Mainland Concert and Tenors

iDavid

Reaction score
For those of you who have had the pleasure of playing both the concert and tenor ukes; how do they compare

do you notice much difference when going from one to the other?

david

I find it takes me a little adjustment when changing sizes. I usually play more than one size during a practice session. I have been playing about 10 months, and I would say it takes me about one half of a song to adjust to the different scales. I assume that eventually, if I jump around enough, the transition will be faster. And if I throw in the guitar or banjo, that takes me a full song to adjust. I haven't been playing them nearly as often.

I find that the tenor scale seems to be more forgiving for my left hand fingering technique. Intonation can be affected a lot by how you place the finger behind the fret. So, slightly bending the note out of tune seems to be more of an issue for me when I play a concert or soprano size.

The concert scale allows you to reach more notes without stretching your hand as much. It is a very comfortable scale for me to play on, and it can handle the low G tuning if desired. Concert scale also gives more of a Ukulele tone.

The tenor scale gives a deeper, more guitar-like sound. If you really like having rich low G notes, than the tenor scale will help that.

Some people say the tenor tends to be louder. But I think the construction of the instrument has more effect on the volume than it's size. When I bought my super concert (tenor neck on concert body), it sounded much better and louder than some of the tenors I tested.

I have a Mainland soprano and a Mainland concert. No tenor Mainland, but I hope that helps.

–Lori

Last edited:
David, BTW I think Mainlands are REALLY GOOD!! I ahve played both the concert and a tenor and i won both sizes. I notice that my tenors have a little more volume than my concerts when I compare the same company. The scale takes a little time to adjust but it isn't that long of a time and since I started playing both sizes.

Actually Mainlands are one of the best. They are better than good:)

David, BTW I think Mainlands are REALLY GOOD!! I ahve played both the concert and a tenor and i won both sizes. I notice that my tenors have a little more volume than my concerts when I compare the same company. The scale takes a little time to adjust but it isn't that long of a time and since I started playing both sizes.

Actually Mainlands are one of the best. They are better than good:)

as good as a Mele?

Concert vs. Tenor

I prefer the concert neck size & fingering of the Concert uke due to my short fingers. I do prefer the Tenor sound though.
The perfect solution for me would be to have a Tenor Uke body with a Concert Neck. I'm not even sure if such a uke exists.

as good as a Mele?

IMO no but that is because Meles are hand made. Every Mainland I have played has been great. Now remember I learned my first chords in the Mele store on Maui and my 2nd uke was a Mele. I want to get a Mele mahaghany and a mainland next to each other. The sound would be too close for my ears to distinguish. So the handmade aspect gets my nod. The only reason i ahven't gotten a mainland yet is b/c I know that a Mele is about the same price. Loyalties you know. But my next two uke purchaces will be a mainland soprano or concert and a Mele concert.

Top Bottom