PDA

View Full Version : If you could have any uke...

Uke.
12-12-2009, 05:09 AM
What would you have? :D

I was wondering what the best uke really is, or whether all the top brands are equally as good as each other. IMO Moore Bettah's are the most beautiful, but do they sound as good as they look?

Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanile'a etc.. which would you have if price was no problem?

:)

franulele
12-12-2009, 05:17 AM
:iwant:Kepasa or KoAloha.

Skrik
12-12-2009, 05:19 AM
The problem is that I haven't tried all the ukuleles there are to choose from. I'm pretty sure that the first one I would choose, were budget not a consideration, would be a Pete Howlett custom soprano in flame mahogany.

jer989
12-12-2009, 05:23 AM
geez, right now, as stupid as it sounds, if I could have anything - a camp Flea uke (http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=238) actually.

Doc_J
12-12-2009, 05:37 AM
I'd like a Moore Bettah custom concert !
(slotted head, side ports, lots of inlaid MOP, etc.):)

Melissa82
12-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Mainland tenor mango

Hankthetank
12-12-2009, 05:49 AM
What would you have? :D

IMO Moore Bettah's are the most beautiful, but do they sound as good as they look?

:)

They sound better than they look IMO:)

haole
12-12-2009, 06:56 AM
A Pineapple Sunday or a Moore Bettah concert with some neat inlays.

Ahnko Honu
12-12-2009, 07:25 AM
a 1957 Kamaka pineapple.

brickerenator
12-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Too many choices, lol

Right now I'd take pretty much any uke, since I have none on me

Rick
12-12-2009, 07:59 AM
hah KoAloha Concert.

grammy
12-12-2009, 08:02 AM
a vintage martin k5....or a nice vintage kamaka

scottie
12-12-2009, 08:43 AM
All very reasonably priced, all are wonderful instruments and I don't have to order them vie the internet. Income tax refund time is close. . . woo hoo!

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/UC1koa-219.html

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/UC2-233.html

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/UT1128.html

ukecantdothat
12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Ukes are like people. Which people are the best? Even within the same "race" there are differences between one and the next. They come in all shapes and sizes, just like people. Some are boat shaped, some are pineapples, some are wood, some are glossy, some are satin, some are spalted, some are stained, some are metal, some are plastic, some are made from cigar boxes, some are made from lunch boxes, some dress in nylon strings, some are strung with fluorocarbon, some are low G, some are high G, some are geared, some are friction, some are slotted, some are loud, some are quiet, some are acoustic, some are electric, some are solid citizens, some are laminated, some are expensive, some have more frugal tastes, some are inlaid, some are Plain Janes, some have soft cases, some are hardened, some have none at all, some are hung on wall, while others lean against a bookcase...

All make me smile.:):):)

JT_Ukes
12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Right now my dream uke is a Koaloha Soprano. a simple Classic Hawaiian made ukulele.

JT

6stringconvert
12-12-2009, 10:10 AM
For me, it would be a Pete Howlett concert ukulele, with a plain koa front, and crazly curly koa back and sides.

6sc

haolejohn
12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I've gotten 2 of my dream ukes already and I only have 2 left. A pineapple sunday and a custom tenor with a hawaiian island chain sound holes.

Doc_J
12-12-2009, 10:40 AM
John,

Which one besides the Koaloha Sceptre ?

experimentjon
12-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I'd have to get a KoAloha Sceptre again.

But this time with crazier wood. Koa neck, but with flame patterns in the neck where I can see them. Oh yes, and a satin finished neck. Also would use open gear grover tuners to save a tad bit of weight. I'd also use ebony fretboard and crown bridge. Then curly koa body with ebony or birds eye maple side accents, rather than zebrawood. Then I'd probably have to bling it out with a dragon inlay on the neck in abalone, from Kekani, and my chinese name engraved very small in the back, near where the neck joins the body. Then throw a Fishman Matrix Infinity in it.

uke5417
12-12-2009, 11:37 AM
a 1957 Kamaka pineapple.

I've heard you say this a few times. How would one spot a '57 if they saw it?

Reason I ask is that I've seen a couple of old Kamaka pinapples for sale around the SF Bay Area. I could give you a heads-up if I knew what to look for.

Nuprin
12-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Loving my current selection of ukes. For awhile I had really wanted a Kamaka tenor but that's just been accomplished. For now UAS is satiated with the exception of a Moore Bettah. Heard amazing things about them and they all sound incredible in the videos I've seen. Plus they're soooo pretty.

bbycrts
12-12-2009, 01:50 PM
With no disrespect intended to the OP at all, this question comes up every three months or so and you know what? It's one of my favorites everytime it does come up! I love reading about people's dream ukes.

