Triple Strum Question

GreyPoupon

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be agreement on the one right way to do a triple strum.

Most explanations involve the thumb and pointer finger - but not all.(One explanation I found enlists the thumb, pointer and ring finger.)

Some have the thumb doing two of the strums, some have the pointer doing two. Some start with the thumb going up, some start with the pointer going down.

Is there one right way, or is it more like: get three hits in a pattern really fast using multiple fingers - whatever way floats your boat type of thing?

thanks for any advice...

Triple strum

You want to learn it from
jake ?Go to you tube.com and search "Jake triple strum" There is an excellent video. Hope this helps

I'm not an authority on the subject, but I would say that there is no one right way. As long as it works, who cares if it's "right?"

I'm not an authority on the subject, but I would say that there is no one right way. As long as it works, who cares if it's "right?"

By "right" I do not mean the technique that conforms to Uke Orthodoxy but rather what has been shown to be most effective.

By "right" I do not mean the technique that conforms to Uke Orthodoxy but rather what has been shown to be most effective.

Jake teaches it two ways if you youtube it.

I personally think the Pointer Down, Thumb Down, Thumb Up is the most common and easiest to bring speed with.

The thing I had difficulty with was finding a way to keep each strum consistent in volume. I was using the pointer down, thumb up, pointer up method and found that my thumb up just did not produce any volume. I haven't found a way that I am happy with yet :(

A good friend of mine taught me that there is no right or wrong way. The most 'effective' way depends on what's wanting to be achieved in terms of sound/volume and what comes before or after. I've been taught to use four or five different methods. Experiment and find what sounds right for what you want to play.

Gotta go with the Jake pointer down, thumb up, pointer up method. It's clean, controllable, and can be as slow or fast as you need it to be. Jake YT link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymJX8Iza3YQ ...however, the pointer down, thumb up, thumb up is also just as nice. I have been using both but also use thumb up, pointer up, pointer down (if starting on the up beat). Let's not forget the quick wrist snap with just your pointer finger too, pointer down, pointer up, pointer down....e.lo...

Last edited:
if you're looking into speed, my friend taught me this one where you use your pinky and your pointer so pretty much you stick them both inward facing the strings and just go up and down like a regular strum. But for just a regular tripelet i like to use the pointer down, thumb down, pointer up. But it also varies on the type of feel you want. if you want to get really good, master all the combinations, this'll also help to improve your 8 finger strum and 10 finger strum.

Thanks

Keep comments coming but please know your thoughts are appreciated.

Yes, many years from now I hope to be able to perform all of these effortlessly, but it is helpful to hear people's preferences and why.

I don't have much experience, but find the index finger down - thumb down - index finger up to be the best, for the simple reason that if I'm just doing a swing strum, I would use my index finger for the down and up. Adding the thumb on the second triplet keeps the other two strums the same. Otherwise, you have a strum which changes every time you do a triplet.

i do my triple strum with my thumb and pointer doing one up strum each, and my pointer finishing off with a down strum.

Well I am finding the whole triple strum thing very humbling. I have sort of played the uke on and off for many years but treating like a small guitar. That works OK but now I am concentrating on uke strums and it is going to take some work-not ready for prime time.

This tutor by wininboy seems straightforward. His version of Roy Smeck's Ukulele Bounce shows it to be pretty effective. There are several other folks (Peter Nixon) who demonstrate Formby techniques. Like others, I have seen a variety of fingers used. This one makes sense to me but requires cocking the index finger and firing it twice in a row (upstroke and first downstroke) when repeating. Another fellow uses the ring finger, thumb and index finger upstroke effectively. Ukulelezaza seems to be using the same pattern as the clip below in his demo of Formby strums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyxSed6yb2Q

A question for GreyPoupon,

or anyone who reads this thread and is somewhat new to the triple strum, like me; how is it going? Personally I think I am making progress but very slowly.

I am making progress, but slow.

Working with pointer down, thumb down, pointer up. That seems to work for me.

Interesting that I found a written description from John King and he advocated all three with the pointer and no other fingers involved at all. (!)

Top Bottom