G chord

LucasUK91

Reaction score
My Ukulele and tuner just arrived and ive learnt my C chord, A minor and F chord from some Youtube vids.

But im having loads of problems with my G chord, my fingers just seem to mess up and i cant change chords to it as easily as the others

anyone got advice, a link or a video to help me with my G chord please?

and which song do you recommend i learn first?

Assuming you're using simple versions of C, Am and F, then I suspect that it's not that you're doing anything wrong, but is just that a three-finger chord is very hard to start with. You need to train your fingers to do as they're told, and they will resist. :)

Just keep at it, over and over again, and then over and over again ... Try shifting from C to G and back again, repeatedly, however slow you are at finding the G position to start with. You'll find, in time, that you get quicker as the muscle-memory starts to form and your fingers start to feel more comfortable in the G shape.

Keep at it! It's tough to start with, but if you keep practising it won't be long before you can't imagine that you once couldn't do it. At that stage, of course, you'll be finding something else apparently impossible, and so it goes on ....

Good luck! :)

Don't worry. I've been playing for four months nonstop and I still have problems with that pesky G at times.
As Melissa and JCUK said, practice makes perfect.

In my uke ministry class I gave them a chord chart for "Blue Christmas" for fun, and it had 1212 as a chord in one spot. A few people said, "Ooooh, that's a hard chord." Another guy said, "Yeah, it is hard. But so was G7 when we first learned it!"

Positive attitude goes a long way. And yes, practicing the specific transition to and from it in an actual song is the way to go.

I vaguely remember having some trouble with G when I first started, but if you practice songs that have lots of G's in them, you'll find they get much easier very quickly. Now I find it one of the easiest chords to play, but until you posted, I had forgotten that initially I found G challenging.

Other chords, like Bb, take MUCH longer - at least for me. :mad:

In my uke ministry class I gave them a chord chart for "Blue Christmas" for fun, and it had 1212 as a chord in one spot. A few people said, "Ooooh, that's a hard chord." Another guy said, "Yeah, it is hard. But so was G7 when we first learned it!"

Positive attitude goes a long way. And yes, practicing the specific transition to and from it in an actual song is the way to go.

I LOVE that song! Care to share the chord chart (just in time for Christmas)?

I LOVE that song! Care to share the chord chart (just in time for Christmas)?

Here's a version I just put up on YouTube. No G in it, but it does have that pesky Bb:

(Bb)I'll have a blue Christmas (F7)without you
I'll be so blue, just thinking (Bb)about you
(Bb)Decorations of (Bb7)red on a (Eb)green Christmas tree
(C7)Won't be the same, if (F7)you're not here with me

And when the (Bb)blue snowflakes start (F7)fallin’
That’s when those blue memories start (Bb)callin’
You’ll be (Bb)doin’ (Bb7)alright with your (Eb)Christmas of white
But (F7)I’ll have a blue, blue, blue blue (Bb)Christmas

G was so easy for me. But G7 wasn't. I think it is b/c I had a guitar background and a g shape is the same as a d shape on guitar.

Here's a version I just put up on YouTube. No G in it, but it does have that pesky Bb:

(Bb)I'll have a blue Christmas (F7)without you
I'll be so blue, just thinking (Bb)about you
(Bb)Decorations of (Bb7)red on a (Eb)green Christmas tree
(C7)Won't be the same, if (F7)you're not here with me

And when the (Bb)blue snowflakes start (F7)fallin’
That’s when those blue memories start (Bb)callin’
You’ll be (Bb)doin’ (Bb7)alright with your (Eb)Christmas of white
But (F7)I’ll have a blue, blue, blue blue (Bb)Christmas

Great minds think alike - I just posted some chords for Blue Christmas, too! :)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=282194#post282194

Hi, I am in the bubs class too!

What I am finding helpful is to take a mental note of how my hand feels when in a position for strumming a "sound" note. With my Bb (boo hiss) I'm noticing the fingernail of my index finger under the pad of my middle finger and also which part of the uke is pressing into my hand so I have a feel of how my hand is twisted to get in the right position. Also If sitting to do your practicing, try to sit so you left arm has a free motion and is not hampered by back/arm of chair, makes it easier to twist your left arm/hand around. Finally don't think you need to practice for an hour! If your going well, keep at it but if they're getting off key, take a break (come for a thread chase here!!!) then a bit more. I'm just relaying how it's working for me.

Enjoy, Tony

Be glad to know if i'm thinking straight on this???? I havent seen any such advice offered to newbies so please shoot me down if I am a dunderhead!!!!

Last edited:
G was so easy for me. But G7 wasn't. I think it is b/c I had a guitar background and a g shape is the same as a d shape on guitar.

But the G7 shape is the same as the D7 shape too so what is your excuse there?

huh? huh?

yeah.. didn't think so...

:)

Top Bottom