Harley Benton Eleuke SC100 PHP - inital review

bazmaz

Reaction score
Hi folks - my new BARGAIN uke arrived today - a Eleuke for £65!!

These are my initial views on how it arrived, looks etc - not really played it yet.

This is the SC100PHP model - I think its rosewood - basically a dark wood all over, fingerboard included. Its billed as a Soprano, but I have no idea why, as it is virtually the same scale length as my Mainland Concert. 20 silver frets.

Its branded Harley Benton, which is the Thomann company brand name, but it is clearly a Eleuke - came in Eleuke box, and Eleuke warranty card.

Finish is pretty much flawless, not a mark. One tuner needed a bit of a tighten (they are silver geared (open geared) with thankfully small buttons so it doesnt look like Mickey Mouse) Couple of fret ends need a very slight sanding but nothing too bad. Dark, kind of a matt gloss finish if you know what I mean (very smooth, but not mirror finish)

It has a wood nut and wood saddle (may think about changing the latter), and volume and tone pots on the face. On the base, standard guitar jack, plus two mini jacks, one for headphones, one for MP3 input. The guitar jack doubles as strap button, and there is another strap button on the back at the base of the neck.

It looks to my eyes to be a single piece of wood, which is impressive.

Came with MP3 player lead, and headphones - headphones are biggest piece of junk I have ever seen!

Also comes complete with rather nice rugged padded gig bag.

The uke arrived strung with some really nasty black, soft, low tension glossy strings. ugh. Terrible tuning, no sustain, and intonation WAY off on the G string. Wasnt even prepared to give them a chance, so on with Aquilas, and the thing now feels tight, and the intonation issue on G has gone away.

Its a solid little thing, and feels great and nicely balanced. Heavier than my wood ukes, but not much.

Had a very quick play on headphones - bit hissy, but not too bad - need an amp test to be sure. Like the tone control which has a very wide range of settings.

Anyway, based on looks and finish alone, I am very very very impressed - and for only £65 it seems a bit of a bargain.

All will be down to the playing though... review later in the week once it has settled in. With pictures!

10/10 so far though!

Last edited:
tuning, playing, tuning, playing this evening.

It doesnt sound like a uke, its different, but its fun!

Will give it a few days then review the sound. But I must say AGAIN, this thing was £65.

£65 for an electric uke, case, MP3 cable, all in impeccable condition, not sure how they do it...

action is spot on

volume across strings sounds fine. It just sounds like a guitar caopoed

one minor gripe found. fingerboard was dry as anything - remedied with fret doctor bore oil. I could see the oil being soaked up into the wood before my eyes!

That sticker above the mp3/headphone input: priceless! ;)

yes, thats bad aint it? It will be coming off.

But, what d'you expect for £65?!

Update, having now played it!

Aquilas have settled, and I love it. Bang on intonation and better sustain - really comfortable neck to play on. Sound is kinda chimy, not uke like, as I've said, like a capoed guitar.

What I adore though is the fact I can plug my ipod in, plus headphones, and listen to a track, and me playing over the top - very cool feature.

Sound through headphones hasnt got as much depth as when through an amp. Amplified sounds great, and a huge range of sounds from clean acoustic sounding to jarring overdrive.

Sounds great for strumming, great for choppy barre type chords (can make it sound very funky)

I'm very very pleased - and, I'll say it again... £65!!

Last edited:
I really don't need another uke.;)
I really don't need another uke.
I might need another uke in the future, maybe

OK! I really need a Harley Benton Eleuke SC100 PHP uke.:drool:
and I want one now.

She will kill me.

finbar :cool:

I really don't need another uke.;)
I might need another uke in the future, maybe

OK! I really need a Harley Benton Eleuke SC100 PHP uke.:drool:
and I want one now.

She will kill me.

Finbar,

Get it in January, then you have waited a whole decade. :D

Paul,

I'd love to hear a sound sample.

Surely 2010 is the last year of this decade. 2011 will be the first year of the next decade.

Every year is the last year of SOME decade.

We're almost done with the 200x decade and still no name for it. How about "Decade of the Uke"?

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Finbar,
Get it in January, then you have waited a whole decade. :D

I tried, I promise I did try, but January is 4 days away and I couldn't wait any longer.;)

I accidentaly pressed the submit button whilst in the Thomann shopping basket, suppose I'll just have to honour the purchase now.;)

you wont regret

String change (on mine) was absolutely essential. Also, fingerboard looked worryingly dry - soon sorted with Fret Doctor or Lemon Oil.

Otherwise, all great - I very very very (and I stress again, very) slightly deepened nut slots, but that was all.

I love playing mine - cool uke - very cheap!

Finbar,

That's fine. It will still be 2010 by the time you receive it. :D
The long wait has started.:( Two days have passed already.

you wont regret
I hope not Paul.
You would never believe the amount of jobs around the house I have had to promise to do , just to get the uke through the door.:rolleyes:

I meant to say what a good review this was, but I suppose you have realised that from the fact that I ordered one on the strength of it.

Did you deepen the nut slots to lower the action or was it because, as I'm sure that I've read somewhere about the strings slipping out of the shallow slots ?

My electric guitar playing Grandson might start taking my Uke playing more seriously when he hears this.

Top Bottom