpace so I could have similair names for my personal (hellojodi) and music (helloukulele). I do have a MySpace of Jewish music that I don't update nearly enough called Jewkulele. I usually don't like names with "ukulele" in them. As if any combo with a ukulele in it has to have the word ukulele in it. Funk and ska bands seem to be like this too. I think it's downright stupid. I would never call myself Hello Ukulele or Jewkulele, but it works for the MySpace. Hello Jodi is fine. I kinda want to turn a Makala into a Hello Kitty ukulele with "Hello Jodi" written in script under the bridge. We shall see.

upskydowncloud
07-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I had no idea what to use as a screen name. Then for some reason I remembered a conversation I'd had with my Dad about the first time I went on holiday abroad when I was a kid and had to travel on a plane. After we landed my Dad asked what I thought of the experience and I replied with "Up, sky. Down, cloud. Wooo". So there it is!