Oh uke strap, where have you been all my life???

jer989

Reaction score
I was at my local music store the other day and decided to get a uke strap (well, actually I guess it's technically a mandolin strap, the kind that uses a strap peg on the bottom of the uke and ties around the headstock at the top).

I had been thinking about trying a strap (I have a concert Makala) just because I was having a hard time changing to some chords, and also because after playing for more than like 15 min the thumb on my fretting hand would get really sore at the joint (really frustrating).

So I grabbed my drill, installed a strap peg (turns out it's a little crooked, but not too bad for my first uke drillin') - and lo and behold - no more sore thumb - and changing chords is much easier not that I'm not holding the poor thing in a death grip.

Yes indeed, welcome to the promise land. I put a guitar strap on my ukes not too long ago and I HATE playing without one now. It makes everything so much easier!! I didnt have to drill any holes though bc I have pickups on both of my Mainlands and they are designed to work as strap buttons as well. Pretty neat. Anyway, congrats on the strap; now you can rock all night!! :music::rock:

I've got straps on all my ukes. they make things sooooo much easier.

Congratulations. I have a strap button on one uke, and a pickup on the other, so now I can finally play standing up. I'm glad to see you are able to rock out now as well. :)

I have a strong sense this would help me tremendously as well but all the pros seem to do great without one.... but yeah, I should get one as I especially have trouble going from open to closed chords quickly...

So does Dominator. As for me, I play lying on my back while watching TV so I have no problem switching chords! Standing, heck, even sitting, does become an issue though...

I've been resisting so far. Maybe if I get a tenor I'll give it a try.
I only have a tenor, and I only play sitting down. A tenor is large enough to rest on my right thigh for balance, so I don't really feel a need for a strap. For smaller ukes and/or female ukers with certain "protrusions" large enough to get in the way, a strap would probably be very helpful.

Standing up, I think a strap would absolutely be the way to go. :)

I find the strap helpful even if you are sitting down, and playing the uke away from your body. It helps hold up the neck just enough. Especially helpful on the light weight ukes, and concerts and sopranos. If the uke is head heavy, the strap becomes essential.

Having to clamp the uke with the right arm just deadens the sound. So, I am dubious of the advantage of that. It is a little less convenient to put a strap over your head, but that is way better than missing a chord change because the neck just moved out of position. You shouldn't have to think about that stuff at all when you play.

–Lori

Top Bottom