Buzzing on the A string

Dannn

Reaction score
A couple days ago I noticed a buzz on the A string of one of my ukes. I was hoping it would go away. It hasn't. I have been looking all over it, and I can't see anything loose or the string hitting frets. I don't have a clue what it could be. I haven't looked inside with a mirror yet. Possibly a loose brace? But it's only the A string, no others.

Here's all the pertinent information I can think of:
Ohana concert, cedar/rosewood.
2 year old uke, no prior problems.
Worth BM strings.
Only buzzes when I pick or strum pretty hard.
Buzzes open or fretted up to the 7th fret, not above that.
It has been quite cold here, and the heat is on, so it is drier than usual.
The offending noise is a bit twangy, if that makes sense.

Any ideas?

Edit:
Well, I'm new to UU, and I just noticed that there is a Uke tech support area where I should have posted this. Then I noticed that there is even a FAQ for string buzzing. Perhaps a mod would be kind enough to move this thread to its proper home?

I'll add additional information:
I can't tell where the source of the buzz is. However, since it still buzzes when fretting, it shouldn't be the nut.
I don't hear anything rattle when I shake it.
The strings are almost 2 years old. Perhaps I need to change them.
The frets aren't perfectly even, but the action is high enough that I don't think that's the problem.

Last edited:
No ideas?

It's driving me nuts.

It is definitely loudest with my finger on the first fret, then gets progressively softer as I work my way down the fretboard. The buzzing is about the same open as on the 6th fret. By fret 7 or 8, the buzzing goes away.

2 years old? Yes, change your strings!

Well, that was it. I just put on new Freemont strings from MGM. The buzzing is gone. Not only that, but it sounds much better overall. I was thinking that the uke was sounding a bit tinny, and now it sounds richer. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom