Song Help Request E chord

Lugnut

Reaction score
Any one else have troubles with it? I really just try to avoid songs that have an E chord, but it'd be nice to play songs with it. Any one have any tips?

Edit:

Oops I didn't relies there was a tricks and tips section probablly would be more appropriate there.:eek:

Last edited:
best thing you can do? keep on working with it, things like that you cant rush or avoid.

Yea.. I didn't like playing E either. E7 is so much easier. I suppose you could play an open E string, but then you're doubling the E and the B, so it sounds sort of empty and really awful if one of your strings is slightly out of tune.

how are you playing it now?

I use my index finger for the A string 2nd fret, middle on the E string 4th fret, ring on the C string 4th fret, and thumb on the G string 4th fret. (I use this one the most just because I like using my thumb haha)

sometimes I barre the 2nd fret and use my ring finger to cover the G-C-E strings on the 4th fret. I do this when I have to switch from an E to another barred chord.

and then the traditional way of index on A string 2nd fret, ring on E, middle on C, pinky on G all on the 4th fret.

I dont know if that helps any. haha

I think the best way to do it is to play/practice songs with the E chord. As Guting said, keep working with it and it'll be as natural as any other chord. Just take your time, you'll get it.

I have trouble with that shape too -- I usually play it 4447 (barre the 4th fret with index finger and drop pinky on 7th fret a-string) and it sounds the same with most songs.

how are you playing it now?

I use my index finger for the A string 2nd fret, middle on the E string 4th fret, ring on the C string 4th fret, and thumb on the G string 4th fret. (I use this one the most just because I like using my thumb haha)

sometimes I barre the 2nd fret and use my ring finger to cover the G-C-E strings on the 4th fret. I do this when I have to switch from an E to another barred chord.

and then the traditional way of index on A string 2nd fret, ring on E, middle on C, pinky on G all on the 4th fret.

I dont know if that helps any. haha

Wow, I can't figure out how you use your thumb on the G string...

I usually use my index finger for the A string 2nd fret (sometimes I'll bar this), pinky on the E string 4th fret, ring on the C string 4th fret, and middle finger on the G string 4th fret. Or I'll bar the 4th fret like NotoriousMOK.

Yeah, I definitely reckon 4447 is the best way to go. You could also try 9877 or 13 11 12 11. 4442 is the traditional way to play it.
good luck!

didnt aldrine do a different version of the E chord on the new "Wonderful Tonight" video?

bar second fret, second string-3 fret, third string-4 fret?

i think thats how it goes.....

or is that the variation for Em?

meaergh!

Yea, the E chord used to kill me when I was starting out. Sometimes you can get away with an E7 in place of an E and it'll sound alright (if not better). Most of the time I would just transpose the song.

The 4447 alternate fingering idea works and I'd say use it, but at the same time work on getting comfortable with the 4442. Learning that chord shape will only help in the future. It's difficult, but with practice you'll get it.

I'd just try all the different fingering options that people have thrown out in the thread so far and find something that's comfortable and easy for you to move into.

And just to throw this out there, the way I hold it is:
  • pointer finger on the A string, 2nd fret
  • middle finger barring the G & C strings, 4th fret
  • ring finger on the E string, 4th fret

Top Bottom