Rev Bill dolphin guestion

camelrides

Reaction score
Rev Bill I read somewhere that you bought like 16 dolphins from msm.. I just ordered two one pink and onw blue burst.. the pink one is alot thicker body.. did you notice in the colors you ordered this?? if so can you tell me the colors the thick body came in??
thanks
sandy

I did not notice any of the bodies being thicker than others. They may be but I didn't notice.

dolphin size

wow.. i know nothing about ukuleles and I saw the difference right away.. the pink one is 2 1/4 thick and the blue sunburst is only 1 3/4 thick. Also the thinner one has a messed up tunning thing.. YIKES. I have 3 more ukulele's coming from msm.. One kiwi, and two tenors.. I hope they are ok.. My first time ordering online.
sandy

We probably won't have practice over the holiday, but at our next practice I may have folks compare just for fun.

Quality control on the others should be better than on the dolphins - though the dolphins have a good reputation as entry level ukes go. I wouldn't worry too much about the others.

Have you contacted Michael about the bum tuner? How bad is it? Something we could walk you through fixing, perhaps?

wow.. i know nothing about ukuleles and I saw the difference right away.. the pink one is 2 1/4 thick and the blue sunburst is only 1 3/4 thick. Also the thinner one has a messed up tunning thing.. YIKES. I have 3 more ukulele's coming from msm.. One kiwi, and two tenors.. I hope they are ok.. My first time ordering online.
sandy

Can you post pictures showing the difference in body thickness? First time I have heard of this on a dolphin. I wonder of the laminate body, and plastic body Dolphins are different. We all know who MGM and his high quality reputation but not sure who MSM, want to make sure there is not confusion as to what seller you dealt with. Thanks.

Sorry I just realized I called you Rev Bill not Will.. sorry..
I did e mail msm but no answer yet. I dont anything about tuners.. but a friend of mine says it will need repair at A shop.. My problem is I live in the boonedocks and town in 75 miles away. So that is why Im kinda worried about the other uks on their way for xmas. It will probaly cost more to have it fixed with travel and time.. than A cost of another one. So that is why I was asking the thickness question. I like the look of the more thicker ones. I just hate having to give one of my grandkids a broken one on xmas morning.

Ask him to send you a set of new tuners or at least a replacement for the broken one.....

It's just a matter of removing the broken one with a phillips head screwdriver and replacing it with a new one.... Just be sure you tell him which of the four tuners broke......

Can you post pics of the ukes?

It may be you have one of the older wooden body ones and one of the plastic ones. That could account for the difference in body thickness.

As for the the tuner, how is it broken? if the problem is it won't stay in tune, it may just need to be tightened.

Post a pic of the tuner too if you can.

JT

dolphin size

Hey guys I need to improve my eyesite.. I did order from Mgm Not MSM.. I ordered from him because of the great reviews about him. Im sure it will get handled.. Here is a pic of the two dophins.. as you can see one is thicker and that is the one I like.. Not sure how to check if older model or not.
camelride

I dont know how to post pic.. YIKES

Hey guys I need to improve my eyesite.. I did order from Mgm Not MSM.. I ordered from him because of the great reviews about him. Im sure it will get handled.. Here is a pic of the two dophins.. as you can see one is thicker and that is the one I like.. Not sure how to check if older model or not.
camelride

Sorry I uploaded pic to photobucket and put the link here but didnt work Maybe this will work

http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/yy219/camelride/?action=view&current=001_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok that link worked.. Also looked inside both with flashlight.. Both Plastic

tough to tell from that pic , I wouldn't worry about the differences, one does look to be plastic.

any chance of taking a pic that is not back lit of the sound holes/front?

Im sure they are both Plastic sides and back I can see that.. My only thing is if I need to send back the blue one (thinner one) I would like to get another color (for a boy not pink) that is thick like the pink one sent. I really think I can hear a difference in the tone of the thicker one.

Im sure they are both Plastic sides and back I can see that.. My only thing is if I need to send back the blue one (thinner one) I would like to get another color (for a boy not pink) that is thick like the pink one sent. I really think I can hear a difference in the tone of the thicker one.

This is strange but I am sure it's not mgm's fault. I have bought over 40 of these dolphins from ukerepublic and I haven't seen any noticeable difference in the thickness. I do know that you could have gotten one of the few bad apples out there maybe. Definately email mgm. I am sure he'll take care of you.

Can you tell me the colors you have ordered and the thickness of the ones you have received?? Im just wanting the dolphins to look the same. Kid you know how they are.. "mine is bigger than yours" Im not sure if the thicker ones are the older ones and the thinner ones newer..
Im not blaming MGM.. Im sure things bad things can sweak by.. I emailed him but have not heard from him.
sandy

Can you tell me the colors you have ordered and the thickness of the ones you have received?? Im just wanting the dolphins to look the same. Kid you know how they are.. "mine is bigger than yours" Im not sure if the thicker ones are the older ones and the thinner ones newer..
Im not blaming MGM.. Im sure things bad things can sweak by.. I emailed him but have not heard from him.
sandy

The ukes i have ordered are not with me. My students have them. I do know that i bought maybe 20 last year which were the older ones and twenty this year which are the newer ones. I can not tell a difference and none of the students can tell a difference between the two different ones. As far as thickness the tops aren't as thin as my koaloha but they aren't overly thick either. The main area of concern that I have encountered is in the paint. I have ordered just about every color that is available. I might have ordered every color. Just to put it into perspective if they are different colors they won't look the same:) I seriously doubt that the kids will notice the difference in the thickness of the two ukes.

Thanks for the info. I just wish could find out the normal size of these are.. With getting two different sizes Im not sure what one is the normal size.. Believe me the difference is really noticable. A friend of mine is also interested in getting a few for her girls and she also wants the bigger ones.. I know I can send back my thinner one because it also has a messed up tuner but just dont want to order more without knowing what will be sent. I still have not heard from MGM.. but it might be because it is Sun..

I'm going to work tomorrow and I can measure the thickness of the top of the dolphin that is in my room. I know that it's thickness is normal or at least what I have seen as normal.

Top Bottom