Problems keep in tune at start, is it the strings?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have trouble keeping a new-to-me (used) tenor uke in tune. It has Ko'olau Gold, low-g strings (also new to me, but used). It always seemed flat when I first start playing. I’ve only had the uke a couple of days so I thought the uke might be adjusting and the (used) strings might be re-stretching. So I re-tuned. Then after playing awhile, the tuning sounded off, and I found it was sharp. I retuned again, all was fine.

Today it was flat again. It’s been five days since I got it. I keep it in a case with humidifier (with hygrometer). So, today I played it flat for a while, and then it started to get in tune by itself. After 5 minutes or so of playing it was finely in tune. Wow. I figure it might be the heat from my hands on the strings. Is this normal?

My house is set at 69F. I have other ukes (concert, super concert) with different strings (Worth, Aquila); they are always in tune right out of the case, and stay that way while I play. So, is this typical for Ko'olau Gold, low-g strings? Maybe they are too old?

Any suggestions appreciated.

doubt it is your hands!

New strings do need stretching and can take many days to break in.

The other issue may be slipping strings at the pegs - make sure they are firmly attached to the tuners - several windings, and possibly knotted too.

I find I have to knot worths on my mainland slotted headstock, but not aquilas, as they seem to have a bit more grip.

Thanks for the suggestion.

No slippage that I can see (several wraps on tuners, pinned/pegged at bridge). Also the Ko'olau Gold strings go from flat to in-tune after playing a while. Stay in-tune after that.

The strings are used, but were loosened to ship the uke to me. Do they need to stretch again from being loosened?

they do. I took my strings off one of my ukes recently that had been bang on tune for months (in order to clean fingerboard). Back on they were sloppy for days.

With new strings I always stretch them manually to speed process up, but if they are used, I'm afraid I wouldnt. Tune them. Strum them hard for 10 mins, re-tune and repeat.

If the problem persists, I'd think about ditching the strings, or double checking the tuners.

Q: Are they friction tuners?

Thanks for the reply.

They are sealed gear tuners (Grover).

My tuner shows my other ukes spot on, (as they sound). So it seems OK. I'll keep strumming this set for awhile and see what happens. If no improvement, I'll ditch theses strings (I'm eyeing Fremont Black Lines).

It might be a bit colder in the case, as it is on the floor of the room. Weird.

I think its the strings. The wound low G string seems fine, and the A string is OK. The middle two C & E (the thickest) have the really observable changes.

I have a question regarding this, one of my tuners keeps getting really loose, I tightened the screws on the back a little, but its still loose (to the point it can shake when i touch it). Please help. thanks

Top Bottom