PDA

View Full Version : MAINLAND UKULELE's Whats the word?

Sic_Rob
12-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Hello,

I am looking for my first real ukulele. I bought a uku for $50 to see if i liked it and found I did. Now I want a better one. I was trying to keep the price under $600. To make a long story short (TO LATE!) I am seriously looking at MAINLAND. The have a great rep. Everything I read says they are great. the reviews that I have read said either people love their new Mainland or the other people said it's their next purchase. it also comes in way under budget. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between their Classic Mahogany and their Red Cedar model? Is there a sound diffeence or is it only an appearence thing? I have heard that Mike from Mainland is out here so if you want to let me know personally Mike, please do though evveryone's opinion is welcome and appreciated.

Rzr
12-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Cedar is supposed to be brighter sounding.
Mahagony mellow.

If you want to talk to Mike send him a message "hoosierhiver" is he.:)

brickerenator
12-18-2009, 08:17 AM
I prefer the look of my mahogany. :)

Love it compared to my Mahalo and Makala

Sic_Rob
12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I posted a question asking people preference about Koa and Mahogany. I keep hearing Koa is Brighter. So I guess it's safe to say the Red cedar is more like Koa and the Mahogany is more say.... Mahogany? Thanks. that helps a lot. Oh and thanks for Mike's name. UU DOES IT AGAIN.

RevWill
12-18-2009, 08:22 AM
The word is GREAT!

You have chosen wisely, and you won't go wrong with anything in the Mainland line.

I like the red cedar for its brightness and punch. Others like the mellower sound of mahogany. And Ukisociety has some Mango that he is very, very fond of.

My red cedar tenor is just a brilliant instrument. And with your budget you can have Mike pop a Mi-Si pickup under the bridge and go electric!

Sic_Rob
12-18-2009, 08:22 AM
brickerenator, can you tell me more about your Mainland? have you owned or played many others? what made you pick mainland? Are you happy with it?

brickerenator
12-18-2009, 08:27 AM
brickerenator, can you tell me more about your Mainland? have you owned or played many others? what made you pick mainland? Are you happy with it?

Just got it today :D

I tuned it by ear (using a online tuner that plays the notes through your computer speakers) and the wood and strings haven't settled in completely, and it still sounds 1000 times better than a makala soprano.

The frets and action are spot on, love the geared tuners, they move very smoothly.

Loud as a cannon! (mahogany) Has very nice tone, bright, warm, full, love the bit of bass it gives.

phanzo
12-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Cedar is supposed to be brighter sounding.
Mahagony mellow.

If you want to talk to Mike send him a message "hoosierhiver" is he.:)

Ramon nailed it on the head. I have 2 Mainlands and I LOVE them both. I got a Concert Mahogany a couple weeks ago. Right out of the box it sounded a little dull and "closed in." That being compared to my Honeybee Soprano which I got used from a fellow UU'er which sounded AWESOME right out of the box.

After about 4 days, the Mahogany really started opening up and it started to sing. After about a week the strings were nice and "broken in" and started to sound really good. I honeslty couldnt be happier. Best investment ever. You couldn't get a better uke for $300

I suggest you take that $600 and get 2 of them :D

I added note, I have pickups in both of mine. The pickups also serve as strap buttons which is really cool. Just sayin'...

UKISOCIETY
12-18-2009, 08:42 AM
2 words:

Man-go.

mangomangomangomangomangomangomangomangomangomango .

rpeters
12-18-2009, 08:44 AM
From what I've been reading this is the progression of ukes many of us have or are taking.

$50 range
1. Kala
2. Lanakai
3. Mahalo
$100-200
1. Kala
2. Lanakai
3. Riptide, Flea, Fluke?
$200-300
1. Mainland
2. Bushman Jenny (Poor customer service)
3. Ohana (Ohana above bushman?)
$500+
1. KoAloha
2. Pono
3. Ohana

bazmaz
12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Cedar = brighter
Mahog = mellower

I have a mahogany concert Mainland - I absolutely adore it, and as its fairly new, and the wood is opening up, its sounding better and better with every play.

