Broken Uke :(

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I was just wondering what was going to happen next... Well, a large object fell on my uke off my desk today. Any idea what I can do to fix it?

10968_213094273449_511453449_3241282_6905549_n.jpg

10968_213094283449_511453449_3241283_8071736_n.jpg

10968_213094288449_511453449_3241284_5967033_n.jpg

10968_213094303449_511453449_3241286_228304_n.jpg

Yep, it can be glued back together. I think a patch under the repair would be good, and it's in a place where tone won't suffer. It will still be a bit visible, but what the heck. Doc Watson wouldn't care...

You're Nelsonizing the uke...

Willie Nelson, that is...

Thanks guys, this is good to know. It's my only uke and I'm really bummed about it. It's just one of those times where it seems everything is going wrong, lol. I'll try and find someone in the area to fix it up for me.

Oh...

Get it fixed ASAP, and do not put tape on it. Keep it clean. The worst kind of repairs are when you have to deal with a dirty crack or break and/or tape residue. Even worse than that are the home repairs with what is always exactly the wrong kind of glue. It's amazing how many people quickly make damage worse and then take the result to a luthier for real fixing.

Ouch! That's horrible news, Melissa! :(

But as mentioned, it does look like it's repairable, although I wouldn't attempt it myself. I know you don't drive, so getting it to a repair shop is going to be a hassle.

I think this is the third horror story I've read here recently... someone had a book (?) fall off a shelf, another had a dancing toddler crash into one... just a reminder to all of us that we need to be extra careful when our ukes are out to try to keep them out of harm's way.

Hope you can get it fixed soon. :)

Ouch! That's horrible news, Melissa! :(

But as mentioned, it does look like it's repairable, although I wouldn't attempt it myself. I know you don't drive, so getting it to a repair shop is going to be a hassle.
I'm not sure. I'll find out sooner or later.

Dude.

At least you got the Luthiers to guide ya through the process. If I were in your shoes I'd do the repair myself. Its good experience. And when your done, ya can get yourself a Grizzly Kit!

The bigger piece that is broken won't budge. I think I'd just break it more, lol. I also can't tell what the smaller bit is from. If it's meant to be underneath the bigger broken part or if it's a part of it and it's supposed to be on the right of that bigger piece.

Ouch! I'm sorry for you and your uke. :( I hope it's better soon.

I will play a broken chord for you in honor of your instrument.;)

Sorry to see this Melissa. Especially since you were getting into videos. Let us know how it turns out.

All in all.... it's not too hard to do and you should have nice finishing result due to the satin finish........

Melissa

Those are indeed painful photos to view. It kind of looks like the broken piece that is hanging down has to somehow get back on the top side of the soundboard. A tricky maneuver if the wood is still attached near the neck. If you can get a real luthier to do the job... that would be best. But, if not, check with the luthiers lounge for advice on how to get the pieces back into place, what glue to use, and how to clamp it.

Good luck!!

–Lori

I just got another idea. Maybe a luthier could answer this one.
Could she remove the broken pieces, and add a pick guard of some kind to cover and stabilize the damage? Would that be cheaper? How would it sound?
:anyone:

–Lori

The broken piece should be glued back in, or if there's too much splintering (which I don't think is the case), it should be cut out cleanly and the area filled in with new wood. That is a kind of critical area of the top from a structural point of view. Bracing should be checked as well.

Hate to see that but it's really not that bad of a break. You definitely don't want to mess with it at all, take it to a local luthier just the way it is now and I have no doubt it'll be repaired good as new. Surfing Luthier sites I've seen amazing repair jobs on breaks far worse that that. All will be well.

Thanks everyone. It's playable and I'll be looking to get it fixed later. :)

If you are going to play it for a while before you get it repaired do everything you can to keep it clean. This is a simple repair as is, much more difficult if you get it dirty.

Top Bottom