dull 'a' string question

raecarter

Reaction score
Hi everyone how often should I need to change my strings? The reason I ask is my a string sounds dull compared to last week when I git my kala solid mahogany concert? Is it a string problem or possibly an intonation problem? I have ordered some worth browns as I found the aquilas sound too bright if that sounds possible?

Hi everyone how often should I need to change my strings? The reason I ask is my a string sounds dull compared to last week when I git my kala solid mahogany concert? Is it a string problem or possibly an intonation problem? I have ordered some worth browns as I found the aquilas sound too bright if that sounds possible?

Aloha Rae, allot of people feel the same as you, that the Aquillas sound too bright especially when on a solid top 'ukulele. I think you're on the right path with the Worth Browns, and you will not be disappointed.

Aloha thank you for your response can you explain why though? How long do your strings last as I have only had the uke a week and the a sounds poor I've felt it and it feels bucked a bit at the 3rd and 4th fret would that affect the sound greatly?

Rough frets will wear a string quickly and have negative impact on string life and sound. Can you take your 'ukulele back where you got it to have them clean up the rough edges? If you have confidence and experience it can be done yourself with a very fine file but I suggest getting it taken care of by the seller since still new.

Last edited:
Well theres a problem as I bought it from mgm but live in the UK. I have been playing a song with a g chord slinding too the 5th and 7th fret on the a string so may be that ill feel the the frets and investigate. Thanks again

You might want to visit a local music store or a local luthier. Seems like you need just a little fret-shaped filing and some buffing with steel wool. The would probaly do it for little or no charge. A fret shaping file is a bit pricey for you to buy for one use.

Top Bottom