Kanile'a factory tour photos

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
As a companion to my Kamaka tour thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23322), I figured I would put up some pictures from my tour of the Kanile'a factory in Kaneohe, which I visited last May.

Although some of you know I play my Kamaka 99% of the time, my Kanile'a has a very special place in my heart, as my first "real" ukulele. And as much as I love it for its sound, and looks, it is the special customer service of Joe and Kristen Souza that will make me a Kanile'a fan for life.

I bought my ukulele last December in California, but decided to tour their factory in May. I ended up taking the bus from Honolulu to Kaneohe, and got off at the wrong stop. I ended up walking about a mile to their factory, in the Oahu heat (I guess I should be happy I was on that side of the island!) and when I arrived, Joe and Kristen couldn't have been nicer. Kristen even said I should have called, they would have picked me up at the bus stop!

Joe took about an hour out of his day, to talk to us and take us through the factory -- I was lucky enough to see Aldrine's MaryJane as she was still in production stages!

The most amazing part was that even though I only met them once, I was shocked when I ran into them at the October Southern California Ukulele Festival, and Kristen shouted, "Joe, look it is Staci!" I couldn't believe they remembered not only my face, but my name.

I know the KoAloha folks have out of this world customer service (the stories here at UU certainly prove that), but it is hard for me to imagine two nicer folks in the ukulele industry than those at Kanile'a. The people at Kamaka were terrific, but the people at Kanile'a make you feel like family.

Here are just a couple of the photos I took that day...

When I first arrived, Joe and I posed in the front of the factory. We both are wearing Kanile'a Ukulele tshirts.
picture.php

The best use ever of binder clips.
picture.php

"Waimea" my Kanile'a K2 tenor gets the drill from Joe as he installs her strap button. I was trying not to faint, like an expectant parent.
picture.php

Joe Souza, "Waimea" and I pose in front of the hall of fame in their shipping area, filled with Kanile'as and some other brands used in the ukulele lessons in the nearby Windward Mall.
picture.php

I can't thank Joe and Kristen enough for giving me a wonderful day, and making me feel so special when I saw them again in October. My Kamaka may be my favorite ukulele to play, but my Kanile'a will always come from my favorite people in the industry.

Thanks for sharing WW.

Jack

What kind of strap button did you have put on? Was it silver, or something else? I am thinking of having the same thing done to my Super Concert Kanile'a. I am concerned it won't fit in the case anymore... or will the Styrofoam crush out of the way for it. Do you have one of those Uke Crazy cases (lightweight hard shell nylon covered standard)?

–Lori

What kind of strap button did you have put on? Was it silver, or something else? I am thinking of having the same thing done to my Super Concert Kanile'a. I am concerned it won't fit in the case anymore... or will the Styrofoam crush out of the way for it. Do you have one of those Uke Crazy cases (lightweight hard shell nylon covered standard)?

–Lori

The strap button was a gold one from StewMac. I dont actually care for gold, but since the tuners are gold, I thought it would match better. I actually keep it in a Kamaka hard case and the fur lining fits it no problem. Before that I had one of those ProTec cases and it fine in there as well. I dont think you would have any problem with it fitting. :)

–Lori

Adding on to what WW said, the Ko'olau cases, which I like, have a little indentation at the bottom for end pins.

Top Bottom