History Of the Ukulele

Poke

Reaction score
I have been told that The Ukulele was from Portugal. If that's the case where did they get the uke from? Did they invent it? I wonder how the ukes of old were played. I wonder if it was more of a flamenco style of playing? :confused:
pokeukesig.jpg

Last edited:
From what I gather the ancestor of the guitar and braguinha was introduced into the Iberian peninsula (Spain & Portugal) by the invading Moors from North Africa in the 8th century and subsequent occupation into the 15th century before being pushed back into Africa. Then this ancestor of the 'ukulele made it's way from the Portugal to the Azore Islands where the vast majority of the immigrants arriving to Hawaii in the 19th century of Portuguese decent originate from.

Here's an article written by Dan Scanlan . . . and here's a ukulele timeline starting in 1879 and really doesn't answer who introduced it to the Portuguese. Ahnko Honu has provided some insight and info prior to is somewhat limited.

Here's an article written by Dan Scanlan . . . and here's a ukulele timeline starting in 1879 and really doesn't answer who introduced it to the Portuguese. Ahnko Honu has provided some insight and info prior to is somewhat limited.

Which might be because history is written by the victors.

Top Bottom