Martin LXM Tenor

KC8AFW

Reaction score
Has anyone seen these? http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/LXMTEN.htm

LXM%20Tenor_f.jpg

I know it is a tenor guitar...but according to Wiki, it can be tuned like a baritone uke (DGBE) or standard C ukulele tuning (GCEA).

Tenor guitars are normally tuned in fifths (usually CGDA, similar to the tenor banjo or the viola), although other tunings are possible, such as "guitar tuning", "Chicago tuning," or baritone ukulele tuning (DGBE), "Irish" or "octave mandolin" tuning (GDAE) and various "open" tunings, for slide playing. The tenor guitar can also be tuned like a ukulele, using various versions of GCEA tuning.

The normal CGDA tuning is very "open" and it gives the instrument unusual voicings from both open and closed chords. The fifths tuning also makes for easy moveable chord shapes. The instrument is equally well suited to both rhythm and lead playing.

Though books are available for the standard tunings above, books are also available for more esoteric tunings as well such as GDAD, CGBD and DGBE in the Chord Genius series of books published by Northern Musician Services. One of the main attractions of this instrument is its breadth of available tunings.

I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these? It looks very interesting and I can only imagine the sound from it.

I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these? It looks very interesting and I can only imagine the sound from it.

I love playing tenor guitar. I don't own one but I have played them many times in the past.

Hmm, I have never seen that instrument before, but I think it's overpriced. All laminate woods, and basically a Little Martin with 4 strings, for more than the cost of a regular six string Little Martin. And at $450, you're in the range to buy a good baritone.

Top Bottom