Can you tune a tenor to DGBE?

jasonpaulrobert

Reaction score
I'm a long time guitar player and I want to buy a decent acoustic/electric baritone uke. However, tenors offer more options. Can I tune a tenor to DGBE? Also, I was looking at Kalas, but Guitar Center and Musician's Friend have a CORDOBA 20-TMCE Mahogany Tenor Cutaway w/pickup. Any advise on which brand I should go with? Thanks.

Aquilla DGBE strings

I used to be a long time guitar player myself. To answer your question, I found that Aquilla has a set of tenor uke strings for the DGBE tuning. Here's the ebay link where I found them-http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-TENOR-UKULELE-STRINGS-EGBD_W0QQitemZ390121983236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad5150d04
I don't know if this link will work or not. If not just do a search on ebay for tenor uke strings and you'll find the Aquillas.

Jude

Yes you can! Aquila makes a set of strings just for that. I have my tenor tuned dGBE and I really like the sound. And it blends well when I play along with ukes with standard tuning.

Many of Lyle Ritz's tunes are in dgbe, and I keep a couple of my ukulele in this tuning, as well as a fBbdg tuning.

Last edited:
Hilo makes tenor DGBE strings as well. Worth may do too, but you'll have to check with them. In that case you may be able to get unwound DGBE strings.

Top Bottom