Its warm, its gorgeous, its brilliant

ukecantdothat
12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
The great thing about the Mainland is that for about $425-ish (concert size) you can get the uke, an awesome under saddle pickup AND a hardshell case, all with customer service that's about as good as it gets. When I'm rich and infamous, I'll get all kinds of ukes, but for now I only have the Mainland concert, mahogany gloss, and (after months of agonizing and researching) I couldn't be happier with the choice.

phanzo
12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
The great thing about the Mainland is that for about $425-ish (concert size) you can get the uke, an awesome under saddle pickup AND a hardshell case, all with customer service that's about as good as it gets. When I'm rich and infamous, I'll get all kinds of ukes, but for now I only have the Mainland concert, mahogany gloss, and (after months of agonizing and researching) I couldn't be happier with the choice.
:agree::agree::agree:Couldn't have said it better myself. I agonized for MONTHS. Finally got a slotted head mahogany concert with mi-si and a gator skin case with hygrometer for $420, shipped. Can't beat that and I really couldn't be happier!! Shoot Mike from UkeRepublic an e-mail as well and he'll be able to help you out, that's where I got mine. You can find him on UU as UkeRepublic as well. He's a great guy and will hook you up nicely. Going through Mike from Mainland is equally good though. He's super nice and will make sure everything gets done correctly. Can't go wrong with either Mike.

Sic_Rob
12-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Does anyone know where Mainland Ukulele company is located?

brickerenator
12-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Indiana

or

http://www.mainlandukes.com/index.html

RevWill
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
all with customer service that's exactly as good as it gets.

Fixed that for ya.

brickerenator
12-18-2009, 10:31 AM

I'd like to amend my answer

"every where there is a mainland, mainland uke co is there."

greg_usa
12-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I bought a Mainland Concert Mahogoney about 2 months ago and i ADORE it. I got the slotted headstock version which I think is fairly new... not sure if that affects the sound or playability - i just thought it looked cool as hell.

As far as the red cedar - I tried that at the shop too.. just as cool -really loved that one too - just different. the red cedar has that bright poppy sound (like everyone has been saying)... if that's hard to visualize by the description- I'd say it's closer to the standard 'planky planky' uke sound you probably think of... at least it was for me... :) And in my humble opinion - I think the darker look of the mahogoney is a little nicer too.

Hope that helps!

greg_usa
12-18-2009, 11:01 AM
and check out the hard twill case they have - SO DOPE!

ukecantdothat
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM
(Originally Posted by ukecantdothat:)
all with customer service that's exactly as good as it gets.Fixed that for ya.Thank ya, Reverend... My bad. Also, I believe Mike at Mainland goes by the name hoosierhiver on UU, and not UkeRepublic as stated above, unless he's double-dipping here. Salt Of The Earth, that man.

(Oh, E-zackly... ;))

leftovermagic84
12-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Thank ya, Reverend... My bad. Also, I believe Mike at Mainland goes by the name hoosierhiver on UU, and not UkeRepublic as stated above, unless he's double-dipping here. Salt Of The Earth, that man.

(Oh, E-zackly... ;))

Two different Mikes, both sell ukes, but Hoosierhiver is the owner and operator of Mainland Ukes, UkeRepublic is a distributor. Then there's MGM, a third Mike. I think it's a requirement to sell ukes...

JCUK
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Another very happy owner of a Mainland concert mahogany here. I don't have a lot of experience with ukes (I've come to ukes through guitar and mandolin), but it's a terrific little instrument, which arrived well set-up, and continues to improve as I play it. I doubt it's possible to regret getting one.

iDavid
12-18-2009, 01:34 PM

sounds like what I am doing right now!

ukecantdothat
12-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Two different Mikes, both sell ukes, but Hoosierhiver is the owner and operator of Mainland Ukes, UkeRepublic is a distributor. Then there's MGM, a third Mike. I think it's a requirement to sell ukes...Then there's Mikey. He won't eat it. He hates everything...

