Strumming Patterns?

nkorb21

Reaction score
Ok. So I find that when I'm learning a song, I usually either DDUUD or DUDUD strum. Is this okay to do? Should I work on different strumming patterns. I usually just check this out when looking for strumming patterns. Any other suggestions. Thanks!:D

Ok. So I find that when I'm learning a song, I usually either DDUUD or DUDUD strum. Is this okay to do? Should I work on different strumming patterns. I usually just check this out when looking for strumming patterns. Any other suggestions. Thanks!:D

It's always okay to do what you feel is right. The main thing I do since I play alone is try to emulate the actual pattern by ear, then just add my own flavor to it, fan strum chunks etc.

Ditto on the "play what sounds good" advice.

I just listen to the overall rhythm of the song, then play something that sort of echos that. In other words if you were to beat on the top of your desk along with the song, what "pattern" would you wind up with? Then just transfer that over to the uke.

JJ

I used that sheet myself to learn new patterns. The problem is I revert to DDUUD or DUDU when I try and sing along!

I used that sheet myself to learn new patterns. The problem is I revert to DDUUD or DUDU when I try and sing along!

:agree:

Yes! me too- I always feel like I use the same strum too (DDUUD)! I was thinking of making up a little cheat sheet with different strums on it so that I could refer to it when I feel like I need to mix it up a bit and try something different. I do have the strums patterns PDF mentioned above and it is helpful.

anyone have any ideas on a few strums that a stuck-in-a-strum-rut newbie should try when they want to try something different for a change??

anyone have any ideas on a few strums that a stuck-in-a-strum-rut newbie should try when they want to try something different for a change??
Have you tried YouTube yet? Pick a video that teaches you a strum, spend a couple of minutes on it, then find a few more. Go back to the one you liked the best and practice it for, I dunno, twenty minutes or so. Then see if you can remember it the next day ;)

Yeah I just realized I only know how to DUDUDUDUDU like frankenstein. I toss in a NGAAAHH! every so often and everything is okay after that.

I'll try some of these, but I find that I keep reverting back to the same old boring strum.

I'm about to say a few very unpopular things. Take them or leave them.;)

I find patterns written like the ones above to be largely useless. Rhythm and tempo are the key factors. UDX are just tools to get there, and don't really say much.

Just play out the rhythm and feel of the song, the patterns emerge from there.

If you find yourself doing the same things all the time - listen more. Try to emulate a funk feel, a rock back beat, a waltz, a blues shuffle, a samba - you'll quickly see that UDX don't matter... What matters is the timing and expression - not the direction of the strum.

You will be MUCH better served ignoring “strum patterns” all together and instead learning traditional rhythms (again waltz, shuffle, samba, rock, etc…) and playing what you feel.

One man’s U is another man’s D – as long as the player is on rhythm and time, it makes very little difference.

Last edited:
Just to echo Grumpy, there is no rule written in stone saying you have to strum a certain pattern. Albeit, there will be exceptions but for the most part, it's all rhythm, tempo and feeling.

Just to echo Grumpy, there is no rule written in stone saying you have to strum a certain pattern. Albeit, there will be exceptions but for the most part, it's all rhythm, tempo and feeling.
Yep - There are some very specific "tricks" that DUX help with understanding quite a bit - but they are few and far between. Unless you are trying to emulate a particular player or fancy stunt - ignore 'em.

Top Bottom