ohana sk35g vs ck35gs

mcnilly

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im just upgrading from my makala soprano to something a bit better . . .
i've decided to either go for the ohana concert (solid mahogany) with geared tuners (which have been upgraded from spec. due to a mistake and is on offer for £140 £20 of rrp) or an ohana soprano (again, solid mahogany) with friction tuners and a case (also has a strap peg installed) im not sure how much it is (its on the 'bay) i've got till tomorrow to decide on which to get, any advice would be highly appreciated

Thanks,
Will

both decent ukes.

You are bound to get various bits of advice about tuners, but to be honest, as far as I am concerned, if they are DECENT frictions (which they should be), I honestly dont have a preference with those over geared tuners. If they are good they work. Sure, geared are easier to tune, but friction work fine. I have them on my Flea and they work perfectly. Also, beware fric tuners on a small light uke, as they can make the neck heavy (the uke will tend to slip, neck down)

Anyway, if we ignore the tuners, you are really looking at a size argument :eek:

Again, you will get varying views - but again, I have both. Concert scale is def more versatile, and will allow some higher fret work, but equally, the sops are more portable throwaround ukes, and in my view, more traditionally "UKE"

good luck!

Thanks for the advice! i assume you meant geared tuners on sopranos rather than friction! Hmmm i do like to finger pick so that would suggest i should go for the concert. Well, i shall see how much the soprano is at tomorrow and will make my decision!

Thanks

Ebay is so unpredictable nowadays. There will be a fair few people watching that Ohana on ebay, including me, and the price is likely to rocket in the last 10 minutes or so. The other day I saw a used Stagg US-80S go for over £58 which is £11 more than they are new! People obviously get carried away at Christmas.

I also prefer the Concert size by the way, I think it is the most versatile size.

Ian.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply, yes i know what you mean, i've found thats becoming increasingly more common now, you used to get a bit more activity at the end of an auction but now you see 6 or 7 bids in the last 5 mins! well i doubt il get it as im not going to bid that high.

Has anyone compared a mainland to an ohana before? im curious there both at about the same price range and the mainland has a bit more eye candy (to my distaste) and i've heard good things

I have an Ohana Tenor (TK35g I think) and it is lovely. Beautifully finished and very loud but mellow sounding. It came with Aquila's but they're not as bright sounding as they sometimes can be. The only thing I don't like about it is that the strings seem closer to the edge of the fretboard than usual and I sometimes push them off the edge. That's probably more due to my playing though, JohnCaudrey said he found the same but he changed his technique slightly and now doesn't find it a problem. I don't play my Tenor much to be honest, I think it has a lot to do with it being bright and shiny and relatively expensive - I don't want to make it dirty!!

Ian.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks grumpyoldman well il think im going to go with the ck35gs, the soprano is at nearly £140 now :O and its been used . . . bet its going to go for some silly price!

The Ohana CK35GS turned up today, Looks fantastic, the figuring on the wood is beautiful, its got a nice deep rich sound and its just heaven to play! An absolute steal at £140 with upgrade to Gotoh vintage tuners, thanks for the advice everyone it has been much appreciated!

Top Bottom