Do you Hi G or Low G?

Poke

Reaction score
I only own 1 uke right now. I low G. I like being able to get the low notes.:D

Life is too short to do just one so I do both. Most of my sopranos are high G except for my Flea, and I have a Tenor low g and will make my GCEA tuned baritone as well as my Mele concert into a low g.

I have two tenors..one high one low

I, too, have only one ukulele at this point. I'm using the high G. When I get my second one I'll likely try both.

I really prefer high G. It's more "ukey", and brings out the instrument's own character rather than just being a nylon strung guitar with a couple of strings missing.

But for strumming a back up for a vocal - especially a female vocal - low G does fill out the sound a bit. Also some fingerpicking accompaniments flow better with low G, IMHO.

On balance, though, it's high G for me.

If I can ever afford another reasonable tenor or concert uke (Kala kind of level) I'll string one high G and one low.

That's is the only reason I'd like two decent ukes. It'd save having to keep changing that one string! :D

I string High G mainly because I wanted to keep the Uke sound when I bought the Tenor :) it is a nice mix between guitar sounding and uke.

I have a tenor strung high G and one strung low G. I tend to play the hi G far more than the low, mainly because when I play the low, the G string seems to overpower everything else (maybe I need to strum differently with it, idk). I do think it sounds better with certain songs.

I have a tenor strung high G and one strung low G. I tend to play the hi G far more than the low, mainly because when I play the low, the G string seems to overpower everything else (maybe I need to strum differently with it, idk). I do think it sounds better with certain songs.

Wound strings often dominate the sound: it happens with low G and low C. I had probs with Aquila wound low Gs - too boomy. Worth low G sets with the plain G string work best on my uke. Better balance and more consistent tone across all strings. :)

I have a tenor strung up low-g, but everything else is high g.

I have a similar high/low mix as leftovermagic84.

2 high-g (concert & superconcert)
1 low-g (tenor)

Some songs are better in low-g (e.g., hallelujah), and many seem better in high-g. I do like my tenor in low-g. It took me some time to get used to it.

Wound strings often dominate the sound: it happens with low G and low C. I had probs with Aquila wound low Gs - too boomy. Worth low G sets with the plain G string work best on my uke. Better balance and more consistent tone across all strings. :)

I tried Worth Browns with the plain low g about 8 months ago and decided that it felt kind of loose or lower tensioned compared to the other strings. I still have the other half of the set, so maybe I'll try it again. Thanks for reminding me!

I like the idea of low G, but in practice I don't really like the way the sound has turned out. It's mostly a string issue though, I think.

My tenor uke is strung low G. I'm having trouble figuring out which strings to use for it, since I didn't want to try a wound G string. I ended up using a Worth brown string (unwound) for the low G, and left all the rest of the Aquilas on the other strings. I don't really like the way it sounds, unfortunately. I'm trying to decide what to do next... whether I should switch all of the strings to Worth browns or get a wound low G to go with the Aquilas.

All of my other ukes are high G, so I want to keep giving low G a try on my tenor. Maybe I'll eventually pick a string combination that I like. :)

I'm going to be doing low G soon when I get my tenor. I'll be working on some Rodrigo y Gabriela songs this winter break, and so I need the lower notes to hit some notes.

High G for sure! :D it just sounds better to me. I bet low G would be better for some of the spanish/classical pieces I play though. Maybe I need another uke for low G tuning. Hm.....

Someday I will go both ways, myself, but for now I'm having way too much fun getting high with my G's. I love the "inside out" kinds of rolls you just can't get with low G. I also like doing split string harmonies, jumping from G/E to C/A combos, with everything right there in close proximity, if that makes any sense (the intro to "Brown Eyed Girl" comes to mind, as an example).

The times when I miss the low notes are when I'm doing bluesy solos. If I can ever get it together, I've got a cigar box project waiting to happen. As soon as that is a reality, I'm going to try low G on it. I've got all the parts, it's just a matter of getting over to my luthier friend for some tools that I don't have and some help with the bracing. But since I'm a single uke guy right now, I'm gonna stay high!:shaka:

I like the idea of low G, but in practice I don't really like the way the sound has turned out. It's mostly a string issue though, I think.

My tenor uke is strung low G. I'm having trouble figuring out which strings to use for it, since I didn't want to try a wound G string. I ended up using a Worth brown string (unwound) for the low G, and left all the rest of the Aquilas on the other strings. I don't really like the way it sounds, unfortunately. I'm trying to decide what to do next... whether I should switch all of the strings to Worth browns or get a wound low G to go with the Aquilas.

All of my other ukes are high G, so I want to keep giving low G a try on my tenor. Maybe I'll eventually pick a string combination that I like. :)

Lauren, you're talking about your Kala, right? If you like the sound of Aquilas, I would buy a separate low G. I've tried the Aquila wound low G, and I didn't like it at all. I kept having to change it, as they kept breaking on me after only a few days.

I'd suggest buying a classical guitar D string. That's what I do now, and I'm much happier with the results.

Top Bottom