PDA

View Full Version : Do you Hi G or Low G?

Poke
12-13-2009, 10:03 PM
I only own 1 uke right now. I low G. I like being able to get the low notes.:D

Ahnko Honu
12-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Life is too short to do just one so I do both. Most of my sopranos are high G except for my Flea, and I have a Tenor low g and will make my GCEA tuned baritone as well as my Mele concert into a low g.

thejumpingflea
12-13-2009, 10:15 PM
High G. It gives you more versatility when playing solo than the Low G IMHO. (If you play in a band than Low G may be a better fit)

Seven57
12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I have two tenors..one high one low

scottie
12-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I, too, have only one ukulele at this point. I'm using the high G. When I get my second one I'll likely try both.

ogikloavailable
12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi G. Different taste *Nyamnyam*

buddhuu
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I really prefer high G. It's more "ukey", and brings out the instrument's own character rather than just being a nylon strung guitar with a couple of strings missing.

But for strumming a back up for a vocal - especially a female vocal - low G does fill out the sound a bit. Also some fingerpicking accompaniments flow better with low G, IMHO.

On balance, though, it's high G for me.

If I can ever afford another reasonable tenor or concert uke (Kala kind of level) I'll string one high G and one low.

That's is the only reason I'd like two decent ukes. It'd save having to keep changing that one string! :D

ainokeato
12-13-2009, 11:55 PM
I string High G mainly because I wanted to keep the Uke sound when I bought the Tenor :) it is a nice mix between guitar sounding and uke.

seeso
12-14-2009, 02:50 AM
I do both, but I prefer high G.

jvann
12-14-2009, 03:32 AM
I have a tenor strung high G and one strung low G. I tend to play the hi G far more than the low, mainly because when I play the low, the G string seems to overpower everything else (maybe I need to strum differently with it, idk). I do think it sounds better with certain songs.

buddhuu
12-14-2009, 03:40 AM
I have a tenor strung high G and one strung low G. I tend to play the hi G far more than the low, mainly because when I play the low, the G string seems to overpower everything else (maybe I need to strum differently with it, idk). I do think it sounds better with certain songs.

Wound strings often dominate the sound: it happens with low G and low C. I had probs with Aquila wound low Gs - too boomy. Worth low G sets with the plain G string work best on my uke. Better balance and more consistent tone across all strings. :)

spazus_maximus
12-14-2009, 04:19 AM
high g for me! once i get the hang of it i will try low

leftovermagic84
12-14-2009, 04:44 AM
I have a tenor strung up low-g, but everything else is high g.

Doc_J
12-14-2009, 04:51 AM
I have a similar high/low mix as leftovermagic84.

2 high-g (concert & superconcert)
1 low-g (tenor)

Some songs are better in low-g (e.g., hallelujah), and many seem better in high-g. I do like my tenor in low-g. It took me some time to get used to it.

jvann
12-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Wound strings often dominate the sound: it happens with low G and low C. I had probs with Aquila wound low Gs - too boomy. Worth low G sets with the plain G string work best on my uke. Better balance and more consistent tone across all strings. :)

I tried Worth Browns with the plain low g about 8 months ago and decided that it felt kind of loose or lower tensioned compared to the other strings. I still have the other half of the set, so maybe I'll try it again. Thanks for reminding me!

devilishlypure
12-14-2009, 05:43 AM
I like the idea of low G, but in practice I don't really like the way the sound has turned out. It's mostly a string issue though, I think.

My tenor uke is strung low G. I'm having trouble figuring out which strings to use for it, since I didn't want to try a wound G string. I ended up using a Worth brown string (unwound) for the low G, and left all the rest of the Aquilas on the other strings. I don't really like the way it sounds, unfortunately. I'm trying to decide what to do next... whether I should switch all of the strings to Worth browns or get a wound low G to go with the Aquilas.

All of my other ukes are high G, so I want to keep giving low G a try on my tenor. Maybe I'll eventually pick a string combination that I like. :)

rpeters
12-14-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm going to be doing low G soon when I get my tenor. I'll be working on some Rodrigo y Gabriela songs this winter break, and so I need the lower notes to hit some notes.