(I can't be the only old fart here who remembers that old riff!);)

JT_Ukes
12-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Then there's Mikey. He won't eat it. He hates everything...

Hey Mikey! He Likes It!

haolejohn
12-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Thank ya, Reverend... My bad. Also, I believe Mike at Mainland goes by the name hoosierhiver on UU, and not UkeRepublic as stated above, unless he's double-dipping here. Salt Of The Earth, that man.

(Oh, E-zackly... ;))

To clear things up.

UkeRepublic-Mike in Georgia that sells ukes
HossierHiver-Mike at Mainland that sells and makes ukes
MGM-Mike in Hawaii that sells ukes
SpecialMike-Mike that doesn't sale ukes for a living:)

There are many mikes here and they are all loved by us.

hoosierhiver
12-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Then there's Mikey. He won't eat it. He hates everything...

and the subsequent rumors of what became of Mikey.:eek:

iDavid
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
and the subsequent rumors of what became of Mikey.:eek:

When are you getting some High Gloss Mango Tenors and Concerts in?

Sic_Rob
12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Mike, Were your ears ringing?

Sic_Rob
12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I think the slotted head is pretty sharp also. Does it do anything to sound?

Ahnko Honu
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
To clear things up.

UkeRepublic-Mike in Georgia that sells ukes
HossierHiver-Mike at Mainland that sells and makes ukes
MGM-Mike in Hawaii that sells ukes
SpecialMike-Mike that doesn't sale ukes for a living:)

There are many mikes here and they are all loved by us.

Don't forget this Mikey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wJt3pRY0w

ukecantdothat
12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
When are you getting some High Gloss Mango Tenors and Concerts in?Hey, Mikey... Ever gonna go in fer that there spalted mango, or are y'all on a low-spalt diet. Dems shore am perty, don't it? Never heard one before, but the world does look nicer with that fungus amungus. Is it the koa shortage that's making luthiers use this wood. Spalted maple, too, I just don't recall there being so many ukes and guitars being offered with it commercially before. The only time I even remember seeing the stuff before was in woodshop. It makes gorgeous bowls and other carved arty stuff.

UkuLeLesReggAe
12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
i have mellow ukuleles... I think, well... nothing compared to a spruce top or something. However, I would go with the mahogany.

UkuEroll
12-18-2009, 10:58 PM
I love my Mahogany Concert, now I want the Cedar, the trouble is so does the wife and I don't like sharing my Ukes, so guess i'll have to get saving.

hoosierhiver
12-19-2009, 01:34 PM
When are you getting some High Gloss Mango Tenors and Concerts in?

April at the latest.

phanzo
12-19-2009, 01:47 PM

(Oh, E-zackly... ;))

Yea Mike (UkeRepublic) from Uke Republic is a completely different guy than Mike (hoosierhiver) from Mainland. As was stated above. Both are awesome to deal with.

CountryMouse
12-19-2009, 03:06 PM
So I'm understanding that mahogany is mellower, red cedar is brighter. What is mango like?

CountryMouse, who is gonna have to save for at least half a year or more to get a Mainland, but who eventually WANTS one!

haolejohn
12-19-2009, 03:13 PM
mango:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcVET3c9p1s

koa top mahaghany back and sides and solid koa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4r-y979ro

and solid koa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYAhNR1Mrkw

I had a video with a mango, mahghany, koa, spruce top, and cedar top but i can not get it to upload to YT or to load on my computer.

Doc_J
12-19-2009, 03:28 PM
John,

For me, the mango sound is my least favorite. Mahogany sounds the most "complete" to me. Koa has a wonderful sound, a bit more "punchy" and with less bass.

