Dent damage and finish flaw

ukulelegal

Reaction score
far away from others who play ukulele...it sucks
Help...some how my uke got a dent along the binding and now there is a hole in the finish about 1/4 inch circle and it is separating from the body around the chip. Is there anyway I can keep this from getting worse? Or repair it? My uke is a Kala KA-MT

I was going to suggest clear fingernail polish, then I thought, there's got to be something better than that. Then I found this page:

Shallow Chips
Where a clear finish is chipped but the underlying color is intact, fill the ding with a few drops of clear nail polish. After the polish dries, sand flush with 600-grit sandpaper. To restore the sheen on satin finishes, rub with 0000 steel wool and paste wax; for gloss finishes, use auto polishing compound and a rag.

Large Scratches and Worn Edges
Felt-tip touch-up markers come in a variety of wood tones to match common furniture finishes. Use them to color large scratches or edges where the stain has worn away. Apply only to damaged areas, and wipe immediately if any gets on the neighboring finish.

Apply a coat of paste wax over the repair and the entire adjacent surface to impart an even sheen.

In addition to what they said, if your surrounding finish is starting to flake off, I'd lightly sand it back with the 600 grit paper before applying the fingernail polish or any other clear poly coat. Be careful not to remove any of the stain under the poly. You want to get rid of the flaking areas and feather back the edges of the old coat of poly.

Last edited:
Hey, just thought someone might find this interesting. I applied the clear nail polish without sanding...the nail polish filled the void where the finish & wood were separating. I had a hunch it would. Now all I have to do is put a couple more coats on and sand/polish. worked like a charm.

I think my post may be a little late since while I was typing you seemed to have resolved your problem. However this may be helpful to someone else.
You need to first find out what kind of finish you are attempting to repair. If it's a lacquer finish then it shouldn't be too hard to touch up. Keep in mind however, it will never look as good as it did new as fresh lacquer "melts" the previous coats of lacquer. While this is good for bonding the coats together, the shrinkage will be different.
Here's the most important part of the process. Before attempting to fill the chip, apply a drop of lacquer thinner (acetone may work) with a fine brush to the area. The thinner should "wick" under the lifted finish and it should lay back down onto the wood. The thinner has also softened the finish around the chip which will help the new lacquer adhere better. Immediately, while the old lacquer is stil soft, build up the new lacquer with half a dozen coats, sanding with 400 grit after the first three. The filling process should take up to a week or so to allow for full shrinkage. (If you were doing a pro job you'd wait a month or more.) When fully dry, the area is sanded with wet and dry papers of diminishing grits and buffed out with polishing compound, all of which can be found at your local auto parts store.
BTW, you may be able to use clear nail polish. I do not have any experience with home remedies. Someone else here can help you with that.
If it's a urethane or poly urethane finish, I believe super glue can be used to fill the chip. Do not use ca glues on a lacquer finish though!

Top Bottom