Unlurking (is that a word?)

paraclete

Reaction score
Hello

I've been lurking for a few months, mostly watching the marketplace for a Kamaka tenor. But it's time to come out of hiding.

My partner and I have a little duo we call Paraclete. We play a mashup of guitar, ukulele, and fiddle... me being the fiddle player, although sometimes I play guitar or uke too. Our style is "comfort music".... everything from old standards to folk, swing, jazz, popular, Beatles to Sinatra.

Anyway, my partner has a Kala tenor archtop jazz uke (the one with the F holes). He had a Cordoba koa, but it was so quiet and unimpressive, so he sold it. I've been looking for awhile to get him a really nice uke. He had his heart set on a Hawaiian-made koa... was thinking Kamaka, though we struggled to find anything at all. There are a lot of concerts and sopranos out there, or 6 or 8 strings.

Yesterday we finally managed to buy a Halekoa 4-string tenor. Hopefully it will arrive soon. MGM has some sample clips on Youtube, and we were really impressed by the sound.

I've just started learning to play the uke... started messing around on his during rehearsal breaks. I'm totally addicted now. Hoping to spend a lot more time on the forum, getting to know you all and learning more about playing the uke. :)

Welcome to UU. As you can tell, the music choices here is quite adverse. There are several stores in Washington and Oregon and you can check this listing regarding details. You won't go wrong using MGM or any of the other vendors often mentioned.

What part of the Pacific NW? No matter - welcome to UU!

Welcome, paraclete. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you, too! :shaka:

If you are close to Seattle, I think Dusty Strings carries Kamaka ukes. Welcome to the forum!

If you are close to Seattle, I think Dusty Strings carries Kamaka ukes. Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you're right. They are a dealer, but they didn't have any tenors when I was looking. And the times that something came up for sale on Craigslist or ebay, I've not had the cash on hand. I'm actually about 80 miles north of Seattle, in Bellingham. I don't get to Seattle very often.

However, the Halekoa is supposed to get here today or tomorrow, and I am totally excited. I will definitely post a review... I didn't see any reviews of that make. The guy who makes them lives in Hawaii and makes only about 6 per year. I think Mike from MGM has a couple on ebay.

Bellingham Ukers

I thought I read about a group in Bellingham. Do a search on UU.

Uncle Rod Here from Seattle, SUPA (seattleukulele.org). Please come and join us sometime. I believe "thejumpingflea" (Mukilteo) will be doing a workshop sometime next year, so all you Western Washington UUers, start making your plans now.

Paraclete, you sound pretty accomplished already, however, here's a gift from me to you. If it's too simple, please feel free to pass it along.

http://www.4shared.com/file/123858410/4f4615dc/Free_Songbook_Master.html

Welcome to UU!:)

Top Bottom