Which Ukes have side-marks?

My Martin SO now has them.

Attachments

• CIMG3090.jpg
    CIMG3090.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
I've found that how I hold the uke, side marks aren't as important as marks on the actual fretboard. But my Kala has them.

My Kamaka soprano and 2002 KoAloha tenor came with one side dot (on the seventh fret). Pretty sure that all the newer KoAlohas come with side dots. My Flea had none.

I'm so used to the fretboard on the Kamaka that I don't really need the dots. But I added some yellow side dots to the Flea with little drops of acrylic paint, and the KoAloha has designer-colored stickers now.

Kanile'a and Kalas have them on mine. Ohana and Mainland don't. I have applied stickers for them. The Amy #2 that Bradford Donaldson made also has them. The Kanile'a side markers are inlayed abalone... very nice!

Even the Makala Dolpin bridge uke has them!

I really appreciate side markers. Especially when I switch to a different size uke, or when learning a new song. Very important for me.

–Lori

My Mainland Honeybee Soprano has them but my Mainland Slotted Head Concert does not. That's bc the Honeybees came form a different factory. Still an amazing uke though!!

All my S&J Emil Bader 'ukuleles have them. ;)

It's no big deal to add them. Common sizes in mother of pearl or abalone shell are 2, 3, and 4 mm for side dots. You can get them from Luthier's Mercantile or Rescue Pearl. Luthier's also sells brad point drill bits in those metric sizes. If you're not used to doing this kind of thing, have a local luthier do it.

My ukes with side-markers: Kamaka tenor & soprano (only at 7th fret), Kanile'a, Pono, Mainland Honeybee, and Kala.

My ukes without side-markers: Mainland slotted-head concert, Waverly Street banjolele, and Recording King resonator.

Top Bottom