Tuning problems?

rpeters

Reaction score
I just got a intelli 500 tuner, and I find that my lanakai pineapple is not really perfect tune all the way down the fretboard. I get the C to be perfect, and then go up a major scale and each one after that is slightly off. I guess that's normal for a 50 dollar uke.

I'm getting a kala thinline tenor from MGM (Christmas Present), so does that guarantee that it's in perfect tune all the way up the fret board?

You'll never know until you play it. If MGM is trustworthy to check it for decent intonation, and from what I read here he is, you should get a uke that is well set up and will play in tune.

These tempered, stringed, fretted instruments are never really perfect, but you really have to play it to hear for yourself. . . yet another reason why I don't buy instruments via the internet.

Don't be a slave to the electronic tuner. They are a great help, but they can detect much smaller differences than your ear can. If you were happy with your uke before you checked it with a chromatic tuner, there is no reason to be unhappy with it now. If you can HEAR poor intonation, it is intolerable - if you CAN'T detect it by ear, don't worry too much about it.

John Colter.

I was not very happy with my uke's tuning to begin with, - I thought it was my ear and that I couldn't hear one of the notes properly, so that it is why I purchased the tuner to see if it could pick up what I missed. So I guess there was nothing wrong with me tuning it by ear, it must be the instrument itself. The tuner looks cool though, and makes tuning faster.

The last time I shopped for ukes I brought a tuner with me and checked every fret on every string on every uke I tried. I found that the ukes with best intonation were the flukes with the plastic fret boards.

Now I'm thinking that checking every fret on every string is way too anal. Next time I think I will tune the open stings, check the 12th frets against the harmonics and just listen for problems on the other frets.

Also, you might consider new strings. I never quite believed people posting here when they said strings can affect intonation. But recently I switched out GHS strings with Aquilas on a soprano with intonation problems and found it helped a lot.

I'm using Aquilas. I may be just really picky too. It's just slightly off, not really a huge problem.

try new strings, I got a uke that had been stored a long time, the intonation was terrible even though the strings were unplayed. But, over time, they deteriorated even though they looked new. A new set of strings, and lighter strings, sounded perfect.

Also your action may be a little high.

You might try some flourocarbon strings, they seem to sound more in tune than nylon or Aquilas to me.

Try measuring, and checking that the 12th fret is exactly halfway between the nut and the saddle. If it is, the uke should sound ok with fresh strings.

clayton56 is right try new strings. If they have been on there for a while they may have ware on the under side of them from the frets causing them to stretch differently with each note you play. I have a Lanakai concert and 8
string tenor and they are both right on up the fret board.
Doug

Remember, the chromatic scale is a compromise. Lots of information out there, just google equal tempered scale

The "equal tempered scale" was developed for keyboard instruments, such as the piano, so that they could be played equally well (or badly) in any key. It is a compromise tuning scheme. The equal tempered system uses a constant frequency multiple between the notes of the chromatic scale. Hence, playing in any key sounds equally good (or bad, depending on your point of view).

Don't be a slave to the electronic tuner. They are a great help, but they can detect much smaller differences than your ear can. If you were happy with your uke before you checked it with a chromatic tuner, there is no reason to be unhappy with it now. If you can HEAR poor intonation, it is intolerable - if you CAN'T detect it by ear, don't worry too much about it.

John Colter.

Even in the short time I have had my cheap electronic tuner that they gave me with my uke, I have discovered that. I usually tune each string with the tuner as a starting point. Then, I use the C string as the reference and tune all the rest of the strings with that. Who knows if my C is perfect, but at least the rest of the uke is in tune with itself. My ear can definitely get it closer than the tuner can. My Kala seems to be pretty good on intonation as I go up the fretboard though.

Top Bottom