If you could have any uke...

Uke.

Reaction score
What would you have? :D

I was wondering what the best uke really is, or whether all the top brands are equally as good as each other. IMO Moore Bettah's are the most beautiful, but do they sound as good as they look?

Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanile'a etc.. which would you have if price was no problem?

:)

The problem is that I haven't tried all the ukuleles there are to choose from. I'm pretty sure that the first one I would choose, were budget not a consideration, would be a Pete Howlett custom soprano in flame mahogany.

geez, right now, as stupid as it sounds, if I could have anything - a camp Flea uke actually.

I'd like a Moore Bettah custom concert !
(slotted head, side ports, lots of inlaid MOP, etc.):)

What would you have? :D

IMO Moore Bettah's are the most beautiful, but do they sound as good as they look?

:)

They sound better than they look IMO:)

a 1957 Kamaka pineapple.

hah KoAloha Concert.

Ukes are like people. Which people are the best? Even within the same "race" there are differences between one and the next. They come in all shapes and sizes, just like people. Some are boat shaped, some are pineapples, some are wood, some are glossy, some are satin, some are spalted, some are stained, some are metal, some are plastic, some are made from cigar boxes, some are made from lunch boxes, some dress in nylon strings, some are strung with fluorocarbon, some are low G, some are high G, some are geared, some are friction, some are slotted, some are loud, some are quiet, some are acoustic, some are electric, some are solid citizens, some are laminated, some are expensive, some have more frugal tastes, some are inlaid, some are Plain Janes, some have soft cases, some are hardened, some have none at all, some are hung on wall, while others lean against a bookcase...

All make me smile.:):):)

I'd have to get a KoAloha Sceptre again.

But this time with crazier wood. Koa neck, but with flame patterns in the neck where I can see them. Oh yes, and a satin finished neck. Also would use open gear grover tuners to save a tad bit of weight. I'd also use ebony fretboard and crown bridge. Then curly koa body with ebony or birds eye maple side accents, rather than zebrawood. Then I'd probably have to bling it out with a dragon inlay on the neck in abalone, from Kekani, and my chinese name engraved very small in the back, near where the neck joins the body. Then throw a Fishman Matrix Infinity in it.

Top Bottom