MartinLil
12-14-2009, 06:48 AM
High G for sure! :D it just sounds better to me. I bet low G would be better for some of the spanish/classical pieces I play though. Maybe I need another uke for low G tuning. Hm.....

ukecantdothat
12-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Someday I will go both ways, myself, but for now I'm having way too much fun getting high with my G's. I love the "inside out" kinds of rolls you just can't get with low G. I also like doing split string harmonies, jumping from G/E to C/A combos, with everything right there in close proximity, if that makes any sense (the intro to "Brown Eyed Girl" comes to mind, as an example).

The times when I miss the low notes are when I'm doing bluesy solos. If I can ever get it together, I've got a cigar box project waiting to happen. As soon as that is a reality, I'm going to try low G on it. I've got all the parts, it's just a matter of getting over to my luthier friend for some tools that I don't have and some help with the bracing. But since I'm a single uke guy right now, I'm gonna stay high!:shaka:

seeso
12-14-2009, 07:24 AM
I like the idea of low G, but in practice I don't really like the way the sound has turned out. It's mostly a string issue though, I think.

My tenor uke is strung low G. I'm having trouble figuring out which strings to use for it, since I didn't want to try a wound G string. I ended up using a Worth brown string (unwound) for the low G, and left all the rest of the Aquilas on the other strings. I don't really like the way it sounds, unfortunately. I'm trying to decide what to do next... whether I should switch all of the strings to Worth browns or get a wound low G to go with the Aquilas.

All of my other ukes are high G, so I want to keep giving low G a try on my tenor. Maybe I'll eventually pick a string combination that I like. :)

Lauren, you're talking about your Kala, right? If you like the sound of Aquilas, I would buy a separate low G. I've tried the Aquila wound low G, and I didn't like it at all. I kept having to change it, as they kept breaking on me after only a few days.

I'd suggest buying a classical guitar D string. That's what I do now, and I'm much happier with the results.

ukecantdothat
12-14-2009, 07:32 AM
... I'm having trouble figuring out which strings to use for it, since I didn't want to try a wound G string. I ended up using a Worth brown string (unwound) for the low G, and left all the rest of the Aquilas on the other strings. I don't really like the way it sounds, unfortunately. I'm trying to decide what to do next... whether I should switch all of the strings to Worth browns or get a wound low G to go with the Aquilas.
:)So Aquila doesn't offer an unwound low G? Is there an equivalent gauge nylgut guitar string that can be cut for concert scale?

wickedwahine11
12-14-2009, 07:39 AM

:agree:

I have one tenor (my Kamaka) strung High G, and one tenor (my Kanile'a) strung low g. No matter how often I try to play low g, that g string (and it isn't wound, it is a Worth) still overpowers everything else and sounds really boomy to me. I can certainly see the value of low g, and I know it is extremely popular, but I play my high g ukulele 99.99999% of the time because I just like the high g better. I like the sound, more bell like, and it is also the traditional uke sound to me.

Plus, if it is good enough for Jake...

"Shimabukuro plays a Kamaka tenor in a standard C6 tuning, although his use of the familiar "my dog has fleas" tuning runs contrary to the way most tenor players tune. Shimabukuro prefers the high G on the top, like a soprano, "Because it keeps that traditional, unique sound. And because I have that high G, I'm able to create voicings you wouldn't be able to get on other stringed instruments because you have that high string on top." - courtesy of http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/?t=pressdetails&aid=267

PoisonDart
12-14-2009, 08:39 AM
usually High G, but some songs really do not respond well to close harmony chord voicings. Then I get out the baritone.

devilishlypure
12-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Lauren, you're talking about your Kala, right? If you like the sound of Aquilas, I would buy a separate low G. I've tried the Aquila wound low G, and I didn't like it at all. I kept having to change it, as they kept breaking on me after only a few days.

I'd suggest buying a classical guitar D string. That's what I do now, and I'm much happier with the results.

Yes, my Kala lacewood tenor. That's awesome... I didn't think to use classical guitar strings. I'll order one and check out how that sounds! Thanks for the advice!