For quite a while now my dream uke has been a concert with myrtle back and sides, Port Orford cedar top, and other Oregon-sourced woods - maple, claro walnut...

That or a concert Chuch Moore...mmmmmmm.

Susie A
12-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Mya-Moa Resonator :)

KC8AFW
12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm with bbycrts...I enjoy these. Especially since my dream uke changes about every 3 months or so. Currently, I'm lusting after these:

Martin 3C
http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/pImages/3%20Cherry%20Uke_f.jpg

Or the Moore Bettah 3-Mermaids
http://www.moorebettahukes.com/mermaid_uke_006_op_256x635.jpg

haolejohn
12-12-2009, 02:36 PM
John,

Which one besides the Koaloha Sceptre ?

My mele double puka solid koa with abalone inlay. That was my first dream uke from my first visit to mele. I love these threads and since I've been a memebr here I have gotten 2 of my dream ukes. Hopefully I'll have one more come feb.

Kanaka916
12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Here are some of the previous threads;
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21934
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19999
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19922

kenikas
12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I got to agree with Ukecantdothat, they all make me smile! Ultimately a Kamaka, Kanilea, or Koaloha Tenor, But right now I don't feel my playing could do a Hawaiian "K" brand justice, not to mention the wife would kill me for spending that much! So right now I'm wanting Chinese "K" brand, Kala Slotted Headstock Acacia Tenor and/or a solid mahogany concert (probably Ohana or Mainland).

Brad Bordessa
12-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Right now my Kamaka tenor makes me really happy, so the only thing that would be an improvement would be something custom made. And the only way I could afford something custom made is to get sponsored. And to get sponsored......

But in a perfect world:

Tenor - koa body
Cocobolo fretboard - no fret dots
"BB" inlayed on the headstock
Worth clear strings (lifetime supply of course)
And a pickup system from 20 years down the road

Pippin
12-13-2009, 12:24 AM
I think this question has been asked before and I said that my dream ukulele would be a Mike DaSilva "Santo" reproduction.

Someone commented asking why not an original "Santo" rather than the reproduction. Well, because I really do believe that Mike DaSilva's "Santo" is actually a better-made instrument than the original.

Our modern luthiers are turning out ukuleles that surpass the quality of the makers of the past.

guitharsis
12-13-2009, 12:37 AM
After only 1/2 year, my playing definitely does not do a Hawaiin K brand, my KoAloha concert, justice but I bought it on impulse and am not sorry.:)

Presently have a classical guitar and a mandolin being sold on consignment. By the time they sell, maybe I'll improve some and will reinvest the money in ukuleles.

My dream uke would be a Moore Bettah, probably concert, and still would like to have a soprano or super soprano KoAloha. Also love the Pineapple Sunday.

Big_e
12-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm easy to please. I'll take the Kelii solid Koa soprano that MGM is selling at this time. :)
Ernest

rpeters
12-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Ukuleles are constantly being redesigned for better quality. MGM just said that Pono is coming out with a new incredible line of Ukes. So really the quality will just continue to get better, making us Uke players only more addicted to dishing out money for these Ukes. It seems we are never satisfied...

ukestang
12-13-2009, 09:23 AM
My next 2 ukes will be a fluke and a Mainland tenor of some sort. A Fluke because every uke player should have one, also the first videos I watched was punkgai 44 playing Beatle songs on a Fluke. A Mainland because they are great ukes and I like Mikes (hooiserhiver) attitude and business plan. Nothing extravagant, just great and fun Ukes.

bnicholas26
12-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I'd like to buy a uke STORE.

ukecantdothat
12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd like to buy a uke STORE.

:agree::drool::music::nana:

hoosierhiver
12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I've heard you say this a few times. How would one spot a '57 if they saw it?

Reason I ask is that I've seen a couple of old Kamaka pinapples for sale around the SF Bay Area. I could give you a heads-up if I knew what to look for.

Look for the tail fins. ;)

uke5417
12-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Look for the tail fins. ;)

Could be one of those ones I've seen around here with fuzzy-dice bling and tuck 'n' roll cases. I think Harrison Ford drove a '57 Kamaka in "American Graffiti."

lukuleles
12-14-2009, 02:07 PM
http://ukemaker.com/images/UkeGallery/063-CMCustom-2048.jpg

Kite
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
A custom made would be nice. But from who, or even what customizations I'm still not too sure about.

So a Pineapple Sunday would sure do the trick. :D

SailQwest
12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I have dreams about a spruce/ebony concert sceptre. Sigh.

And I have extracted a semi-promise from SailorQwest that he will get me a Moore Bettah as an anniversary gift in 2012. (Spruce top, of course, with an inlay that matches my tattoo.)