Sound Recording Questions

Rod

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,

I just picked up a Nady USB mic and Soundforge 9 and have started my quest to produce better audio and video. I came across this video on youtube and was wondering if anyone had idea's how he is able to get such clean vocals and guitar. Is he recording vocals and video seperately and synch'ing? Is the guitar plugged directly into computer? Is there another device involved besides the computer?

Also, if anyone else is using Soundforge, can you please post any tips for better sound quality? What are your favorite settings? I am really trying to get a warm tone.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts!

Rod

Last edited:
I know very little about formal recording, but here's my :2cents: as an amateur

For a warm tone, I like to use a large condenser mic and aim it somewhere between the neck and soundhole. If I were you and looking for a particular sound, I'd record something on all 5s and then mess around EQing the finished audio lots of different ways to start seeing which numbers match the sound you like most. And just experiment from there :D

hi, i think he almost certainly synced that vid laer cos it is a bit out.

using sound forge to improve your tone you basically need to...

normalise.
click and pop reduction
noise reduction
add a splash of reverb. ( the standard plug in unadjusted is plenty.)

you can further adjust the reverb tone by specifying the recoding space. i.e. large hall etc.

if it is still not warm enough, use a graphic equaliser and bring down the treble tones.

you might also want to play with chorus and a teensy tiny bit of delay for a big warm sound.

you might also want to invest in guitar rig software which allows you a huge ammount of variations on your amp sounds, mic positions and effects....you can then add these using sound forge.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will give it a go with the settings you recommended.

Top Bottom