PDA

View Full Version : Yikes, my bridge flew off! Lost!!!

Lori
12-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I have just recently restrung my Soprano Zebrawood Ohana, and was thinking how nice those Brown Worths were sounding, when I but the uke on the bed, and went into the kitchen to do the dishes. When I returned, the strings were all loose, and laying above the headstock, and the bridge and saddle gone!:eek:. I have a fairly cluttered space, and I have no idea how far that thing might have traveled. It looks like the glue just let go, but there are a few slivers of wood sticking up that must have come from the bridge.

Any ideas on how big my radius for searching should be? Do Ohana's have a warranty? It has lived a privileged live, no drastic temperature changes, lives in it's case with a properly watered Herco. Not a scratch or dent on it. I have only had it since the end of May.

:anyone: happen to be in the room when a soprano popped it's bridge?

–Lori

buddhuu
12-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Under the circumstances you describe, I can't imagine that anyone would regard a claim for a replacement as unreasonable. If you treat it as carefully as you say, then it certainly sounds like one of those rare failures that can happen with the odd instrument of almost any brand.

If your retailer is reputable you should be ok. Ohana certainly have a sound rep.

So, contact the store you bought from. If you bought straight from Ohana you might want to consult Ken Middleton (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=731) for advice. He works with Ohana.

Hope you get it sorted ok. :(

UkeNinja
12-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Any ideas on how big my radius for searching should be?
My educated guesstimate would be anywhere between 2 and 5 feet, depending on your tuning.

Finding it and contacting your dealer, as buddhu suggests, is indeed the key to your recovery from this unhappy uketastrophy.

spazus_maximus
12-11-2009, 01:55 AM
So thats what that noise was last night...I heard something go wooooosh bling bang pop as it hit my bedroom window last night....I had no idea...Thought it was a pesky hummingbird on crack?(they're always hitting the window at 3am...aarrgghh...I need a better neighborhood)....Nonetheless your bridge is down here in Tenn. I dont think it's useable as it has suffered some extreme wind damage.....actually looks like it burned up a little while re-entering the atmosphere as well.:eek:

Sorry to hear bout your uke...Im sure Ohana will make this right.

nohandles
12-11-2009, 02:54 AM
If the whole thing popped it could be anywhere. They really fly with the tension on them. I would think the manufacture should fix that one it really shouldn't have came off especially on a Uke. Sounds like it wasn't glued properly. Doug

camface
12-11-2009, 04:18 AM
It seems odd that the strings did not remain attached to the bridge. I can understand one or two slipping from the force to lack of force back to force, but it seems like they should have stayed connected.

Do you have gnomes running around your house?

According to this site:

http://www.ukuleles.com/Technology/strings.html

sopranos provide about 21 pounds of tension. That is relatively low for stringed instruments it seems. I can't imagine it went far. You should be able to walk a relatively straight line from where the bridge is supposed to be along the neck. That is the direction it would have flown. Then it could bounce and such, but you can figure it is not anywhere BEHIND the instrument.

Lori
12-11-2009, 05:55 AM
I got a very prompt response from Ohana this morning, and they have a warranty for one year against manufacturer defects. Since I live in the Los Angeles area, they have invited me to come to their Signal Hill warehouse for repair or replacement. I hope to find the bridge, since I like the one I have, and the chances of them repairing it are greater if I can find the bridge. Also, it was set-up already, so I would hate to loose that benefit.

So far, great customer service from Ohana! I will update you when it's over.

I was hoping the strings would hold the bridge on a leash, but it is one of those knotted slot bridges. If it were a tie-on bridge, it would still be attached to the strings.
–Lori

Lori
12-11-2009, 06:40 AM
So, I started looking for the bridge, and fortunately, it was in the first area I looked. I store my ukes standing upright in a couple of boxes. The neck of the zebrawood uke was pointing in that direction. I started taking the ukes out of the first box, and, there it was, bridge and saddle! It landed about 4 to 5 feet away from the uke. I am so glad it didn't hit the wall and fall behind the filing cabinet. The bridge doesn't look damaged. There is small bit of glue, and a sliver on the "A" string side that will possibly help in the positioning for re-gluing.

–Lori

brickerenator
12-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Glad you found the bridge, honestly, that was the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Who knew ukes could be used as medieval catapults?

+1 for Ohana's customer service

Doctroid
12-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Xmas gift idea: Anti-personnel battle uke.

Lori
12-11-2009, 06:50 AM
So thats what that noise was last night...I heard something go wooooosh bling bang pop as it hit my bedroom window last night....I had no idea...Thought it was a pesky hummingbird on crack?(they're always hitting the window at 3am...aarrgghh...I need a better neighborhood)....Nonetheless your bridge is down here in Tenn. I dont think it's useable as it has suffered some extreme wind damage.....actually looks like it burned up a little while re-entering the atmosphere as well.:eek:

Sorry to hear bout your uke...Im sure Ohana will make this right.

