Makapili Concert Pineapple in Europe

thomas

Reaction score
For sale is a Makapili Concert Pineapple.

Makapili Ukuleles are 100% handmade by me in my workshop in Italy.

My emphasis is on making a wonderful sounding instrument.

This one is made from 100% environmentally friendly woods.

It is made of:

Acacia Confusa: Top, Back, sides, head plate veneer (urban tree removal)

Indian Rosewood: fretboard and bridge...17 frets total and 14 to the body (recycled bass fretboard)

THIS UKULELE HAS A RADIUSED FRETBOARD

Neck: Spanish Cedar (Spanish style neck) (FSC certified)

Tuners: Grover open geared tuners

Strings: Savarez Alliance

This is another instrument that I built for myself, but after my recent trip to visit family in America I need money more than I need 7 ukuleles so I must sell this one.

It has been played, and has some very very minor strum marks, and a very small scratch on the headstock. Otherwise it is in perfect shape.

Here is a sound file, please excuse my shabby playing:

http://www.box.net/shared/0c33g54d23

The price is Sold, this price includes shipping within Europe and a semi hard case.

I hope this one finds a good home. I sure will miss it.

Take care,
Thomas

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 80
  • with-case.jpg
    with-case.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 74
  • with-uu-sign.jpg
    with-uu-sign.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 70
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 63
  • sbd-flash.jpg
    sbd-flash.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hello, Im just wondering what the 2nd sound hole is for? Is that on all pineapple ukuleles or is that your own design? Im only asking because i dont know. Sid G

Hi Sid,

The side sound port is somewhat unique. There are other builders that put them in their ukuleles, but they are not all that common. I put them in all of my tenors and concert sized ukuleles.

My experience is that they add volume to the player and to the listener. The side port also increases sustain and makes the higher notes particularly clear on my instruments.

Take care,
Thomas

:iwant::drool:
You make incredible ukes Thomas, im really lusting over side sound ports at the moment, seem so sensible! Good luck with the sale but this is way out of my league (which of course is a great shame!)

I have one of Thomas' concert pineapple ukes and highly recommend it and Thomas. (I will try to get a review out tomorrow.) :D

The side port is really nice, to hear the sound better as you play. I really enjoy mine. If you are looking for a great concert uke, this is it.

wow this is beautiful ! i wish i had money ! how much is that in us money anyway ?

Hi Nic,
Extremely reasonable with a case and shipping included to Europe.

Take care,
Thomas

Last edited:
I guess I will reduce the price to Sold Euros.

Merry Christmas,
Thomas

Last edited:
This is such a nice uke. I wish I was visiting Italy, so I could try it out in person. It combines many things I am looking for in my next ukulele... the side sound hole port, concert size, pineapple shape, simple design. Very nice! How wide is the neck at the nut? Any other dimensions on the neck might give me an idea of how it feels while playing.

Merry Christmas

–Lori

some dimensions

If it is built like my Makapili pineapple:

-Neck width at nut is 1.35"

-Body dimensions
main length w/o heel 11.06"
widest width 7.5 " (body fits a tenor case well)
depth 2.75"

-nut to body is 15 frets (8.38")

-overall length is 24"

-very light

Great uke.

It's basic shape is probably similar to a Mele concert pineapple.

Last edited:
Hi Lori,

Here are some dimensions of the neckon thisw ukulele. My dimensions are in millimeters because my calipers dont read inches, sorry.

Nut width: 35mm

width at 12th fret: 45mm

thickness at 1st fret: 15mm

thickness at 7th fret: 18mm

thickness at 10th fret: 20mm

I shape my necks to have a nice smooth C shape, ant to feel real comfortable in the C between an index finger and a thumb.

Scale length is 15.000 inches, and the neck joins the body at the 14th fret.

If there are any other dimensions or questions you have feel free to ask.

Take care,
Thomas

PS... Thanks for the dimensions on your ukulele Doc.

I will reduce the price to Sold, including shipping within Europe. But the case is NOT Included at this price.

Take care,
THomas

Last edited:
Thomas, you keep tempting me! Such a good deal!
What is the overall length of this ukulele?
What kind of finish does it have?
Can you show any close up photos of the minor flaws, or are they too hard to see in photographs?

How much would shipping to Los Angeles, California U.S.A. (postal zip code 90049) be?
–Lori

Last edited:
I must say Thomas that in my opinion your pineapple 'ukulele has one of the most eye pleasing shapes of all pineapple 'ukuleles. I also like the use of Acacia Confusa which here in Hawai'i we call "Pake (pah-keh) Koa" very comparable to the endemic Koa. Hinoki top is nice too. One day I'll own one of your pineapple 'ukuleles, my "quiver" would not be complete without one.

Thanks for the nice words Uncle, it means a lot coming from the pineapple man himself. I agree that Acacia Confusa makes a fine ukulele. And the Hinoki that I have used in some other instruments is truly special, but rare. I dont have many of those tops.

Hi Lori,

The overall length of the ukulele is 23 7/8 inches.

It has a hand rubbed oil finish.

The scratches on the body are so small. They are smaller than hairs, and less than half an inch long. The scratch on the headstock is about half an inch long and maybe the thickness of a fingernail. I dont think any of them would show up in a picture. The ones on the body I have to hold the ukulele at the right light and then can barely see them, but I know they are there and wouldnt feel right selling the instrument and not mentioning it. The one on the headstock is a little more visible.

Shipping to LA??? It cost me 32.88 Euros to ship within Europe, so I would just charge you the difference. I wouldnt imagine it would be more than 20 Euros extra, but I will go to the post office tomorrow and ask if you would like. It is night time here now.

Take care,
Thomas

Shipping to LA??? It cost me 32.88 Euros to ship within Europe, so I would just charge you the difference. I wouldnt imagine it would be more than 20 Euros extra, but I will go to the post office tomorrow and ask if you would like. It is night time here now.

Take care,
Thomas
Thanks Thomas
I am still interested. It did just occur to me though... as long as you are asking, I would like to know if there is an import fee required on my end, and how much would it cost in addition to the shipping cost?
–Lori

Hi Lori,

I just got back from the post office. It will be an extra 10 Euros for shipping to America. They said it should be there within a week. Faster methods were considerably more expensive. They dont know if there is an import duty in America. You would have to ask in America.

Take care,
Thomas

I just got back from the post office. It will be an extra 10 Euros for shipping to America. They said it should be there within a week.

Take care,
Thomas

Ooh I believe Hawai'i is included in "America" at no extra charge. Hmmm, Pake Koa body with Hinoki top pineapple sounding good, better start selling off my non-pineapples.

Top Bottom