A rose by any other name

brokenwing

Reaction score
some pretty intriguing forum names here at UU. Care to share how you came up with them?

I've used brokenwing for years on guitar forums. it's from Blackbird of course, but I chose it because it describes the "arc" of my life. I still fly, just not as well...

Mine is boring. My real name is Narciso.

"seeso" is just my nickname "Ciso," spelled phonetically.

If I spelled it "Ciso," everyone would be pronouncing it, "Cisco."

Told you. Boring.

Seeso at least yours has a story behind it. I was just thinking of dinosaurs at the time then thought of a giant ukulele dinosaur taking over the world. In a way ukuleleunderground is like a giant ukulele dinosaur taking over the world! :D

My name was just something I came up with. I have no real idea. I just thought of how I loved learning my instruments as a musician and how figuring it out misguidedly was fun. Put those together and u have my name.

well, mine isn't that special either.

My last name is Vroom, and everyone I know except my family calls me vroom... So my nickname is Vroom. haha

Mine's my birthday (in Australia we do day, then month, rather than month then day).

yes we do day then mouth.. but at school i do month then day because i been on another forum for over a year and im use to it.. teachers go off..

Ok So MINE!.. is straight forward

UkuLeLe = Ukulele
Reggae = Reggae Music!

the s.. is just like ukuleles reggae music.. basically what it means :D

When I was a freshman in high school, I played football. They put a piece of tape on your helmet and wrote your last name on it. The first play I was in, I speared someone and part of the tape ripped off. From that day on, everyone except my family, called me by my abbreviated last name. Even my kids call me deach.

I started out in online life with the name Aria because some friends at college thought it would be cool. It kind of stuck but I never warmed up to it. This was back in the days of telnet and gopher and before the www. Then fastforwarding to modern times, when signing up for a forum I decided I wanted a music type name, and Plainsong lept out because it's one of my husband and my's song, it's a great album, and it's original meaning is of the kind of chanting that you think of monks doing.

I grew up in Kailua Hi, from 2 - 18 years. I went away to college and never moved back except for summer breaks. 20 years later I find myself aching for my Hawaiian home (my whole family still lives there), by my wife and kids are set up well here in Brooklyn NY. I thought of the name when signing up on Youtube last year; I wanted a name that tied me back to Hawaii. I always loved the image of the clever menehunes that are so much a part of Hawaiian legend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but legend has it that nothing sacred should be taken out of Hawaii for fear of being cursed, and I think that menehune fall in this category. In short, I felt at times that I never should have taken myself out of Hawaii...not that I'm sacred to Hawaii by any means...So, I feel like a menehune in nyc, shortened to menehunenyc. Lately, more so since I joined UU, that maybe I've been insensitive to the 'sacredness' of menehune by using it as a name. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you all if you think this is true, or if I'm being overly sensitive.
Thanks for this post, I fell like I've lifted a mountain off my shoulders...

Some interesting names, and interesting stories.

Mine's simple but I like it, it's just an anagram of my first name and surname.
I wanted to move away from my old name IceFunkBreezer / Icefunk as I've used in previous sites.

I like funny and interesting anagrams so I used an anagram wizard on my name which is "Daniel Letras" and I found "Latin Leaders". My name's good for anagrams 'cause it has a good balance of vowels and consenants but
Latin Leaders was one of my favourites.

Some other good anagrams of my name include:

Ireland Tales
Altered Snail
Ideal Antlers
Linda Stealer (could be an alliace)

and oddly enough... Ladies Rental:eek:

I used to post on some Japanese toy related forums. I choose GX9901 because it's the model number of the main robot (Gundam Double X) in my favorite Gundam series, Gundam X. It's the Rodney Dangerfield of Gundam shows and Double X is the absolute least made (in terms of models & toys) Gundams in Gundam history. I'm still waiting for a diecast Gundam Double X or Master Grade Gundam Double X kit some day (not holding my breath).

I'm mostly past that part of my life as ukuleles has taken over (hey, selling off some of the old collection helps fund ukes!), but I just decided to keep the name alive. Lame but true.:p

menehunenyc,
you can take the boy out of Kailua but you can't take Kailua out of the boy.

I don't think you've crossed any lines or shown any disrespect. Just the fact that you've given the matter thought absolves you, IMO. Embrace who you are.:)

Well... My name is Valerie. Not very origional, I know. Often online I use my middle name: Dodge or some form of that. But when I do people end up thinking me a guy.

I do still use Dodge more for online things, voice acting, and as a pen name. But I was happy that I beat all the other Valeries to this site and could use that, for once, instead.

some years back, i had a coworker named dana washington. whenever i'd call her extension, her outgoing message would say, "russ buss is not available, please leave a message". i never understood why she used "russ buss" and not her name "dana". it was a big company and we weren't that close so it wasn't an inside joke either. over the years, i've used russbuss here and there for account names because it always stuck in my head.

by the way, great idea for a thread. always fun to see how people come up with their screen names.

russell

I'm a Black Crowes fan, and every year they do a Halloween show in costume as another band. One year they went on as BC/DC. They also have a song called Cursed Diamond.

Someone suggested they go out as Neil Cursed Diamond next year. So...Neil Cursed Diamond.

hm well mine's pretty boring.

First name david, last name macapinlac -> mac for short

I got davoo (day-voo) because my sister called me that all the time and I chose that for a nickname on my internet accounts. :p She says that she got it from my classmate in Kindergarten he used to call me davooo all the time.

Other nicknames include: Mac, Macdaddy, BigMac, Mac-a-ping-pong, Mac-attack, Mac-a-pac, and any other variation of "mac". Most people call me mac, but some of the names got pretty annoying haha

Mine is sort of an anti-alias. To some I appear threatening (or Notorious) at first, although the reality is that I'm a pretty passive/peaceful fellow (sometimes I'm downright friggin' jolly). No doubt the Samoan blood and the rice has contributed to my handsome 'bulk' ;). My wife used to call me a 'Mok' in an attempt to be insulting, but I thought it was kinda funny as did my friends. Their kids have grown up calling me "Unca Mok".

In the end, the nickname stuck, but the wife (now 'ex')didn't. Good things come to those who wait. :rolleyes:

Have fun!

Top Bottom