Mainland - matte or gloss?

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I'd really like to get a Mainland Concert mahogany but I'm not sure if I want matte or gloss. I've never seen one in person. What looks best, gloss or matte ?

Here's a pic of my Mainland brood, with the matte soprano 3rd from the left. I think it looks great.
3999788148_aca91d4286_b.jpg

Well, the important decision is out of the way (Mainland!!); gloss or matte is just details. I've played both, have gloss, like both. His gloss finish holds up rather well, if that is worrying you.

I think it's comparable to a matte or gloss photograph.

My personal observations:
Gloss finishes will look a little wet all the time (like you just polished them) but they also show fingerprints rather easily.

Matte don't have as much shine, but at the same time I think it gives them a more antique, classic look.

~Valerie

I think it's comparable to a matte or gloss photograph.

My personal observations:
Gloss finishes will look a little wet all the time (like you just polished them) but they also show fingerprints rather easily.

Matte don't have as much shine, but at the same time I think it gives them a more antique, classic look.

~Valerie

I think this is an apt description of both.

Both of mine are matte. Sometimes I wish I had gloss for my concert but I really LOVE the look and the smoothness of the matte, so no, I wouldn't change it. Matte is sweet. Gloss is pretty, but I think I like matte more.

Here's a pic of my Mainland brood, with the matte soprano 3rd from the left. I think it looks great.
3999788148_aca91d4286_b.jpg

Alan, could you give us the rundown on what those are, left to right? I can identify the cedar, but I don't know what the ones on the far left and right are.

Thanks!

Alan, could you give us the rundown on what those are, left to right? I can identify the cedar, but I don't know what the ones on the far left and right are.

Thanks!

I'll take a stab at it

Mango Concert, Cedar Concert, Mahogany Soprano, Cedar Tenor

Not to hijack this thread or anything but does anyone have the mainland cut away mahogany tenor? I would love to see a picture of one....I think that's what I am going to try & get after I get my xmas shopping done!

Not to hijack this thread or anything but does anyone have the mainland cut away mahogany tenor? I would love to see a picture of one....I think that's what I am going to try & get after I get my xmas shopping done!

Just call it a wild guess, but I'm betting it looks an awful lot like a tenor cutaway Jenny but with rope binding, by which I mean "better."

Thanks!

Here's a funny question: do the cedar ukes smell like cedar? One of my family members is very sensitive to cedar - it irritates her lungs and affects her breathing, so if the cedar uke (which is currently on my wishlist) has a strong scent I'll need to choose another wood.

Thanks!

Here's a funny question: do the cedar ukes smell like cedar? One of my family members is very sensitive to cedar - it irritates her lungs and affects her breathing, so if the cedar uke (which is currently on my wishlist) has a strong scent I'll need to choose another wood.

I'll sniff my ukes when I get home from work and let you know.

Never thought I'd ever say that!

I'll sniff my ukes when I get home from work and let you know.

Never thought I'd ever say that!

Oh, admit it: you're a uke-sniffer from way back. I can see it in your eyes.

It's time to come clean - and remember, the first step is admitting you have a problem. :D

Top Bottom