PDA

View Full Version : My UU Holiday Story

sukie
12-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Ever wonder whether UU has an impact on your life? Let me tell you my story.

I am the Program Director for a Meals on Wheels (MOW) program. One of my duties is to make sure the meals get prepared every day. The Thursday before Thanksgiving our cook turned in her resignation and said the following day would be her last. I immediately became the cook who was responsible for preparing 80 meals a day. (Thank you, Linda:mad:) I stumbled through the week of Thanksgiving and part of the next week wondering how I could keep my sanity and do my job as well as the cook's job. I was getting tired and terribly out of sorts. The Tuesday following Thanksgiving I was at Ukulele Orchestra practice which I attend with Lanark (and his lovely wife). We got to talking and he volunteered to stop by the MOW location the next day to check it out. He came and we chatted briefly. Within 15 minutes he had donned an apron and started helping out. He's been there every day since (luckily for him it's a paid position) and he is doing a FABULOUS job. He can cook up a storm, he's an extremely hard worker AND he's fun to have around. MOW would love to hire him on a permanent basis. He is that good.

ANYWAY -- here's how UU has made an impact for me: When I first started hanging around here I saw the UU member GX9901 was from my area. We exchanged messages and he told me about our local uke club, StrumMN. I, in turn, messaged UU's Lanark about StrumMN and that's where we met. When Lanark started the Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra I joined. The Orchestra meets every Tuesday night to practice. We've gotten to know one another and that's where I learned Lanark has cooked at some lovely restaurants around town. yada, yada, yada.....

SO........If it hadn't been for Ukulele Underground, I wouldn't have met either GX9901 or Lanark (and his lovely wife). If I hadn't found UU I would still be cooking 80 meals per day and quickly losing my mind. (I HATE to cook!)

I send a huge THANK YOU to everyone at Ukulele Underground for helping me turn a miserable situation into a wonderful experience.

Special thanks to GX9901 and especially Lanark!

Happy Holidays* to everyone!

Sukie

* - read Merry Christmas if you'd rather

Ronnie Aloha
12-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Merry Christmas to all! Great story. George has been very helpful to me too from 3,000 miles away.

I'm still waiting for him to update his blog. Its been a while.

ukeshale
12-18-2009, 06:25 AM
The magic of Christmas :D (and UU)

I'm glad everything's worked out :) Thank you to Lanark!

Happy holidays to all!

UkuleleHill
12-18-2009, 06:35 AM
So glad you found UU and you found your Family away from home!

Happy Holidays* to all!

*What Sukie said.

Melissa82
12-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Yay! Great story! :D

seeso
12-18-2009, 07:32 AM
It's amazing how things work out sometimes, eh? Merry Christmas, Sukie! :D

http://www.thedigeratilife.com/images/MerryChristmasCats.gif

RevWill
12-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Awesome story Sukie! It just confirms what we already know: UU is full of truly wonderful people.

UKISOCIETY
12-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, gosh. You're welcome! And here I was going to buy you a gift..! :)
Awesome story. Ukers are da best peoples.

It's amazing how things work out sometimes, eh? Merry Christmas, Sukie! :D

http://www.thedigeratilife.com/images/MerryChristmasCats.gif

This got me reaaaally dizzy, Seeso!

Melissa82
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, gosh. You're welcome! And here I was going to buy you a gift..! :)
Awesome story. Ukers are da best peoples.

This got me reaaaally dizzy, Seeso!I didn't even realise their faces were moving.

SailQwest
12-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for sharing that story, Sukie!

Papa Dave
12-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Great post! Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas, Sukie!

Sambient
12-19-2009, 04:26 AM
The best thing about this season, a sense of hope.
Thanks for sharing yours and blessings on you all.

Link
12-23-2009, 04:36 AM
This community is the best thing on the internet.

Hankthetank
12-23-2009, 04:45 AM
At first I thought this was going to be another story about your tongue in Faricelli's ear. He knows that's the gift that keeps giving all year round.
But instead I read this nice reminder of how the ukulele, UU and it's members have changed your life. People come into our lives for a reason. Thank you for that little reminder that we are family no matter what time of year it is.
Have a Merry Christmas Sukie! Can't wait to see you again.

sukie
12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
...People come into our lives for a reason...

You know, Henry, that's really true.

Merry Christmas to you too!