What Is It About the Makala Dolphin?

gnordenstam

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
So what is it about the Makala Dolphin that everyone seems to want one?

So what is it about the Makala Dolphin that everyone seems to want one?

For me? It's inexpensive, but it sounds great! (especially with Aquila strings on it!) And it comes in all kinds of pretty colours. :p At some point I might even get a second one. The one I have is the all laminate-wood one. The newer ones have plastic sides and back.

CountryMouse

they are cheap and sound good

with the new plastic bodies, they've really turned into a poor man's flea. I can honestly say without hesitation that the day they put out a plastic bodied makala concert dolphin my fluke will be for sale.

How Do I Love Thee?

I LOVE my Pink Dolphin. :p

1. Music Guy Mic (MGM) set it up with great strings and good action.
2. It plays really well for an inexpensive uke.
3. It's just so darn cute. Kids and adults talk about it.
4. Well made for the dough.
5. I just have fun playing it.:)
6. I take it everywhere and don't have to worry about it getting destroyed--although I would be sad if it did.

Well worth the $49 it cost to buy it from MGM and get it here.

Now I want a blue one (then a red one, then a...):drool:

I have gotten all my Kalas, except for the Kiwi, from local music stores. I think the Kalas/ Makalas come set up pretty nicely directly from Kala. When I bought a Dolphin Bridge Makala for a gift, I am pretty sure the store didn't do any set-up, and it was still very easy to play.

–Lori

The Makala dolphin is probably the cheapest ukulele that was actually designed with a player in mind, rather than a tourist who will hang it on a wall. For under fifty bucks, this is as good as it gets. The intonation is tolerable, the tuners work, and it makes a pleasant sound. Can't say that about most of the other ukes in its price range (which are usually toys!).

I WANT one. haha. Too bad I'm the generic college student trying to keep a GPA, minimum wage job for gas money, and presents for my friends and family up.

Makala Dolphin

Pro:

• Cheap
  • Quirky
  • Playable
  • Sound good
  • Near indestructible
  • Dolphin bridge

Con:

• They initiate UAS
  • Dolphin bridge

I remain annoyed that in the UK I have yet to find a dealer who can tell me if they have plastic ones in stock.

Are there any colours that are "plastic only" colours to give me (them) a clue?

brickerenator said:
You had a few grammar errors that I fixed for you

LOLz! :D

pauljmuk said:
I remain annoyed that in the UK I have yet to find a dealer who can tell me if they have plastic ones in stock.

Are there any colours that are "plastic only" colours to give me (them) a clue?

Same as that. :mad:

I've seen what might be plastic ones in a local music shop, but I haven't had a chance to go in and check yet.

Other than that one possible sighting I haven't been able to find the plastic ones anywhere here in UK.

The ply ones are fine, but we should have the choice!

I have recently had a chance to try one out for a week and I am thinking about getting one for a travel uke. I was surprised that they sound decent. I would definitely recommend them as a starter or travel uke.

I currently have three on their way to me - well, two - one arrived last week. They will be Christmas presents to the rest of my family. The one that came is a plastic-bodied candy apple red...

If you are able to see them in person it's relatively easy to tell if the body is plastic. The wooden ones have a natural wood color inside but the grain is unremarkable and nearly invisible. There is a thin strip of wooden kerfing where the back and sides meet but it is a solid, non-notched strip - almost like a thick strip of tape. The plastic is almost wood colored but has specks or flecks of color rather than grain.

When I received 16 of those puppies from MGM the only wooden ones were the red burst and solid orange. Everything else (pink, black, metallic blue, blueburst, orangeburst, green, purple) were plastic.

They are in the same price category as other entry level ukes - Hilo, Mahalo, some Stagg, etc. - but are head and shoulders superior in terms of playability, intonation, and tone. Their simple geared tuners are easier for a beginner to use than friction pegs, and they seem to be indestructible. The "poor man's flea" comparison is spot-on (though some folks from my congregation checked out my flea and said "Wow, that sounds better than ours. How much does one like that cost?")

"Wow, that sounds better than ours. How much does one like that cost?"
How did they respond when you told them how much the Flea was :D

Ugh, and this topic just made me want a Makala Dolphin too >_<
I've got a handful of cheap Mahalos that I've put Aquilas on and spent time sanding down the saddle for the intonation, which made them.. well better than before. But the fact that you can just get these Dolphins with the professional handywork of MGM for such an affordable price almost makes my personal efforts seem like a waste :(

Next time I need a good quality cheap uke (for travelling or for someone looking for a good cheap uke), I'll know where to look :)

Top Bottom