HELP! Uke strings - would C or no?

soojeng

Reaction score
Yo, I'm thinking of buying this ukulele from musicguymic.

I've heard a lot about people complaining about wound C strings, would you recommend changing them to just nyglut?

I don't really know cause atm I just own a cheap $30 soprano but I'd love to get a nice big tenor ukulele... does the kala translucent red mahog. tenor in the link (if the item hasn't expired already) sound alright? For its price? Would you recommend anything else for the under $200-ish price range?

I don't play technique-y stuff as much as I play just the chords to songs w/ sometimes some picking. I like to sing along, etc.

Also, high G or low G?????

Thanks... :cool:

Yo, I'm thinking of buying this ukulele from musicguymic.

I've heard a lot about people complaining about wound C strings, would you recommend changing them to just nyglut?

I don't really know cause atm I just own a cheap $30 soprano but I'd love to get a nice big tenor ukulele... does the kala translucent red mahog. tenor in the link (if the item hasn't expired already) sound alright? For its price? Would you recommend anything else for the under $200-ish price range?

I don't play technique-y stuff as much as I play just the chords to songs w/ sometimes some picking. I like to sing along, etc.

Also, high G or low G?????

Thanks... :cool:

Wounds got that harder feel and scratchy noise, changing them is always a plus.
For its price, you cant go wrong.
And low g would be better suited for your style.

Yeah, but if you go low G, you'll have at least one wound string, right? Or are there low G sets without a wound 4th string?

My advice is to buy a few different sets. They're relatively inexpensive, and you'll learn a lot more about them by actually playing them than you can by reading us talking about them.

I used to have this uke (w/o pickup). The GHS strings it comes with was alright (probably good enough for an occasional uke'r). I tried just about every brand of strings on this uke (Kala Red, Aquila Nylgut/Wound C, Ko'olau Gold, Hilo/Wound C, D'addario J71) with the exception of Worth strings. I'm not a big fan of wound strings (probably because of the finger sound and longevity issue).

I really liked the sound of the D'addario J71 strings this uke. You just have to get used to the tension.

ok, well it seems like all the low G strings have wound Gs, like in this sampler set, and all the high Gs have wound Cs?? What's really the difference?

I'm thinking of just getting the ones that come with the kala tenor, the aquilas with a wound C (i think), and separately ordering the d'addario j71 strings recommended by ukeguy510.

Anyone recommend any of the strings or string sets from musicguymic? I'd probably get a shipping discount that way.

Thank you so much to everyone to replied!!

p.s, seeso: i've seen you on youtube!! you are amazing :)

ok, well it seems like all the low G strings have wound Gs, like in this sampler set, and all the high Gs have wound Cs?? What's really the difference?

If you get a set of Low-G Worth strings, there aren't any wounds. The problem is that the Low-G string tends to feel a little bit floppy. You do get used to it after a while though.

Also, if you check around you should be able to find high-G sets without wound C's for pretty much all brands.

As far as the difference goes, the wound has a better tension than the plain nylon/nylgut/flourocarbon...wound strings also tend to be a bit louder...but they do sound metallic and get squeaky. For a the C-strings, I personally feel don't feel like a wound string is necessary.

As far as the Low-Gs go, I always go with a wound string. I used to use the Worth plain Low-Gs and once I got used to them, I didn't think they were that bad at the time. But, eventually I moved back over to wound Low-Gs. Again, a matter of personal preference.

I'd say not to worry too much about the strings right now. Strings are relatively cheap and you can always try another set later. So I'd say just slap a set on, play them, see what you like and don't like. Then, later, switch to a different set and figure out what you like and don't like about those...that's really the best way to find the string combinations that'll work best for you.

Good luck!

(Is it just me or are we getting a lot of string threads lately?)

All the sets that are included in that sampler set have wound G's, but there are low G sets with an unwound low G. I believe Worth makes one. Maybe Hilo too, I'm not sure. If you contact musicguymic directly through eBay, he may be able to make you a custom sampler set. But don't quote me on that. :D

Strings are wound to achieve the desired frequency vibration without having to have too large a diameter. The larger your diameter gets on unwound strings, the less that string vibrates. It becomes stiffer and the tone becomes duller. Metal windings fix that problem.

Some companies use a material that is dense enough to make a string that is smaller in diameter, like Worth. Worth uses fluorocarbon to make their strings, which allows for an unwound low G or C at a reasonable diameter with little loss of brightness or volume.

If you like Worth strings and your heart is set on a low G set, then those are the strings for you.

If you want to try a high G set, there are many options that have an unwound C. Either message musicguymic and tell him what you need, or check out ukuleleworld.com and check out the strings they have. On the product description they should tell you if their C's or low G's are wound or unwound.

Thanks for watching my videos, by the way. Have you subscribed to me? What's your YouTube screen name?

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Soojeng !

MGM lists that uke with Aquilas, but does not specify if standard or LowG set. The Aquila strings will not have a wound C, but will have a wound G if its strung for LowG. Most likely, it has standard (hi-g) strings on it, a quickie email to MGM will clarify that.

Personally, I don't like the feel of wound strings, so I don't use them. Until just recently, I used the Aquilas and they worked well for me, as I sure they would for you. If I were in your shoes (they would probably be pretty tight on me) -- I'd play on the strings that are shipped with it for a while, and decide later if you think a change is warranted, then you'll have a better understanding of where to make a change, if at all.

Looks like a good deal, from a reputable seller (and fellow UU forum member) who provides fast and friendly service. Go buy your uke, then stun us with the 'mad skillz' you learn here. :p

Above all, have fun!

Top Bottom