Diastone ukuleles - anyone have any info?

ichadwick

Reaction score
I just picked up a Diastone soprano ukulele at a yard sale. Made in Japan, inside sticker says Model #14. Appears to be laminate mahogany with either rosewood or mahogany fretboard. Rosewood saddle. Decent shape, not bad sound - will improve with new strings.

Anyone know anything about his brand or model? Are they still in business? And if not when were they manufacturing?

Will clean it up and post a few pics shortly.

Diastone pictures

diastone_body_01.jpg

diastone_back_02.jpg

diastone_back_01.jpg

diastone_inside_02.jpg

Found a few comments on www.guitarsite.com that suggest the company folded in the mid-1970s. Apparently Takamine made some of their guitars (according to a few people who said that was on the labels), and one comment that Diastone made guitars for Martin when the Martin workforce was on strike. So this uke is probably 30-40 years old.

there's like nothing on this brand. haha I did a search on google and this was probably the most helpful one.. and evenso it's not much help. >.>;;

He has pics of his on there too. Just search for "Diastone" within the page.

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/default.asp?PMove=Next&SValue=1287&EValue=1312&lpage=149

and this one they talk about Diastone guitars:
http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Guitars/rec/1733/wwwboard/messages/123.shtml

I kinda want one though because I named my uke "Dia" haha

but anywho goodluck on finding anymore info on it. :)

Last edited:
Nice work shown in that photo. Mine's a bit simpler, however. Still not bad for something 30-40 years old. I searched online for a couple of hours and it's one of those companies that you get glimpses of, but little of substance. A rarity, I suppose.

I think a new set of strings will make a huge difference. I'm torn between keeping it or selling it to help finance another uke (maybe a tenor Fluke?). I'm not as much a collector as a player and if there is anyone who seriously wants to acquire it, I'm open to offers.

If that company doesnt exist anymore...dang put that uke in a case for the next 50 years then sell it for mucho american dollars!

lol

Diastone

These Diastone Ukeleles were built between 1955 and 1967. Although there is very little about them on line. They are highly collectible. The Number 11 models being the crowning jewel and could easily fetch $200 to $450 depend on condition.

Diastone

These Diastone Ukeleles were built between 1955 and 1967. Although there is very little about them on line. They are highly collectible. The Number 11 models being the crowning jewel and could easily fetch $200 to $450 depending on condition.

Kinda late but

These Diastone Ukeleles were built between 1955 and 1967. Although there is very little about them on line. They are highly collectible. The Number 11 models being the crowning jewel and could easily fetch $200 to $450 depending on condition.

I've been looking for info on my model 11 Diastone. Bought it at a hard sale for $15. got scratches and dings but plays great

Attachments

• IMG_20151023_211609897.jpg
    IMG_20151023_211609897.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 9
The Diastone was actually the path to my Kala ASAC-T...

I bought the same model 14 a few years back at a nearby garage sale for $15. I think the low price reflected the fact that the lady selling it thought it was a toy and even referred to it that way. It had a few more dings than yours, but similar looking wood. It initially grabbed my attention not just because it was a uke, but more for it looking like a Martin. It was missing two strings when I bought it, but I restrung it with a new set of fluorocarbons and it actually sounded nice and had a near perfect setup, I had to file the nut ever so slightly.

A fellow low uke player I knew through the local music shop saw it when I had it with me during a trip to the music shop. He explained how he owned one in the '80's and regrettably sold it and always wanted another. So after a bit of talking, he offered me an even swap for his nearly new and rarely play Kala ASAC-T, which I agreed to...

Sadly, I learned he passed away this past Spring. Not sure what became of his musical instruments, but I understood he had a big ukulele collection. He sure liked that Diastone, so there must be an appeal for them as he seemed to have an appreciation for older ukuleles.

I've been looking for info on my model 11 Diastone. Bought it at a hard sale for $15. got scratches and dings but plays great

We must have been shopping from the same price guide, LOL! $15 was what I paid for a model 14 from a crowded table of stuff at a garage sale. I typically don't have that sort of luck, but it's nice when it happens...

Top Bottom