MAINLAND UKULELE's Whats the word?

Sic_Rob

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for my first real ukulele. I bought a uku for $50 to see if i liked it and found I did. Now I want a better one. I was trying to keep the price under $600. To make a long story short (TO LATE!) I am seriously looking at MAINLAND. The have a great rep. Everything I read says they are great. the reviews that I have read said either people love their new Mainland or the other people said it's their next purchase. it also comes in way under budget. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between their Classic Mahogany and their Red Cedar model? Is there a sound diffeence or is it only an appearence thing? I have heard that Mike from Mainland is out here so if you want to let me know personally Mike, please do though evveryone's opinion is welcome and appreciated.

Cedar is supposed to be brighter sounding.
Mahagony mellow.

If you want to talk to Mike send him a message "hoosierhiver" is he.:)

I posted a question asking people preference about Koa and Mahogany. I keep hearing Koa is Brighter. So I guess it's safe to say the Red cedar is more like Koa and the Mahogany is more say.... Mahogany? Thanks. that helps a lot. Oh and thanks for Mike's name. UU DOES IT AGAIN.

The word is GREAT!

You have chosen wisely, and you won't go wrong with anything in the Mainland line.

I like the red cedar for its brightness and punch. Others like the mellower sound of mahogany. And Ukisociety has some Mango that he is very, very fond of.

My red cedar tenor is just a brilliant instrument. And with your budget you can have Mike pop a Mi-Si pickup under the bridge and go electric!

brickerenator, can you tell me more about your Mainland? have you owned or played many others? what made you pick mainland? Are you happy with it?

brickerenator, can you tell me more about your Mainland? have you owned or played many others? what made you pick mainland? Are you happy with it?

Just got it today :D

I tuned it by ear (using a online tuner that plays the notes through your computer speakers) and the wood and strings haven't settled in completely, and it still sounds 1000 times better than a makala soprano.

The frets and action are spot on, love the geared tuners, they move very smoothly.

Loud as a cannon! (mahogany) Has very nice tone, bright, warm, full, love the bit of bass it gives.

Cedar is supposed to be brighter sounding.
Mahagony mellow.

If you want to talk to Mike send him a message "hoosierhiver" is he.:)

Ramon nailed it on the head. I have 2 Mainlands and I LOVE them both. I got a Concert Mahogany a couple weeks ago. Right out of the box it sounded a little dull and "closed in." That being compared to my Honeybee Soprano which I got used from a fellow UU'er which sounded AWESOME right out of the box.

After about 4 days, the Mahogany really started opening up and it started to sing. After about a week the strings were nice and "broken in" and started to sound really good. I honeslty couldnt be happier. Best investment ever. You couldn't get a better uke for $300

I suggest you take that $600 and get 2 of them :D

I added note, I have pickups in both of mine. The pickups also serve as strap buttons which is really cool. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
From what I've been reading this is the progression of ukes many of us have or are taking.

$50 range
1. Kala
2. Lanakai
3. Mahalo
$100-200
1. Kala
2. Lanakai
3. Riptide, Flea, Fluke?
$200-300
1. Mainland
2. Bushman Jenny (Poor customer service)
3. Ohana (Ohana above bushman?)
$500+
1. KoAloha
2. Pono
3. Ohana

Cedar = brighter
Mahog = mellower

I have a mahogany concert Mainland - I absolutely adore it, and as its fairly new, and the wood is opening up, its sounding better and better with every play.

Its warm, its gorgeous, its brilliant

The great thing about the Mainland is that for about $425-ish (concert size) you can get the uke, an awesome under saddle pickup AND a hardshell case, all with customer service that's about as good as it gets. When I'm rich and infamous, I'll get all kinds of ukes, but for now I only have the Mainland concert, mahogany gloss, and (after months of agonizing and researching) I couldn't be happier with the choice.

The great thing about the Mainland is that for about $425-ish (concert size) you can get the uke, an awesome under saddle pickup AND a hardshell case, all with customer service that's about as good as it gets. When I'm rich and infamous, I'll get all kinds of ukes, but for now I only have the Mainland concert, mahogany gloss, and (after months of agonizing and researching) I couldn't be happier with the choice.
:agree::agree::agree:Couldn't have said it better myself. I agonized for MONTHS. Finally got a slotted head mahogany concert with mi-si and a gator skin case with hygrometer for $420, shipped. Can't beat that and I really couldn't be happier!! Shoot Mike from UkeRepublic an e-mail as well and he'll be able to help you out, that's where I got mine. You can find him on UU as UkeRepublic as well. He's a great guy and will hook you up nicely. Going through Mike from Mainland is equally good though. He's super nice and will make sure everything gets done correctly. Can't go wrong with either Mike.

Does anyone know where Mainland Ukulele company is located?

I bought a Mainland Concert Mahogoney about 2 months ago and i ADORE it. I got the slotted headstock version which I think is fairly new... not sure if that affects the sound or playability - i just thought it looked cool as hell.

As far as the red cedar - I tried that at the shop too.. just as cool -really loved that one too - just different. the red cedar has that bright poppy sound (like everyone has been saying)... if that's hard to visualize by the description- I'd say it's closer to the standard 'planky planky' uke sound you probably think of... at least it was for me... :) And in my humble opinion - I think the darker look of the mahogoney is a little nicer too.

Hope that helps!

(Originally Posted by ukecantdothat:)
all with customer service that's exactly as good as it gets.Fixed that for ya.
Thank ya, Reverend... My bad. Also, I believe Mike at Mainland goes by the name hoosierhiver on UU, and not UkeRepublic as stated above, unless he's double-dipping here. Salt Of The Earth, that man.

(Oh, E-zackly... ;))

Top Bottom