Thomann Harley Bentons, any good?

msaari

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm thinking about buying an ukulele. Are the cheap Harley Bentons sold by Thomann any good? The MSA models like this one, for example?

I'm looking for something that works, that isn't a toy, but isn't too valuable either, as I've got two little termites living in the house and I would like to let them touch the instrument as well.

I used to play guitar, but haven't played in years. I'm not sure if playing ukulele is something that'll catch with me, so I don't want to invest too much - but at the same time I know that if I buy an awful uke, playing it won't be fun.

Thomann also has some Lanikai models priced at 50 € or so, there's HU-212 and LU11 at least. How about these?

Also, tips about other online ukulele shops located in EU are most welcome.

Thanks,

not sure who they are made by, but Harvey Benton is just a re badge of something else. I bought a Eleuke from Thomann very cheap, branded Harley Benton, but came in Eleuke packing - clearly a Eleuke

I have been tempted by their solid spruce top uke soprano. Looks very plain, but might make a good beater

Yeah, that much I gathered, Harley Benton is a brand Thomann slaps on stuff made by others, mostly in China according to the Finnish Wikipedia.

Thanks for the video review, that was most helpful.

I bought a cheap Harley Benton to experiment with. The finish is OK but the sound it made was not good. I would not even give away the Ukulele for some one to start on as it was sure to disappoint! It is a bookend in my garden shed at the moment.

was it the solid top one, or the cheapie model?

It reminds me of this Ohana, which is listed at Suggested Retail $89(US).
http://www.ohana-music.com/sopr/sk15/master.html
Their body shapes are different, with the Ohana having a more defined waist. The Ohana also has friction tuners. I realize it might be twice as much as the one you're looking at, but it is discouraging to get a bad uke. You might end up spending more in the long run for a bad uke, and then a replacement uke. Ohanas are nice, and they sound good. You might have to have it set-up for you (action adjustment), but it might be included in the price if you get the right dealer.

–Lori

was it the solid top one, or the cheapie model?

It was the cheapest model I could get @£11 and is plywood.
Strangely enough I own a cheap Stagg US 10 also knocked together with alsorts and it has the most beautiful warm deep tone. Normans music has them for about £17 incl P&P try your Worth strings on one.

Top Bottom