Kala KA-S or KA-15S?

bsol09

Reaction score
MGM has the KA-15S for $64 shipped and the KA-S for $75 shipped. I can't tell any difference. This will be my first uke. Anyone know whats the difference between the two? I am leaning towards the KA-15S just because it is cheaper.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, I like the makala sparkle black uke for $51 mainly because of the look. Anyone recommend against getting this instead of on of the two mentioned above?

Last edited:
Makala is the little brother to Kala, the finish on the black makes it sound a little duller.
The KA-S is the one to go with the real difference between the KA-S and the KA-15 other than the Bling is the tuners they are better on the KA-S.

Spend the few extra bucks... I have 2 of the KA-S.

I have the Kala KA-C *concert version of the KA-S* and i was never happier with a purchase. the work that MGM puts into these entry level instruments is outstanding. my vote is for the KA-S

I have the Kala KA-S!

I got it about a year ago on Thanksgiving, first uke.

When I got it, I was alarmed by the balance of the weight. The neck feels really sturdy but the body feels a bit light (laminate). Still, the sound is very superior because the strings resonate well. If you buy it from MGM, he should set it up for you.

I personally don't like the Aquila's as much, but they suit the KA-S really well, the strings and mahogany goes hand in hand with each other.

This uke is good to learn on, but once I started learning Gently Weeps or Let's Dance, I ran out of frets.

So all in all, you can use it for portable and quick jam sessions. If you want to be more serious, consider the concert or tenor version of this ukulele.

You wont be satisfied! PM me, or look at my album for pics of the Kala KA-S!

Just ordered the KA-S! That was one of the quickest purchases I've made. Usually I contemplate a purchase for a few days. Totally pumped!

Top Bottom