I need help finding an uke with a specific sound!

JayJay

Reaction score
I've finally saved up enough money and I want to buy a new ukulele. I already have a pineapple soprano which I'm happy with for strumming so I'm looking for a Tenor for finger picking type songs. I guess I'm looking for a Latin-y flamenco type sound but I'm not very how to go about it @_@. I've heard a spruce top would be a pretty good choice for the whole Latin vibe.

My price range is about $250-ish.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!!! =]

Fred has a nice uke that sounds alright and i think he said he bought it roughly $250 hmm.. But Fred can some that up for you..

heres a link to one of his vids that he did very nicely and it sounds great - im pretty sure its a tenor kala.. but not sure what type

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=x3j8Wsy75PM

^ thats the link. Don't sue me Fred for using your material :D

Traditionally, flamenco guitars have spanish cypress sides and backs and spruce tops. You want a bright, loud, attacking tone for flamenco.

Stay away from anything other than a spruce topped instrument. Spanish cypress is out of your price range, so I'd go with maple sides and back.

My recommendation is the Lanikai flamed maple tenor with solid spruce top. It's got a "buy it now" price of $247.

8d4c1sblhr0.jpg

Flamenco's are know for their "percussive" sound, hence the woods that are used. Maple usually rings crisp and clear - not necessarily percussive, but, very apt for a picking style on `ukulele (archtop guitars are usually Spruce/Maple).

Spruce/Maple is one of my personal favorite combinations. Spanish Cedar is actually very, and I mean VERY cheap compared to the Maple I use. If I upcharged for wood, Cedar being a "standard" wood, Maple would be upcharged by about $100.

I agree with Seeso - that combination will suit well for what you're looking for. In time, a quality built one will warm up, and even sweeten up, taking some of the "bite" off the tone and become more resonant.

-Aaron

Wow thanks for the quick responses! I'll be sure to look into that Lanikai and if I get it I'll be sure to post my impressions. If anyone has any more recommendations I would be glad to take a look!

By the way, what kinds of strings would you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the quick responses! I'll be sure to look into that Lanikai and if I get it I'll be sure to post my impressions. If anyone has any more recommendations I would be glad to take a look!

By the way, what kinds of strings would you guys recommend?

Aquilas will give you a loud, bright attack. Whether you go with a low G or high G is up to you. Obviously, flamenco guitars are not re-entrant tuned, so if you want a more flamenco sound, I'd go with a low G. If you want to have a hybrid flamenco/ukulele sound, go with a high G.

As for wound strings, you'll get a brighter tone on a wound string vs. an unwound string. However, in the Aquila set that I played the wound 3rd string (C) broke on me after just a few days. I do a lot of bending on my 3rd string, so I think it's partly my style of playing that doesn't agree with an Aquila wound 3rd string.

If you go with a low G Aquila set, only the 4th string (G) is wound. I haven't played on this set yet, so I can't offer any insight. What I can say is that in flamenco style you've got your thumb resting on the that string more often than not. It's not as involved in finger picking as the other strings, so you may have better luck with its endurance.

Thanks Seeso!

hmm...I think i'll probably go with the Aquilas with a high G but i'm kinda curious about D'addario strings. Any thoughts?

Thanks Seeso!

hmm...I think i'll probably go with the Aquilas with a high G but i'm kinda curious about D'addario strings. Any thoughts?

Nope. Haven't tried them. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

Kekani had a great post on strings not too long ago. He mentions the D'addario's.

By the way, if you'd like to check out an ukulele player that has a unique flamenco style, be sure to check out Bosko, of Bosko and Honey, especially Bosko's solo video, Bosko Wags.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all your help! I think I've made a decision and I'm going to order the Lanikai. I'll be sure to post pictures and impressions when I get it.

Awesome! Glad to help. Don't forget to add a review to the Uke Reviews section of this site.

Top Bottom