UkuleleHill
12-14-2009, 10:11 AM
I think both have their place. I like g traditionally... But there are songs that sound better with G...

kenikas
12-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I currently have my tenor set up high G and my grandkids sopranos are also high G, but I just got a set of low G Aquilas for my Hilo baritone but haven't had time to try them out (I really hope they improve the sound of it). I'm hoping to get a concert for Christmas/birthday and will probably leave it high G and set up the tenor low G.

ahreeka
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
One of my two concerts is high g, the other i tried low g but wasn't really workin for me so both are now high g. My tenor is low g mostly played at dgbe. when i want the uke sound i play my concerts. for a more guitar feel, i pick up the tenor.

only arnold schwarzenegger can play his soprano at dgbe. :D

GreyPoupon
12-15-2009, 07:40 AM
High or Low G?

Is this forum about ukuleles or about under nourished guitars with two missing strings?

ukecantdothat
12-15-2009, 08:00 AM
High or Low G?

Is this forum about ukuleles or about under nourished guitars with two missing strings?It's about ALL ukuleles - low strung, high strung, wood, plastic, plucked, strummed, owned or bummed! That's what is wonderful about being "Underground." Everything is open to discussion here. Everything.

A uke is still a uke, no matter how it's tuned. Whatever floats your boat!
:nana:

sukie
12-15-2009, 08:04 AM
It's about ALL ukuleles - low strung, high strung, wood, plastic, plucked, strummed, owned or bummed! That's what is wonderful about being "Underground." Everything is open to discussion here. Everything.

A uke is still a uke, no matter how it's tuned. Whatever floats your boat!
:nana:

+1. I'd rep you, but I'm not allowed.

ukecantdothat
12-15-2009, 08:32 AM
+1. I'd rep you, but I'm not allowed.
Wow, thanks Sukie! That's one...

BTW, I don't mean to come down on GP. He always has valid points to share, but there are a lot of us subversives in the Underground who do all kinds of interesting things besides reentrant strumming of folk songs on traditional sopranos (not that there's anything wrong with that...:D). As a matter of fact, I can't wait to get that cigar box project started so I can do a slack key slide bit on it with steel strings! That's right. Steel strings! I'm planning to cover Steely Dan's "Show Biz Kids" with it. It's about the only Steely Dan song I can play. Here are the chords: Dm / Em.

I'm learning SO much from the UU ohana and am grateful for the diversity. Maybe there should be a separate section here called "Trad Talk" for those who don't want to go too far into the depths of modern uking.

Ahnko Honu
12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Main thing you "G" any way you can. ;)

ukecantdothat
12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I only own 1 uke right now. I low G. I like being able to get the low notes.Looks to me like we both need new ukes, so's you can get all high up in that, G, and I can get loooooooooow...

I'm feelin' the UAS, y'all...

:iwant::iwant::iwant::drool:

haole
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Both! I prefer high G because it's less guitar-like, but I have a low G on my Harmony soprano and my KoAloha tenor. I'll switch the tenor to high G once KoAloha releases their own strings!

The fluorocarbon low G strings feel a little slack when they're in tune, but I still prefer them to the Aquila wound G's (which seem to fall apart quickly).

kalbears13
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I like whichever one my uke isn't currently in.

Poke
12-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Awesome. I love to play my uke,guitar & bass. I would love to have a custom 5 string uke with a low D. :D With Wider string spacing for my fat fingers.

GreyPoupon
12-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Wow, thanks Sukie! That's one...

BTW, I don't mean to come down on GP.

Feel free to consider me the conservative wing of the UU. Someone has to stand for Mom, Apple Pie, the American Flag, and good old fashioned re-entrant stringing on a standard ukulele.

But please do feel free to attack me with vigor. Conversations in which we all agree with each other all the time are quite boring.

countrybumpkin
12-16-2009, 05:50 AM
I've been learning to play for the past few months in high G tuning. I would like to have some more range in picking eventually, but for consistency in learning will wait to play in low G.

Just having fun, in any case.

ukecantdothat
12-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Feel free to consider me the conservative wing of the UU. Someone has to stand for Mom, Apple Pie, the American Flag, and good old fashioned re-entrant stringing on a standard ukulele.

