What do you think about this?

robha

Reaction score
Ukulele Underground has developed quite a community. With this in mind, what do you think about using it in a very positive way? I don't mean to say it isn't a positive place, but to reach outside/beyond the uke.
I was thinking that UU could do some kind of online benefit such as an auction(Maybe some members and/or sponsors have extra, old, or never used ukes or uke realated stuff that the others could bid on (gig bags, pickups, strings...). The proceeds would go to a needy member or sponsor a child or children, or a charity, help a school with their music dept. UU would set the rules and decide who what and were in all matters of course.
Anyway it was a thought. If you think its not feasible please say so, it won't hurt my feelings. It could be a win win situation for all involved. And could be tax decuctable too! Plus it could be quite fun.
Thanks for your time.
Rob

Last edited:
Maybe the bidders pay for shipping too?

UU could set up an eBay account. Items would be donated by members. The money would go to a charity.

UU could set up an eBay account. Items would be donated by members. The money would go to a charity.
Lets see what the staff has to say. But that is a good idea too.

this sounds pretty good.

we'll probably end up on one of those talk shows, like oprha(sp?) etc.

but i'd be down.. assuming that everything i have ukulele, i actually use :S but when we get a total of selling stuff i can add money to it and then donate it :)

63 people have looked at this

Ukulele Underground has developed quite a community. With this in mind, what do you think about using it in a very positive way? I don't mean to say it isn't a positive place, but to reach outside/beyond the uke.
I was thinking that UU could do some kind of online benefit such as an auction(Maybe some members and/or sponsors have extra, old, or never used ukes or uke realated stuff that the others could bid on (gig bags, pickups, strings...). The proceeds would go to a needy member or sponsor a child or children, or a charity, help a school with their music dept. UU would set the rules and decide who what and were in all matters of course.
Anyway it was a thought. If you think its not feasible please say so, it won't hurt my feelings. It could be a win win situation for all involved. And could be tax decuctable too! Plus it could be quite fun.
Thanks for your time.
Rob
63 people have looked at this as of now and only two have commented. Interesting!

Sounds like a deachy thing to do. :D

I like the idea. The community has really taken off and there are so many great people on here already. You think we are big enough that we can take on something like that? I'm not really in a position to donate much of anything, but the idea of spreading the uke love sounds awesome.

63 people have looked at this as of now and only two have commented. Interesting!

Rob, I'm guessing that in general most people would be in favor of something like this. You are right about the UU community growing very quickly etc. and maybe this would be biting off more than we can chew, so to speak, for lack of a better explanation.

What I mean is that it would take some time and dedication to do this and I'm just guessing that the staff here at UU are probably pretty busy as it is. We've had two ukulele giveaways (for which Ryan and others are still pouring over the video submissions), the time it took dealing with the first round of T shirts, the sticker giveaway, the open mics etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great idea that has potential that might be something to consider down the road a bit. Does that make any sense? I just woke up and am only on my first cup o java ;).

I do understand being busy

Rob, I'm guessing that in general most people would be in favor of something like this. You are right about the UU community growing very quickly etc. and maybe this would be biting off more than we can chew, so to speak, for lack of a better explanation.

What I mean is that it would take some time and dedication to do this and I'm just guessing that the staff here at UU are probably pretty busy as it is. We've had two ukulele giveaways (for which Ryan and others are still pouring over the video submissions), the time it took dealing with the first round of T shirts, the sticker giveaway, the open mics etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great idea that has potential that might be something to consider down the road a bit. Does that make any sense? I just woke up and am only on my first cup o java ;).
Dom
This idea was something I was thinking about and thought I would throw it out there. I know they are busy and work hard at making this one of, if not the best site of it's kind. By posting it I wasn't expecting anything like this to happen. I just wanted some feed back and I hope I'm not coming across as pushy. Thanks for your insight.

Actually, we had something planned for April that didn't end up happening. Some of the people in the greater uke community might remember Anita Coyoli-Cullen and her charity Ukes for Troops. She would accept donations and send ukuleles and song books to troops deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. We thought it was a great charity and was very excited to try to help. I was in contact with her and the April contest was originally going to be a donation raffle to try and help her raise some money to send more ukuleles overseas. Unfortunately, when we finally had everything organized, Anita had decided to no longer continue Ukes for Troops. She had unselfishly given her time, energy and money for 2 years to that project and she deserved a much needed break.

With that being said, we're now currently looking for a new charity that we and the members of this website can support. If anyone has any ideas on a charity or cause that all of our members (remember we have a large international presence) can get behind please let me know.

could be like a 40 hour famin thing :D get everybody to put some ukulele music together and make it go for 40 hours? right..

ok joking.. but, i think it would be cool.. get some donation things made up and ill go door to door on the weekends for donations :D - thinking about what i should ask haha

"hello, im from the ukulele underground and im asking for donations"
they would be like "wtf??" Anybody got a specific charity? :)

Free rice

I didn't know about Anita Coyoli-Cullen and her charity Ukes. Bless her heart for all her work.

I want to say the more I hang out here at UU the more impressed I am with you guys. I am happy and proud to be a member....Thank you!!!

I learned of a website called Freerice.com, check it out. Maybe it's something we all could spend a few minutes a day/week doing. Maybe UU could encourage this through it's site. Not only does it feed hungry people but you can learn a little while doing it. I'm not telling what it's about, you have to check it out to find out.

Freerice.com

Actually, we had something planned for April that didn't end up happening. Some of the people in the greater uke community might remember Anita Coyoli-Cullen and her charity Ukes for Troops. She would accept donations and send ukuleles and song books to troops deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. We thought it was a great charity and was very excited to try to help. I was in contact with her and the April contest was originally going to be a donation raffle to try and help her raise some money to send more ukuleles overseas. Unfortunately, when we finally had everything organized, Anita had decided to no longer continue Ukes for Troops. She had unselfishly given her time, energy and money for 2 years to that project and she deserved a much needed break.

With that being said, we're now currently looking for a new charity that we and the members of this website can support. If anyone has any ideas on a charity or cause that all of our members (remember we have a large international presence) can get behind please let me know.
Freerice.com Check it out.

Freerice.com is awesome! I've been doing this since I saw a Youtube Video on it...

Top Bottom