My new Kala KA-ASM-TEC All solid Mahogany Tenor Cutaway

Chase

Reaction score
Hey UUers! I just purchased this brand new uke for christmas, and should be here in a week or so!! First let me say, i am STOKED to play it...it's gotten all positive reviews, so I'm pretty excited. Just a couple questions if any of you might have an answer:

1.) Since it's all solid wood, will the action get messed with once it starts adjusting to this cold indiana weather??? (btw, what is the action?)

2.) Are there any sort of special care-taking things i need to do since it is all solid?

Thanks for any and all help! I purchased it through Musicguymic on ebay, and he was really fast in responding to emails. Overall, this is a FANTASTIC price for all of the benefits: All-solid (no laminates), beautiful tone and sustain from what i've heard online, MGM upgrades it to brand new Aquila strings, rosewood fretboard, geared tuners, MGM includes a brand new hard shell case for free, and then he dresses and waxes it. It's going to rock! I can't wait!!!

--Chase

The "action" is the height of the strings above the fretboard. Adjusting the action is part of a quality set-up of a uke....and MGM does great set-ups.

Don't worry too much about the cold weather. Avoid sudden severe temperature swings. Try to maintain adequate humidity (45 - 50%). Generally speaking, if you are comfortable, your uke is fine....

Congrats on the new uke! We have a saying here on the forums...."Pics, or it didn't happen!" :D

Happy new uke day, Chase! :smileybounce:

What part of Indiana are you from? I'm a 1/2 hour North of South Bend (across the Michigan border). A Herco case humidifier should be more than adequate for the climate up here.

I lived in Fort Wayne, IN for about a year. During that time I had my Taylor guitar sitting on a guitar stand right next to a window. It messed it up...neck became bowed, body got a hairline crack, and the bridge started coming up. I've since started monitoring the humidity level where I keep my solid wood instruments (get yourself a hygrometer). I've found that in my current house in VT the humidity generally sits somewhere between 37-42%. I've been keeping my solid wood instruments in their cases with a humidifier and things are fine.

Awesome!!! I will definitely post some pictures and a review in the next couple weeks once i've played on it some.

Where might I find a case humidifier, and how much might it cost? haha

Thanks!

most music stores will have them, but if thats not an option, MGM sells them for a few bucks.

Happy new uke day, Chase! :smileybounce:

What part of Indiana are you from? I'm a 1/2 hour North of South Bend (across the Michigan border). A Herco case humidifier should be more than adequate for the climate up here.

I'm down here in West Lafayette, bout 3ish hours south of you! And thanks, I'm going to Mcguire's Music shop tomorrow anyways, so i'll pick up a little case humidifier while I am there! :D

IT'S HERE!!! I am SO STOKED to play this little guy!!! It is a truly beautiful instrument!!! INCREDIBLE sound, AMAZING playability, looks gorgeous, and GREAT service from Musicguymic!!! I LOVE IT!!! :D :D :D
album.php

I have one just like it! Got it last summer through a UU sale, guy in Australia. All good.

I use mine at band jams and it performs better than I do. I use a short guitar strap when standing up with the band. Experiment with your uke-mounted controls to determine how much tone you like. Mine is on the low side of middle.

This is a great uke. The case is sturdy and roomy. You're well on your way to a ukemonious existense.

Top Bottom