But please do feel free to attack me with vigor. Conversations in which we all agree with each other all the time are quite boring.As far I can figure, UU is not divided by wings, conservative or otherwise. A simple thread asking what tuning options are preferred ought not turn into a debate over which is better. I understand there is some sarcasm there, but nobody, particularly me, said anything that should prompt one to equate a particular musical instrument to the flag of one country over another (and I will thank you, sir, to leave my mother out of it).

I have no interest in "attacking" anyone either. If that's what your aim is, to stir up "debate" by insulting members who have the gall to drop tune a string on a uke, or to even (gasp) choose a tenor over a soprano, then I'm the one who is confused. And I never said anything negative about re-entrant tuning. That happens to be the way I tune myself, if you read my post. Conversations about the many facets and cultures of the ukulele aren't arguments, they are discussions. You apparently find that boring. I find the one uke size/one tuning/one style of song boring.

That's about as "vigorous" of an "attack" as I can muster... You're not going to find too many members here saying, "Yes! Only high G American folk songs! No finger picking! No reggae! No pop! No soca! No calypso! No classical! No flamenco! No blues!!! No Beatles! (:eek:)" and on and on...

When you said you were "confused" and called a low G uke "an under nourished guitar with two strings missing" I thought, "Wow... Musical intolerance on UU? What's up with that?" Then I thought of a line from one of my favorite songs:

"Well I used to be disgusted / Now I try to be amused":rolleyes:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a new song to convert to uke "Red Shoes" by fellow uke-slinger Elvis Costello (I'll be using re-entrant tuning on a gloss mahogany concert... might need a capo...).

In the meantime, I invite you to groove on this dude strumming a re-entrant uke with two of his closest mates. A word of warning to you - he's an Englishman and he's playing an old pop standard on what may be a concert uke, with a resonator below, ready for action when the mood strikes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k-OE0-fWs

CountryMouse
12-16-2009, 06:54 AM
I have two sopranos that are re-entrant tuning. I was given a wonderful soprano cigar box ukulele that is low-G tuning. The CBU is good for certain songs; the others are good for others.

I'd say having various options is a Good Thing. :)

CountryMouse

Link
12-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Both! If I had to choose, low G. Luckily I don't have to choose :)

GreyPoupon
12-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I have no interest in "attacking" anyone either. If that's what your aim is, to stir up "debate" by insulting members who have the gall to drop tune a string on a uke, or to even (gasp) choose a tenor over a soprano, then I'm the one who is confused.

Oy! If that was the spirit in which my comments were taken, then please accept my apologies. I'm just having fun. I thought the absurdity of actually having real disdain for low g was painfully obvious to everyone.

Rzr
12-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I like low-g, but I also like high-g.:)

ukecantdothat
12-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Oy! If that was the spirit in which my comments were taken, then please accept my apologies. I'm just having fun. I thought the absurdity of actually having real disdain for low g was painfully obvious to everyone.I said I detected the sarcasm, and if it was only that comment I would have let it slide, but in light of some of your other comments (example: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22434 ) I could see there is some seriousness in there that can't be overlooked. Anyone who has been reading my posts can tell you I am not a humorless person. Earlier may have been the time to explain the low G thing, but then invitation to "attack you with vigor" led me to think there was more to this sidebar than you are willing to now admit. Sounds like a little back-pedaling, but that's cool.

Having said that, I do accept your sincere apology. Again, I'm not coming down on you. I do like your posts. I just get sensitive sometimes because, in all of my years playing music, on a variety of instruments, I've grown weary of musical snobbery. Some of these buzz-kills wouldn't know a good time if it punched 'em in the face. My very first thread I posted here was about a well-meaning gentleman, at a gig, who felt the need to point out to me that the uke and steel drum combo I was playing with was musically incongruous - the uke being primarily linked with Hawaiian culture and the steel drum being Caribbean. To us it sounds... ummm... bitchen. I am trying to be less sensitive.;)

We are all here to have fun with the ukulele in ALL of its forms.
:nana::nana::nana: