Pineapples - who has one and which brand?

spots

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a pineapple tenor uke and would like to hear from folks who own them - thoughts on the build quality, intonation, etc.

There don't seem to be many companies that make pineapples (ukes that is, 'cause I know folks on here have a dole sense of humor), so what maker did you find?

I'm looking to purchase a pineapple tenor uke and would like to hear from folks who own them - thoughts on the build quality, intonation, etc.

There don't seem to be many companies that make pineapples (ukes that is, 'cause I know folks on here have a dole sense of humor), so what maker did you find?

I think only Pono makes a true tenor sized body pineapple. KoAloha's Pineapple Sunday is a super concert and all the other manufacturers that I know of make soprano sized bodies (some with long necks.)

Ahnko Honu in 3 2 1 ...

Thanks for the replies.

Wish that they were more available in the larger sizes.

They make tenor pineapples? Ok, this just in... Melissa changes her new want to a Tenor Pineapple.

I'm not too sure about tenor sized pineapples, but there's a good few concert sized ones out there. Personally I think I'd stick with just a concert or soprano size for pineapple shapes.

Some soprano-sized pineapples I've been looking at are the Kala/makala's, the Kamoa right in the UU store, and the interesting Tattoo Pineapple from Luna Guitars :drool:

I own several pineapples but only one is a tenor a koa wood NICE brand made in the Philippines but set up here in Hawaii. I picked it up at the local Flea market (Aloha Stadium) which is the only place I have seen them for sale. A shop on Maui sells these too but under their own D&D label. I'm happy with the sound, and the price. Tenor pineapples are rare but as deach mentioned Ko'olau makes them, also Mike Perreira makes them up to a baritone size a walnut/redwood pineapple MP being my dream baritone. Locally R&L 'ukuleles just started offering a koa pineapple tenor. I own a concert R&L and I'm very impressed with the sound quality not to mention the awesome flame koa.
Here's a recent picture of a tenor R&L (naural sound hole) I took last month at the "Ukulele Guild of Hawai'i exhibition in Waikiki.

R&L koa tenor natural sound hole
P1010268.jpg

NICE brand koa tenor
P1010160.jpg

I have never seen a natural sound hole before. Looks very cool!

William King recently made his first pineapple ukulele. It's a super-concert. It looks pretty basic, but should have the outstanding sound Kings are known for.

The one on the far right
4ukes-6.jpg

4ukes-10.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts, names of additional makers, and the pics!

Those are some stunning looking instruments pictured!

Pineapples have a great sound. Not sure why they haven't caught on more.

This is my Pineapple Sunday. There are many like it but this one is mine. My Pineapple Sunday is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Pineapple Sunday is useless. Without my Pineapple Sunday I am useless.

100_4589.jpg

You might have to be a movie buff to understand this...;)

Top Bottom