PDA

View Full Version : Machine heads

luvzmocha
12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
My current project is a 6 string tenor. I want to octave the G and C strings with single E and A strings. I need 4 tuners for one side of the headstock and 2 on the opposite, something similar to the photo. Does anyone have a source that sells single tuners or am I resigned to buying two sets?

A friendly hookup would be nice also!

thistle3585
12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
I buy 3x3 tuners for my electrics. I get them from Allparts. I also think www.moongazermusic.com sells them. Email Tom and ask if he'll sell you what you need. If not, let me know and I could probably put some on my next order for you.

Where's Miller at? I'm in Columbus, IN.

Andrew

funaddict
12-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I bought tuners for a 6 string tenor from Hana Lima Ia 's site. It's an upgrade to the 4 tuner sets.

Alan

Kekani
12-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Stew Mac.

-Aaron

ukantor
12-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Buy three sets, and make two of 'em.

Ukantor.

Dibblet
12-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Buy three sets, and make two of 'em.

Ukantor.

Hmm... one left handed and one right?

ukantor
12-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Ooops! Didn't spot that...............

Ukantor.

luvzmocha
12-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Where's Miller at? I'm in Columbus, IN.

Andrew

Miller is located on the Southern most tip of Lake Michigan.

Thanks for the tips Mates.

Cheers,

George

thistle3585
12-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Brrrrrr, its cold up there. There is also a Miller down by Martinsville in Morgan County, so I wasn't sure which one. I've had a couple people email me about tuners. If anyone wants to get into a group purchase let me know.

Andrew

dave g
12-10-2009, 05:26 AM
The inexpensive Grover tuners that StewMac (and others) sell are reversible. Just take out the gear screw, remove the gear and post, flip the worm gear/knob shaft around, and put it all back together.

Doug
12-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Maybe this would work. http://windworld.com/products-page/hardware-for-acoustic/
Doug

luvzmocha
12-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe this would work. http://windworld.com/products-page/hardware-for-acoustic/
Doug
Thanks Doug!

Exactly what I was looking for. They sell them individually.

George

luvzmocha
12-12-2009, 10:12 AM
The inexpensive Grover tuners that StewMac (and others) sell are reversible. Just take out the gear screw, remove the gear and post, flip the worm gear/knob shaft around, and put it all back together.

Thanks Dave

Now that I have them in hand, I see what you meant! Easy solution to my dilemma.

Matt Clara
12-12-2009, 04:15 PM

Little off topic here, but what size hole does one need to drill for the bushings that comes with those grovers? I received a couple sets of them today, and drilled some test holes in pine to figure it out. The closest one I've got is 3/8", and that's a hair too big--they aren't snug. Of course, I'm using a hand held drill, so there may be just enough slop to keep them from being snug, and then I also wonder whether I should be using something other than a regular bit--perhaps one of those stepped bits (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91616) I've seen used in some of the vids on youtube. They seem to drill very clean holes.

dave g
12-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I drill holes 23/64"