UKISOCIETY
12-19-2009, 04:11 PM
So I'm understanding that mahogany is mellower, red cedar is brighter. What is mango like?

http://oybay.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/snl101myersrichman010704.jpg

Like buttah!

Honestly, the best sounding of the bunch, in m opinion.

iDavid
12-19-2009, 04:54 PM
John,

For me, the mango sound is my least favorite. Mahogany sounds the most "complete" to me. Koa has a wonderful sound, a bit more "punchy" and with less bass.

What dog is in your profile? I had a dog that looked exactly like that, she was the best dog I ever had!

haolejohn
12-19-2009, 05:17 PM
John,

I think I'm in your boat:) I regret getting rid of my mahaghany ukes. I thought my mango had a quiet sound but the gentleman that got it strung it up with alvarezs and said it sounds like buttah:) I do like the looks of koa ove mahaghany and that might be why most of my ukes are now koa. My top three wood sounds are mahaghany, koa, mango and when it comes to looks it is koa, mango, mahaghany.

iDavid
12-19-2009, 05:44 PM
I have a Mahogany bushman and a Pono in the house. I am trying to find a concert and a tenor to add to the tiny herd. I keep coming back to Mahogany.

However, acacia is getting my attention in a big way. Not sure how it would age, but it seems to have the warmth and sparkle. :nana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CILUxjnzTCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSnWfUAtVIA

Doc_J
12-19-2009, 06:21 PM
What dog is in your profile? I had a dog that looked exactly like that, she was the best dog I ever had!

That's Rafie; he's a pound dog, supposed to be Chihuahua (a really pudgy and old one). And like yours, he's a great dog. :)

iDavid
12-19-2009, 06:25 PM
That's Rafie; he's a pound dog, supposed to be Chihuahua (a really pudgy and old one). And like yours, he's a great dog. :)

Mine was also, and was suppose to be a Chihuahua also.

I am she sure wasn't. I've seen a few like her over the years; man I miss that dog.

Doc_J
12-19-2009, 06:34 PM

I am she sure wasn't. I've seen a few like her over the years; man I miss that dog.

If you're ever looking for a similar dog, try petfinder.com
It has links to all the local shelters.

iDavid
12-19-2009, 06:43 PM
If you're ever looking for a similar dog, try petfinder.com
It has links to all the local shelters.

I live in Northern Japan

KC8AFW
12-19-2009, 07:01 PM
http://oybay.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/snl101myersrichman010704.jpg

Like buttah!

Honestly, the best sounding of the bunch, in m opinion.

Really? I thought it was more like...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/103/1095546027.jpg

CountryMouse
12-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Ooookay: mango is like "buttah". Ehhh?

I'm also getting the impression that it's a combination of what wood is used plus what strings are on the uke. I'm looking for a nice soft mellow sound. :) When I eventually get a Mainland, it'll probably be pineapple-shaped for a richer, fuller sound. Is that contradictory to the "soft mellow"?

I don't know yet how I'll do with a concert neck--I haven't tried one yet. All I've experienced so far is soprano. So I'll have to see about concert or soprano. I have small hands--I know, I've heard all about how you do finger exercises and your fingers stretch...we'll see. :p

Thanks y'all! :)

CountryMouse

iDavid
12-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Doesn't the Mainland Pineapple have a soprano neck?

DeG
12-20-2009, 03:13 AM
Really? I thought it was more like...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/103/1095546027.jpg

That's the same thing I was thinking! :D

natsumi
12-20-2009, 03:50 AM

It looks exactly like a rat terrier to me, and they are similar in size to chihuahua's. Every rat terrier I've ever know has been a sweet, playful and very loyal dog. I think the shelters call them chihuahuas, because it's a popular breed, and people are turned off by the "rat" in the name, which is silly since they were bred to hunt rats.

PS: Sorry to contribute to the hijacking of the thread, but I love rat terriers. :o