jumped in!!!

bufbills

Reaction score
ok i just ordered my first ukulele!! Kala ka-tg. im a long time guitar player looking for a change. a less exspensive equally fulfilling change! ive wanted one ever since i saw 50 first dates and heard iz sing and play Somewhere over the rainbow. im excited about this!

Congrats!!! :) You will love playing the uke. It's easy, fun and very portable. But let me be the first to warn you about the dreaded disease UAS :eek: If you are not careful you will catch it!!! ;)

Congrats!!! :) You will love playing the uke. It's easy, fun and very portable. But let me be the first to warn you about the dreaded disease UAS :eek: If you are not careful you will catch it!!! ;)

Okay, I'll bite: UAS: Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome?

my Kala comes in the morning!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait! i ordered it from compass music and i hope he does a good setup.

another question from a beginner

much like the op, I am a complete ukulele beginner. I just got a Kala KA-S to start, and I love it! The problem is, I originally bought it for my daughter (3 y.o.), or at least for her to grow into it. I got her a pink Mahalo for christmas (she hasn't opened it yet) so she is playing the KA-S in the meantime. I want to learn how to play the uke with her. The problem is (as you probably predicted) my daughter is already is hooked, so she won't let me play the uke, and now I want one for myself. yikes!

After doing some research on what ukuleles are out there, I've come to the realizations that I cannot justify buying a kamaka or a kanilea: I am not a professional musician, nor do I possess the talent or skills to consider myself good enough to have one of these (at least not yet, hopefully). But, I plan to invest in a nice solid koa uke by next christmas, and I am eyeing a Honu or a Pono tenor. In the meantime, I was thinking of getting either the concert or tenor version of the Kala KA series (and to match the KA-S). The Soprano is a bit difficult for my fingers, but it is playable. My quandary is whether I should get the ukulele that I want now, or just get the KA-T/KA-C in the meantime.

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

If you can afford it, get the one you want. i waited until i was 41 to get my first les paul and after 25 years of playing guitar i have never payed as much as i do now. For me great equipment produces superior results.

great suggestion. the problem is i don't have the money now, but i am saving up for it. i can probably get it in 3-4 months, so it is either sharing with my daughter or just getting another one now (i've considered the ka-t). dilemmas...

so did you get your uke today? how do you like the kala? i was admiring the glossy, and just wondering if it sounds different.

i got it about two hours ago. i have nothing to compare it to but i think it sounds really nice. action is good and no fret buzz. im already playing "somewhere over the rainbow". great looking with a nice gloss finish. ill post some pics later. im glad i didnt go any cheaper than i did. $104 with bag , tuner , and polish!

i got it about two hours ago. i have nothing to compare it to but i think it sounds really nice. action is good and no fret buzz. im already playing "somewhere over the rainbow". great looking with a nice gloss finish. ill post some pics later. im glad i didnt go any cheaper than i did. $104 with bag , tuner , and polish!

That's a great deal! Do you mind if I ask you where you got your uke? I am looking at >$130 for a KA-T (not even a KA-TG) with a gig bag and pipe tuner. Also, did yours come with the Aquila Nylgut strings?

Thanks
-Lon

Congratulations and welcome!

Fir me there was no looking back- the guitar sits unplayed most of the time now. I only wish I had gone uke earlier!

As for the other poster- take a look at MusicGuyMic's store on ebay. He is MGM on this forum and a great resource. I recently bought one of the Kala solid acacia tenors from him and it came beautifully set up, nice strings, etc. He has ukes in just about ever price range imaginable.

As the parent of a 7 year old, do whatever it takes to play with your child, you can always get a nicer instrument later, but you can't rewind time.

Mgm

I've purchased 4 Makala Dolphins--inexpensive but very playable ukes--from MGM. The first (a pink one) was mine; the other three are for my (grown) children. You get get a dolphin delivered to your door for $50.

And Mike at MGM gave me great service. I will be back for more.

Good luck

Congratulations and welcome!

Fir me there was no looking back- the guitar sits unplayed most of the time now. I only wish I had gone uke earlier!

As for the other poster- take a look at MusicGuyMic's store on ebay. He is MGM on this forum and a great resource. I recently bought one of the Kala solid acacia tenors from him and it came beautifully set up, nice strings, etc. He has ukes in just about ever price range imaginable.

As the parent of a 7 year old, do whatever it takes to play with your child, you can always get a nicer instrument later, but you can't rewind time.

thank you for the kind encouragement. my daughter and i are working on a duet... "anyone else but you" by the moldy peaches. easy enough, she works the C on the uke and i work the Gm7 on the guitar. so much fun, and mommy gets a kick out of our little duo band. The other song on our repertoire is "Somewhere over the rainbow" which I play on the uke and she sings. The problem is, now I am totally appreciating the uke, and i want one too (oh no!). I've looked at mgm's inventory, and i spent hours just checking out everything.

Top Bottom