Song Idea for PTA presentation with PUPS

haolejohn

Reaction score
Some of you know that I am a teacher and that I run an ukulele club at my school. My club is open to 3rd-5th graders and our PTA contacted me about doing a performance in May. I said yes before I even thought about what it will take to do this. I currently have 36 students in the club and we have already learned 5 songs. I am thinking about doing an ukulele across time with a set of songs from different decades. I figure we could do a 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000 song. I know that I would like to do Knocking on heavens door for one song since it is fairly easy. We will do either *gasp* I'm Yours or Umbrella for the new song (I have only heard I'm Yours a few times, seriously.) Anyone have any suggestions from these decades? I want to keep the songs appropiate for children and fairly simple (G, C, D, Am, F, G7) type songs. Max of 6 songs. If need be I can delete cetain decades.

I would suggest "Stand By Me" or "Surfin' USA" from the sixties. Both very easy, and "Surfin' USA" is awful, awful cute when the kids don a pair of cheap sunglasses. My son's school did it that way (sans uke) and it was quite the highlight of last years winter show!

Shoot a video!

I would suggest "Stand By Me" or "Surfin' USA" from the sixties. Both very easy, and "Surfin' USA" is awful, awful cute when the kids don a pair of cheap sunglasses. My son's school did it that way (sans uke) and it was quite the highlight of last years winter show!

Shoot a video!

I actually filmed one of my boys performing an original on my Blackberry. I'll get it up

Suggestions

Sloop John B. is a great song and easy to play.

Puff the Magic Dragon

------------
Maybe you should start with music of the 20's and 30's as that was when the ukulele was in style... Maybe Five foot Two or Ukulele Lady

Are you doing 5 songs from each decade or only 1 song representative of the decade?

Sloop John B. is a great song and easy to play.

Puff the Magic Dragon

------------
Maybe you should start with music of the 20's and 30's as that was when the ukulele was in style... Maybe Five foot Two or Ukulele Lady

Are you doing 5 songs from each decade or only 1 song representative of the decade?

1 song from each decade. I thought about going back to 20s or 30s but we are tlking about 8-10 year olds. Their song selection seems to be in the 60s and on. They do know some traditional songs but I don't want to put too much on their plate.

Top Bottom