Grades on Ukulele!

pulelehua

Reaction score
The Victoria College of Music has just started offering grades in the UK for Ukulele! It currently goes up to Grade 5, and the first exam (grade 3) is happening this week in Ealing.

I'm hoping to get involved in this, as I've been writing some Ukulele etudes. And as a Music teacher, I obviously want to see my students get some well-deserved recognition.

Just wanted to share the good news for those of us wanting to see the ukulele taken seriously.

:shaka:

The Victoria College of Music has just started offering grades in the UK for Ukulele! It currently goes up to Grade 5, and the first exam (grade 3) is happening this week in Ealing.

I'm hoping to get involved in this, as I've been writing some Ukulele etudes. And as a Music teacher, I obviously want to see my students get some well-deserved recognition.

Just wanted to share the good news for those of us wanting to see the ukulele taken seriously.

Very cool...
I'd love to see some example course material or syllabi – great news.

This is the guy that set up the course:

http://www.youtube.com/user/colinrtribe

He does some really impressive stuff, including Hotel California which I like a lot.

This is the guy that set up the course:

http://www.youtube.com/user/colinrtribe

He does some really impressive stuff, including Hotel California which I like a lot.

Good playing by this guy.

But just 2 out of 5 points for tuning his instrument, I hope he does not teach tuning to his students too... Nearly all of his videos (out of the 10 or so I checked) are close to impossible to listen to, at least for my ears. And that is really a shame since his playing actually is really good.

Last edited:
Very cool idea, and will probably encourage more kids to start playing. I'd like to look at the books when they are published.

Good playing by this guy.

But just 2 out of 5 points for tuning his instrument, I hope he does not teach tuning to his students too... Nearly all of his videos (out of the 10 or so I checked) are close to impossible to listen to, at least for my ears. And that is really a shame since his playing actually is really good.

Yeah I had hoped he would upgrade his uke, it doesn't live up to his ability. He happily sends out tabs and sheet music for free for his work so I can't fault him though.

Top Bottom