That must have been someone else's uke bridge. The neck was pointing east though! I think the timing would be off a bit anyway... let's see, from Los Angeles to Tennessee, launching at about 9:45 pm PST at 20 MPH, take in the fact it was raining (it's like those dreaded third grade word problems from math class all over again!).

–Lori

Matt Clara
12-11-2009, 07:11 AM
I got a very prompt response from Ohana this morning, and they have a warranty for one year against manufacturer defects. Since I live in the Los Angeles area, they have invited me to come to their Signal Hill warehouse for repair or replacement. I hope to find the bridge, since I like the one I have, and the chances of them repairing it are greater if I can find the bridge. Also, it was set-up already, so I would hate to loose that benefit.

So far, great customer service from Ohana! I will update you when it's over.

I was hoping the strings would hold the bridge on a leash, but it is one of those knotted slot bridges. If it were a tie-on bridge, it would still be attached to the strings.
–Lori

Glad to hear they got back to you so fast! While you're visiting, ask them to respond to my emails, please--I've written them twice and never heard back.
;)

Ahnko Honu
12-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my backyard strumming a tune when out of nowhere something hits me on the head . Ouch! Weirdest thing was it was a bridge from a 'ukulele. Can you describe yours?

spazus_maximus
12-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my backyard strumming a tune when out of nowhere something hits me on the head . Ouch! Weirdest was it was a bridge from a 'ukulele. Can you describe yours?

lol...I just spewed coffee on my monitor:D

Lori
12-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Glad to hear they got back to you so fast! While you're visiting, ask them to respond to my emails, please--I've written them twice and never heard back.
;)

I am driving down there tomorrow morning. If you like, PM me your Ohana email, and I could hand a printout to him if that would help.

–Lori

WhenDogsSing
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I almost lost a mouthful of good beer when I read all of this...Ha! Ha! Ha! Lori, I sincerely hope you get that squared away real quick with Ohana...!!!

GrumpyCoyote
12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Tragic, and hystericaly funny at the same time.

I'm no pro, but it looks like a crappy glue job from here. Ask Ohana what the turnaround will be and then just take it to a decent guitar repair shop. My gues is they can pop it back on and have it back to you the next day. Likley very cheap to fix as well.

Lori
12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I am going tomorrow morning to their warehouse in Signal Hill. I figured, let them put it back on, and that way, if anything else happens, the warranty coverage should be undisturbed. I am kind of curious to see the warehouse. I want to make sure the bridge position is just right, since it could affect the intonation. I figure, when possible, go to the experts. For all I know, zebrawood might have properties that might affect the glue. Sure, I could go to a local shop to have it glued, but I would have to pay them for that service. So, I think it's worth the drive (probably less than an hour on a Saturday morning) to have Ohana handle it.

–Lori

KC8AFW
12-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I am going tomorrow morning to their warehouse in Signal Hill. I figured, let them put it back on, and that way, if anything else happens, the warranty coverage should be undisturbed. I am kind of curious to see the warehouse. I want to make sure the bridge position is just right, since it could affect the intonation. I figure, when possible, go to the experts. For all I know, zebrawood might have properties that might affect the glue. Sure, I could go to a local shop to have it glued, but I would have to pay them for that service. So, I think it's worth the drive (probably less than an hour on a Saturday morning) to have Ohana handle it.

–Lori

I think it'd be worth it to visit the warehouse...of course I have visions of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Only it'd be "Lori and the Ukulele Factory". ;)

Sorry about your bum luck...but it is freakin' hilarious.

ukecantdothat
12-11-2009, 10:39 AM
My educated guesstimate would be anywhere between 2 and 5 feet, depending on your tuning.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:UkeNinja, you are not of this world...

Lori
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I think it'd be worth it to visit the warehouse...of course I have visions of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Only it'd be "Lori and the Ukulele Factory". ;)

Sorry about your bum luck...but it is freakin' hilarious.
How about "Lori and the Chocolate Ukulele Factory"?:love: Combining two favorite things.
–Lori

Melissa82
12-11-2009, 10:50 AM
How about "Lori and the Chocolate Ukulele Factory"?:love: Combining two favorite things.
–LoriI'm not sure if I'd eat the uke first or play it, lol.

ainokeato
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure if I'd eat the uke first or play it, lol.

I dunno, on a chocolate uke, the bridge might go flying if you strum on it lol

itsme
12-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Since I live in the Los Angeles area, they have invited me to come to their Signal Hill warehouse for repair or replacement.
That's generous of them, but I'd be hoping they could just repair it on the spot. Granted, they'll probably tell you not to play it for at least a couple days til the glue dries completely. Solid tops generally take time to "open up" with playing, and you've already gotten this one broken in. And broken, too, but that's beside the point. :p

Assuming it's okay with Ohana, do you think you could get some pics for us while you're there? :)

Lori
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
That's generous of them, but I'd be hoping they could just repair it on the spot. Granted, they'll probably tell you not to play it for at least a couple days til the glue dries completely. Solid tops generally take time to "open up" with playing, and you've already gotten this one broken in. And broken, too, but that's beside the point. :p

Assuming it's okay with Ohana, do you think you could get some pics for us while you're there? :)
I will bring a camera just in case, and ask if it's OK to shoot a photo or two. I don't know... warehouse could just mean a bunch of stacked boxes. But he said "bring the pieces", so I have to assume they will try and repair it on the spot.

–Lori

Lori
12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Melissa82
I'm not sure if I'd eat the uke first or play it, lol.

Play first....

I dunno, on a chocolate uke, the bridge might go flying if you strum on it lol

... eat after the bridge comes off.

–Lori

12-11-2009, 12:52 PM
;)

matt just call louis wu, the head guy at `ohana. he's a great guy to talk to. 626-922-2848.

Doctroid
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
matt just call louis wu, the head guy at `ohana. he's a great guy to talk to. 626-922-2848.

Yikes, Ringworld will never be the same. Louis Wu on ukulele, Speaker to Animals on melodica...

Uncle-Taco
12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
You should ask the nice people at Ohana about replacing the 52-inch plasma screen TV that the bridge flew through. :rolleyes::D

Lori
12-12-2009, 08:17 AM
So, I went to Ohana today, and they are repairing my uke. I met with Louis Wu and Danny, and they were very nice. They had another Zebrawood Uke set up and ready to go in case I decided to go with a replacement uke. It was a nice one, with an interesting stripe pattern. But, since my uke is sounding pretty good with the new Brown Worth strings, I decided to stick with my original uke. They checked it for damage, and it was fine. So, I probably could have waited for them to re-glue, but decided I would prefer they take their time and ship it back to me. They will have to clean off the old glue before making the repair. I know it makes me nervous to have someone waiting for me to do a job, and I just would rather the repair happen in a calm atmosphere. I am also having them change the tuners from friction to geared. So, that will be a big plus, since I have not liked the friction tuners very much. They had some small, open geared tuners that they will install, and hopefully that won't upset the balance too much.

The warehouse is mostly storage for ukes, and a small workbench. There is also a prototype table with about a half dozen ukuleles under consideration for adding to the line. They were mostly various wood combinations, with each one bearing a post-it note about their tonal qualities.

Anyway, hopefully, the zebrawood uke will come back soon, with re-glued bridge and geared tuners.

Here is a photo of Louis and Danny at the workbench.

–Lori

itsme
12-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Love the padding on their stool at the workbench... looks like folded up packing material held on with duct tape. :p

clayton56
12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I was going to say check in the ceiling, embedded like one of David Letterman's pencils

Lori
12-21-2009, 02:21 PM
The repaired Zebrawood ukulele is on the UPS truck "Out on Delivery"!! Wouldn't you know, it would be one of their busiest days of the year. Even at more normal times of year, they sometimes deliver as late as 8pm. So, I wait knowing it may be coming even later than that tonight!!

Anyway, can't wait to check it out, and try out the new tuners I asked for. Mine is probably the only Zebrawood Ohana out there with geared tuners installed by Ohana. I have heard that Ohana is starting to offer geared tuners on more models, and I think that is a good idea.

So, in the long run, maybe it was a good thing the bridge popped off. It inspired me to have the tuners changed.

–Lori

itsme
12-21-2009, 03:57 PM
The repaired Zebrawood ukulele is on the UPS truck "Out on Delivery"!! Wouldn't you know, it would be one of their busiest days of the year. Even at more normal times of year, they sometimes deliver as late as 8pm. So, I wait knowing it may be coming even later than that tonight!!
Hope you get it today. There was a news clip earlier about this being the busiest UPS day of the year. Hubby ordered something that was "out for delivery" (paid a real premium for it) and now it says it's been rescheduled for delivery tomorrow. :(

Lori
12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I was lucky, Zebrawood Uke came at about 8:45 pm. And the UPS man still had a smile on his face even though he had a long day and had to climb to the third floor.

So, I have let it sit out for a bit, after unboxing it. The case felt cold and slightly damp from the night. But the uke had been bagged in plastic, so it was safe. It looks great, like new, plus the new tuners. I have the old tuners too, in case I want to switch back or use them on another uke. The bridge looks beautiful too. I can't tell if it was the old one or not, it looks so new. So, excellent customer service from Ohana. My thanks to Louis and Danny!

I have tuned it a bit, and it sounds very nice. The strings are pretty new, so I expect I will have to break them in over the next day or two. I love the new geared tuners! And I don't think they added much weight either. I will post photos tomorrow.

–Lori

Lori
12-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Here are the photos of the repaired uke with new tuners. The last photo shows what it looked like with the old tuners. The friction tuners have a really nice look to them, but after using them for 9 months, I decided I am one of those "geared tuner" players. Any future additions to the herd will require geared tuners.

–Lori

RyanMFT
12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Glad it worked out for you Lori! Looks new to me.

RevWill
12-22-2009, 07:02 AM
That is one very pretty uke. The repair looks as new.

Ahnko Honu
12-22-2009, 08:06 AM
I thought you never found the old bridge, I guess the one I found isn't your then? Those geared tuners look nice and small, I'm happy for you. This little ordeal has given you a unique 'ukulele. AWESOME end to this story. :)