Ukulele Shops and Learning Centers

rpeters

Reaction score
After learning about MGM and his business I immediately became very jealous. He makes a living from his passion, the ukulele. I think it is really rare for people to have their passion be their job. Most of us play ukulele on the side, whether it's at school, or in a cubicle.

On to my point. The ukulele is becoming immensely popular all around the world due its carefree nature, portability, and sweet sound. However, there is of course a concentration in Hawaii, the rest of the world is spread far and wide, united only by websites like Ukulele Underground. I've heard of ukulele clubs in the UK, and some in the states.

Wouldn't it be cool though if some of us took the initiative to spread the ukulele crave? If members started their own clubs in their area and introduced the Uke to new members? I live in Maine and haven't heard of any clubs or learning groups near me, so I'm on my own. I also don't consider myself good enough to start one of these groups. If I wasn't graduating from college this year I would start the Ukulele Club at the University of New Hamphsire.

Another idea that came to mind, is that since I love music, I would love to be a Elementary school music teacher. As many of you know, these teachers usually have students purchase recorders, or some kind of cheap instrument to learn on. However, the Ukulele seems like the perfect instrument to learn. Unlike the recorder which kids usually give up after the class, Ukulele's will be continued to use for the rest of their lives. Plus each kid can purchase their own 30 dollar Mahalo. If I ever became a music teacher, I would start this program. School ukulele concerts would be some much fun!

If you do decide to become an elementary school teacher and include the ukulele into your curriculum, I would not go with the Mahalo. I'd go with the Makala Dolphin.

Sweet thanks for the advice. The dolphin looks like an overall better instrument and is still very cheap. Plus kids would love the dolphin bridge.

Thanks for the list too, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
I'm a music teacher (K-8) & my kids *really* enjoy playing the ukulele. I still use the recorder to give them the "woodwind" experience, but ukes provide such an excellent musical opportunity from an educational standpoint:

Beginners...
-can easily see their fingers
-can play melodies
-can play chords
-can sing along
-can play cool songs right away

And the ukulele...
-has a gentle sound
-is gentle on the fingers
-is gentle on the budget
-can be gateway to other musical instruments or a wonderful instrument in it's own right
-is great for solo or group performing
-is highly portable

I've been very impressed with my middle schoolers who have embraced the instrument because they can request songs, which I hunt up on the internet for them. I think ukes in the classroom are fabulous! Every music teacher should consider giving ukes a try with their kids.

Thank you! I'll step down from my soap box now!

Wonderful! I'm happy to hear teachers are indeed using the instrument in the classroom... well atleast 1 teacher is! It really is the perfect instrument to introduce music to beginners. I see the use in the recorder too, as it is an introduction to later band instruments, but for stringed instruments, the ukulele is unmatched!

Top Bottom