Neotech 2 hook strap/ harness, anybody tried?

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just saw this the other day. Anyone seen one of these yet? They are for guitars, but I would think they might work on a uke. I would think that two hooks might be better than one hook. Those hook straps have always bothered me because I am afraid of too much stress on the sound hole, and the thin soundboard. And, I wouldn't want a hook to leave a wear mark.
http://www.neotechstraps.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=20&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=
:anyone:
–Lori

Attachments

• medium_XEP-sR2Vc2.jpg
    medium_XEP-sR2Vc2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 9
  • medium_XEP-K3jgmU.jpg
    medium_XEP-K3jgmU.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 9
I think a strap would be overkill - a uke is so light.

How about mounting a suction cup on the back (for playing in the summer with your shirt off) and velcro hooks (for playing in the winter with your shirt on)?

A uke is tough to strap, there's nothing to grab onto, unless you want to install a knob in the rear block. Another idea might be a form-fit leather wrap like Ricky Nelson's guitar.

I'm going to just make one that's like a camera strap and wear it like Rev. Gary Davis wears his guitar. I'm not interested in a heavy duty thing that goes over my head, right shoulder, and arm like with the guitar, just something to hold the uke in position. I'll likely put a button in the bottom block and tie just behind the nut. Perhaps I'll find some really nice yarn and macrame one. . . yet another case where things learned at summer camp can save your life.

The problem for me is that the fingerstyle I'm playing requires a RH positon and the ability to alter it on the fly such that cradling the body in the right arm doesn't work for me; the instrument shifts too much.

The problem for me is that the fingerstyle I'm playing requires a RH positon and the ability to alter it on the fly such that cradling the body in the right arm doesn't work for me; the instrument shifts too much.

I hear you Scottie. I have straps on several ukes, and it really helps for that kind of playing. I use the mandolin straps, by "Levi Leather 1/2 Carving Strap". They have no metal parts to scratch your uke, but are still adjustable. I was considering this alternative since I bought the Kanile'a, and I am hesitant to put a strap button on it. It is so beautiful as it is, and I don't want it to get damaged during the installation. Also, the button can make a tight fit in an already tight fitting case.

Straps, so far has been a really simple, clean solution though. So, half of my ukes have straps, and half I am trying to control while playing. It seems easier on the larger instruments. But I still have to "chase" the neck around when playing some songs. I usually play the uke a good distance in front of me, to get the best sound from the soundbox. So, sitting is my preferred playing situation, and those fret markers on the side of the neck become very important.
–Lori

I know most folks frown on it...but i put strap buttons on my Ukes just like an electric guitar not for holding while im playing so much but so I can sling the Uke on my back & grab a beer & ciggarette or toss the frisbee...Then when Im ready to play agian I just sling it round front & im on my way again!

Top Bottom